• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Black Hole vs Instep

Strauss

Eagle Member
Finally pulled the trigger on an MVP Black Hole Pro basket, and it arrived today. I literally just finished assembling it and came inside to post up some comparison photos. Obviously as soon as I started snapping a couple pictures, it started to rain :thmbdown:

First off, the MVP was extremely easy to assemble. I didn't even need to look at the included directions, and it probably didn't take a full 2min to put together. The construction feels pretty solid, and the chains look to be be a solid quality for the price. For $140 shipped to your door, this basket looks to be a STEAL!

I've had my Instep for about 5yrs now. I paid $70 for the basket itself, then I added an inner row of 7 chains along with brass rings to hold the chains together at the bottom for both the inner and outer sets. It cost me another $30 in materials to add the inner chains and brass rings bringing the total number of chains to 21. Honestly, the modded Instep has been a GREAT basket for the $100 invested. I leave it outside the entire summer, only bringing it inside for the winter months. The basket has held up very well over the 5yrs, with the chains still looking brand new. Only wear has been the red paint on the basket itself fading, and the original flag falling apart. And with the added chains, the basket catches very well. My main gripe with the Instep was the shallow basket (cage). Low putts that sometimes would be makes to the left or right will rim around the inside of the basket and fly out the other side. And the exposed nubs on the top ring will bang up your putters over time. The catching area was also too wide, but I fixed that by bringing the outer chains in a bit with zip ties.

Those couple issues were the main reasons I upgraded to the MVP. So far first impressions are very good. I plan on putting on it later today, but I'm sure it will catch just fine. If my Instep caught well with 21 chains, the MVP will catch amazing with it's 24. I specifically went with the Pro version to have the black band up top to cover the nubs, which should keep my putters in better shape.

Just wanted to post up this comparison for others who may be looking into either basket. Both are great values for the money. I'll add some pictures of the 2 baskets next to each other. I just hope the MVP holds up over time as well as the Instep did. If in the future I decide to upgrade again, I will probably buy a "real" basket at that point.

2016-07-13_03-30-24 by strauss95, on Flickr
2016-07-13_03-32-13 by strauss95, on Flickr
2016-07-13_03-28-36 by strauss95, on Flickr

Is the chain support on the MVP leaning as bad as it looks in the pics?

No, it's because my ground isn't perfectly level in the center of my backyard. You can also notice the chains leaning heavily on the Instep from the same issue.

The only issue I had with the MVP was a small dent on the chastity belt, which no doubt happened during shipping. The box was in pretty rough shape when it arrived. I'm not worried about that though, only a small cosmetic flaw. As long it it works and catches great, I'm a happy customer. Over time that chastity belt is going to get all marked up anyway from all of my missed putts lol.

I was able to putt on it for a solid 30-45min tonight, and it catches as well as expected. Absolutely catches better than the Instep, much more "even" on what it catches. What really got my attention was how much louder and different sounding it is vs my old basket. it's gotta be almost twice as loud, with a much "deeper" twang.

All in all, a VERY solid basket for the money. For $140 shipped to your door, I don't think there are any better options out there.

Who did you order through? Are you still liking the basket?

I ordered the basket from Marshallstreet, and they drop shipped it direct from MVP for free.

And yes, I LOVE the basket! IMO it absolutely cannot be beat for the money. An added bonus is how fast and simple it is to break down and transport if need be. I can take it down and or assemble it in literally 60 seconds. And after putting on it constantly since it arrived, I can say with absolute certainty that it catches fantastic.

All in all, a VERY solid basket for the money. For $140 shipped to your door, I don't think there are any better options out there.

I got mine on Friday and I came here to say exactly this. I am so impressed that I am about to order 5 more for the course I am installing on my land. The quality and weight of the chains for this price is amazing.

I know they've been out for a while now, I'm curious if the chains and other metals are holding up against natural wear. I was really excited to read that the chains are so heavy.