• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

i like it, but it seems real close to my heavy Opto Fuse. Maybe a little more stable, but on some shots I don't which one to use. This concerns me greatly. More throws are needed. And a lighter Axis.

i like it, but it seems real close to my heavy Opto Fuse. Maybe a little more stable, but on some shots I don't which one to use. This concerns me greatly. More throws are needed. And a lighter Axis.

Right on the money. I couldn't quite figure out why the more I used the Axis, the less impressed I was with it. It doesn't play in the wind and is nose angle sensitive just like my heavy opto fuses. I was expecting the Axis to not be touchy, but it may be as touchy as my fuses. Without just the right snap it's just going to fall out of the air, not good for tighter fairways where finesse is necessary (yeah, call it bad form, I know, but it makes it fudgin hard to throw in the woods). From my experience, at my power level, the axis is simply another mid-range. It's some androgynous mix of a mid-ranges that doesn't really outshine anything I've thrown in that spot.

i've tested my axes lately and while they're nice discs i don't think they'll stay in the bag. they're comfortable to hold, but when i grip them i don't seem to get a lot of pressure on the inside rim from my index finger. i noticed this with the ion too. so when i throw the disc i tend to get a lot of inconsistent releases. i'm sure if i work with it a bit i can get the hang of it, but i really don't want to relearn a new grip when i am happy with my wizards and buzzzes.

i did manage to get some really long straight throws with the axis but at this point i want to stick with what is working well for me. i've been trying to rid myself of mistakes in my throw this year and don't want to spend the time adjusting to something different.

There's been a lot of interesting discussion here...I think Jubuttib made every point in his last post that I would have covered regarding Comets, Axis, and gyroscopics. I would add that I think gyroscopic weight distribution is a big step forward in disc design because it is the one thing discovered other than aerodynamic shape that can make most designs fly better. I will also reiterate the point that gyroscopically weighted discs potentially magnify the effects of OAT, so those without clean throws may not reap the benefits of these discs that those with a clean throw will.

Regarding Axis vs. Fuse...I was using the Vector/Fuse combo before adding the Axis, and I have to admit that the Axis has taken more Fuse shots than it has Vector shots. My Fuse is beat, but really the only thing it does that my Axis won't is flip more than a few degrees on a power shot. I've been able to finesse my Axis on any other line that my Fuse does, and the Axis IS better in the wind than the Fuse. It does surprise me a bit that the Axis overlaps as much with the Fuse as it does (especially heavy ones)...The Axis even holds a truer anhyzer line with a tailwind as the Fuse stalls earlier on this same line.

After more time and rounds with the Axis I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely going in the bag. It really excels in hitting gaps because it holds lines so well, it's easy to judge how you want to approach lines because you know the Axis will stick to it. The other thing I love about it is its slight anny/hyzer lines that just glide. It makes it really easy to work straighter fairways right to left and left to right with just a little bit of snap. This allows you to put more focus on aim instead of trying to get it out there distance wise. The last thing I think it's great for is approaching on tight and low lines. It fades out so much later than earlier when powered down that most mids and again it only takes a little bit of snap to get it there.

I couldn't quite figure out why the more I used the Axis, the less impressed I was with it.

i hate to admit i agree with you...like i said a few pages back another 2 rounds with them and the buzzz will be back! :wall:

i hate to admit i agree with you...like i said a few pages back another 2 rounds with them and the buzzz will be back! :wall:
If you ever want faster and more overstable than a Z Buzzz then there's a disc called the Vector which is perfect for that. I forget who makes that Vector disc but it must be somebody amazing... :p

If you ever want faster and more overstable than a Z Buzzz then there's a disc called the Vector which is perfect for that. I forget who makes that Vector disc but it must be somebody amazing... :p

i know part of that was sarcastic, i just hope you saw the vector in my signature:rolleyes:

I have a super clean release, but like another has posted, I am having a hard time getting leverage on the disc for the requisite snap that it needs to fly as intended. Maybe that's my real issue with it. I'm not sure if it's mental or what, but regardless, I probably need to work it in the field for a while. Now if we could just get a calmer day here in Dallas....:rolleyes:

Field tested a new 179g yesterday for @ 1 hr. I was impressed that I was able to get it out to @ 350'! The glide was quite nice, held anny/hyzer lines nicely, and had a predictable fade. I also threw some powered down shots, and liked the S curves it produced. A few flicks and tommy shots were OK, but I'm mainly RHBH...
I also noticed that it was somewhat angle sensitive, and, that the proton plastic scratched very easily.
It will have a place in my bag for now, just to get in a few rounds and see how well it seasons in.

Played two rounds on a wooded/hilly course today. Used the Axis and Vector alot...I'm finding they both do very well when I SLOW DOWN my throw and keep it smooth. 300 ft is no problem and 275 on shaped lines seems really controllable.

I get into trouble when I rush it and get sloppy. Still adjusting to them from the Buzzz but I'm willing to give them a few months to really work them over. I'm curious to see what both of them will do when they get beat up a bit...

I was looking to start driving with some of my putters and mids to help tweek my drives a bit. Would the axis be a good choice for trying to lessen OAT in my throws? I'm a forehand thrower, sometimes a bit sloppy with alot of OAT

So it was 70 degrees when i got out of work today. And i had left my Axis in the trunk of my car. They were nice and easy to throw with good grip. I was able to get some 300ft throws in on some tight s-curves. Good disc when the weather is right. Unfortunately I see no advantage over Lat64 cores at this moment in my limited career.

Used my axis for the first time today, while I liked the flight generally the crazy bounces this thing takes off trees might keep it from making my bag

Used my axis for the first time today, while I liked the flight generally the crazy bounces this thing takes off trees might keep it from making my bag

My Axis barely kicks at all off trees...About half as much as a Z Buzzz.

My Axis barely kicks at all off trees...About half as much as a Z Buzzz.

The bumper car rim does give a little bit of a bounce, but definitely not as much as some plastic. Though if you want to get a good Mid that has literally no kick, a dark blue HPP Scout is perfect.

The more and more I play with my Axis, the more I like it. Still haven't gotten it down entirely, but I can literally do anything with it. If I had to play with one disc, it would be the Axis, hands down.

My Pro and cons list for the Axis

Pro
- Durable
- Glides nicely
- Holds nice lines
- Felt solid in the hand

Con
- Little more oat sensitive then the disc it was competing to replace
- It was kind of a tweener disc with my bag set up. It felt between a buzz and a fuse/meteor/comet. I felt if I kept it in my bag, I would need to reevaluate all my mids.

I am going to keep the axis to mess around with it some more but it is just difficult for me to pin point its place in my bag.

Cheers - Koffee

What you describe sounds just like my green 178, but my 180 orange is another notch in the overstable direction. Sounds like you might like that particular Axis more.

I've been carrying a Vector, Axis and Fuse and I really like this setup.

Last edited:
What you describe sounds just like my green 178, but my 180 orange is another notch in the overstable direction. Sounds like you might like that particular Axis more.

I've been carrying a Vector, Axis and Fuse and I really like this setup.

Yeah good point I need to test a larger sample.

Is orange 180ish looking like that most OS color?

Cheers - Koffee