• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Anode - AKA where's our driver? Seriously!

yeah, I like putters that start out overstable in base plastic. In premium plastic putters I would rather have one that is already close to the sweet spot and the anode does that nicely. That and it can be powered down pretty well without getting super stable.

Ryan C said:
Bah, this is hype. They do not fly much farther than an Ion, which are already crazy long for a putter.
Not so, for me. The Ions I threw were quite stable, and while they had good glide, would hyzer out quickly towards the end of flight. My 170 soft Anode stays in the air longer, with later and less fade.

Frank Delicious said:
How much does the soft anode fade?

The soft anode I got flies like a soft wizard. Flies straight out to about 290-300 and then starts to fade out gently.

new013 said:
Yeah some Wizards can get on the same lines as the MVP putters, i'm so excited about the anodes because if I lose my anode I can just go buy another one. When you lose your Wizard you might have to go through 500 other Wizards before you find another one like the one you had.

I was smart...grabbed a handful of the run that I like. So I am good to go for a while.

new013 said:
BLURR said:
Picked up a Soft Anode after reading the high marks for it's distance off the tee(As far as putters are concerned). So far, not all that impressed. My G9i Wizards fly on the same exact lines as this thing. Maybe I should try a Medium Anode?!

Yeah some Wizards can get on the same lines as the MVP putters, i'm so excited about the anodes because if I lose my anode I can just go buy another one. When you lose your Wizard you might have to go through 500 other Wizards before you find another one like the one you had. Anodes have way more glide than the Wizard as well and I'm not sure what distances your throwing these things but I never got a Wizard to go 330' on a really straight line.
What sort of ceiling do you need to get a putter to go straight for 330'?

Close to 25' or so. Not that I've thrown my Anodes or Ions 330' (yet) but for me to get them out to 290-300' I've got to put a good amount of air under them.

Well I'm giving my 170 m anodes a fair (~month) audition for the putting spot in my bag. Thus far I really like the flight as I have made a few long putts and missed a bunch to the right compensating for the almost non-existent fade, once I start heading directly for the basket I'll be making more. What I don't like are some of the funky bounce outs I've been getting, has anyone else experienced this? Time will tell if they make the bag or not.

O and FWIW, the reason I am giving the Anodes a chance over my wizards for putting duties is because I would like to be able to approach / drive with my "putting" putters in order to cut down on the amount of putters I carry. I only used my "putting" wizards for chains duties because I don't like putting with warped putters and a firm tree hit can bend a wiz for life.

uNicedmeMan said:
What I don't like are some of the funky bounce outs I've been getting, has anyone else experienced this?

I've had some weird bounce outs with MVP putters. On some baskets there's a sweet spot right at the base of the chains, above the ring that holds them all together at the bottom, that has kicked my MVP putters straight back out of the basket on numerous occasions. The damn overmold grips the chains all the way through the rebound of that ring, where my stiff Aviars would just slide down.

You can throw MVP putters much lower than Wizards and get the same distance. I was out at Rosedale last night and played hole #3 in the long right position (http://playdg.com/courses/?s=KS&c=rosedale&h=3. I threw an Annode 8-10 feet off the ground with a 10mph tailwind and got it to reach the bucket on a rope. I would not feel comfortable throwing that shot with a Wizard.

Mike C said:

Like at 0:41 on that video? WTF! I put my "putting" wizards back in the bag for league night tomorrow as I just can't trust the Anodes when money is on the line... I'm not putting them away for ever but I can't trust them when it counts.

Just got an Anode yesterday and took it for a spin (third round of the day, I was pretty tired at that point). I'm definitely a fan already, it felt great while driving (though I underestimated it constantly, putting unnecessary hyzer on it) and work equally nicely on approaches and putting too, and feels a bit better in my hand than my IONs to boot. Not switching over totally yet, but I will keep one in my bag.

OK, I'm officially smitten. It's as straight as the old IONs, but more HSS, so tolerates wind and OAT better (it's harder to turn than my new clear DGR IONs). The glide is very nice, the speed also, and I don't think I've ever dialed in this quick with a disc before.

Simply put, it's everything I fell in love with with the old IONs with added distance and reliability.

Very first throw with my new Soft Anode was a 35' uphill putt yesterday and I nailed it. I've had a handful of tosses with it since then and am liking it a lot, but I'll keep it on the bench for now until after the tournement this weekend.

I just grabbed a few anodes a couple weeks ago and I've noticed the flight plates are all sunken in (two are hardly noticeable but one is at least a quarter of an inch). Is this normal? Will it have a noticeable affect on the flight? Is it worth trying to fix or no?

I'm always surprised at how stable they are when I drive with them, and I love how they fall forward on putts instead of dying off to the left when they slow down the way my wizards did.

Mine are slightly sunken in and fly great so no probs and i ain't touching mine. Don't fix what ain't broken. Sunken flight plates give better grip. Of course a taller dome would slow the disc down a little and make it glide more but i don't see a lack in the flight paths as it is and a lower disc cuts through the wind better.

Thanks for the reply JR, I won't be messing with mine either. They really do fly great and have ample glide, just not having thrown any before, I wasn't sure if the ones I had were normal or not.

I do think it is a game, a child's game dappled with drugs, cursing and the occasional demon rum.

Sorry if this was covered, but the thread is huge. Is the Anode a copy of something? I'd like to find the closest disc to it in a different plastic. Thanks.