• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so youre saying the Deflector isn't OS nor works well in the wind? Dude you gotta make a little more sense here, I'm scratchin' my head :confused::sick:

I'm with you.

My understanding is that The MVP Deflector is very overstable. I don't know why it would be compared to a windsock.

I'm gettin' the itch - Any word on any new releases? Still waiting on that "OS Putter" would love to see more from Axiom as they haven't had any new releases in a while.

They releases the drift in proton last week, according to the website. Also, I guess a rainfly for the voyager? or did that already happen last month?

... But it definitely had some easy turn on release, then a decent fade late - so it was not at all as STABLE as some people were claiming - I rate it 7/5/-2/1.5 something like that maybe - It seems faster than the relay and didn't hold the turn as late, but overall a more stable Relay is what I was looking for. ...

The one I used to carry seems slower than my Relay and decidedly more stable, so I'd rate it as 6/4/-1/2. Wasn't as easy to get a slight turnover on it as with the Relay or Impulse or Inertia. Plus, it tended to fade more quickly during the glide than the others.

Awesome, this was exactly the sort of info I was looking for! I think I'll pass on buying the Proton Wave, since it seems like that's not quite what I want. I'll head over to the local shop this weekend and pick up the Defy and Vanish, both in Neutron.
My Renegade is my least favorite disc in my bag, so I'm hoping that the Vanish will either a) fill the lost Wave's slot as go-to distance driver or b) replace the Renegade in the monster tailwind slot. As for the Defy, I'm wondering if it might just be the disc that I had hoped the Photon was. I had been manipulating the Wave's release angle when I needed to finish left or discing down to a Getaway. Defy sounds like it might hit those lines easier. Hoping the Defy/Vanish combo will replace everything I used the Wave for.
Really appreciate the feedback fellas. Will report back after I pick the new discs up and give them a few tosses. Worst case scenario, I just order a Plasma Wave off of Infinite if the Vanish doesn't work out. Would prefer to shop local though, so I'll give it a go with the new plastic first.

Reporting back in. I grabbed a 167 Neutron Vanish and 166 Neutron Defy. Tested them in a field along with some other distance drivers for comparison in fairly calm conditions, and then a day later on an open course in 20 mph winds. Thoughts:

Vanish: It bombed long and straight in tailwinds (hit 360 ft on one throw!) and finished consistently long and right of the target in calm winds. Not surprisingly, it sucked in a headwind even when thrown with deep hyzer. What was odd to me was how squirrelly it behaved in cross winds. Basically this flew like an easier-to-control Renegade, so for now it's going to kick the Renegade out of the bag. Bummed that it's not stable enough to replace my lost Wave though.

Defy: It was way more beefy than I had hoped. I tested it backhand compared to my Photon, and the discs were nearly identical in flight shape and distance. I couldn't get any turn unless I forced it over or threw into the teeth of the wind. It did get a little more distance on forehands compared to the Photon (or my typically bagged mellow Enforcer), so I may add it to the bag for a couple weeks to see if it sticks. I'm guessing that it won't though.

So in summary, I think I'm just going to have to order a replacement Wave or two. I'm leaning toward getting one in Proton at a slightly higher weight (172ish), and one in Neutron or Plasma around 166.

Sorry the Defy didn't fit the bill, I hope the Vanish works out, I committed to discing down recently but I've been packing the Vanish like a security blanket.

Threw the hell out of my Tangent and Comet today won some money in a tournament I'm going to order up an eclipse Tangent I think.. Tempted to get a backup Switch it is taking over a lot of fairway and main driving duties.

Played a three course tournament they started at my place 9:30 took till 5.. Doubles for first 27 singles for the last nine.. -31 took the Triple Crown Trophy I think it is a tournament record. I owe thanks to my partners and gyro bag and the thread on the Power Pocket from Bradley Walker. I've been getting some mean, clean slow snap which brings me to the question..

They were saying as your snap improves it makes the understable discs fly more stable, I get the added stability from a cleaner snap.. But I'm not having quite those results, there was speculation briefly about the overmold effects with more snap and how pronounced it is. I feel like my gains in snap have made my Gyro stuff less stable definitely more control and easier turns. What's the consensus on activating the Gyro is it at the front or back end of the flight? Both?

The Defy may still work. I really like the feel of the 21.5mm distance class gyro discs, so I will give the Defy a bunch more tosses to see if eventually I can unlock its magic. Once I pick up a replacement Wave or two I will try to roll out a distance driver lineup of Defy/Wave/Wave/Vanish. The real test will be when the late fall winds pick up here in Nebraska, to see if the Defy can hold a line in the stiffest of headwinds. If not then the Enforcer will go back in.

WRT whether gyro discs fly less stable with decent snap, my personal experience is that they are affected in the same manner as their non-gyro counterparts but less so. Days when my snap is particularly clean, all my discs fly a tad more stable but the discs least affected are my Envy and Wave (RIP). I don't have enough experience with other gyro molds to weigh in on them though.

The Defy may still work. I really like the feel of the 21.5mm distance class gyro discs, so I will give the Defy a bunch more tosses to see if eventually I can unlock its magic. Once I pick up a replacement Wave or two I will try to roll out a distance driver lineup of Defy/Wave/Wave/Vanish. The real test will be when the late fall winds pick up here in Nebraska, to see if the Defy can hold a line in the stiffest of headwinds. If not then the Enforcer will go back in.

WRT whether gyro discs fly less stable with decent snap, my personal experience is that they are affected in the same manner as their non-gyro counterparts but less so. Days when my snap is particularly clean, all my discs fly a tad more stable but the discs least affected are my Envy and Wave (RIP). I don't have enough experience with other gyro molds to weigh in on them though.
If you want that Defy to turn a bit, try rubbing the top on a teepad to scuff it up. It should add .5ish of turn if your not gentle with it.;) MVP discs tend to have a short break in period which someone(maybe AIM?) awhile ago termed "getting the new disc smell off of them" and scuffing it should shorten that window.

Last edited:
I'd tune that with a flat file.. Something fine or dull.. I'd look for the tiniest bit of flashing or bead on the bottom and just give it a few forward strokes all the way around. I had an insanity with a tiny microbead looking bit of flashing, once I took that off the flight was better.

I'm sure this has been covered but...

I only have a few MVP discs, but I find my contact info in black marker constantly rubs off of Proton plastic. It stays pretty well on Neutron.

Anybody use specific markers/colors or anything to get it to stay? Is this typical with Proton?

I'm sure this has been covered but...

I only have a few MVP discs, but I find my contact info in black marker constantly rubs off of Proton plastic. It stays pretty well on Neutron.

Anybody use specific markers/colors or anything to get it to stay? Is this typical with Proton?

Not really, unless you want to permanently dye it into the disc. Just have to redo it once in awhile to keep it fresh.

Pulled a N Insanity from the used bin today, didn't know the weight. Turns out to be 162g. I think it's more stable than my 170 something N Insanity that I bag but it is less seasoned by the looks of it. Crazy how much weight doesn't matter as much with Gyro. If this were a Sidewinder or Heat I'd probably have a roller. Great glide though.

Pulled a N Insanity from the used bin today, didn't know the weight. Turns out to be 162g. I think it's more stable than my 170 something N Insanity that I bag but it is less seasoned by the looks of it. Crazy how much weight doesn't matter as much with Gyro. If this were a Sidewinder or Heat I'd probably have a roller. Great glide though.

yumm a seasoned insanity is cheating easy d

The one I used to carry seems slower than my Relay and decidedly more stable, so I'd rate it as 6/4/-1/2. Wasn't as easy to get a slight turnover on it as with the Relay or Impulse or Inertia. Plus, it tended to fade more quickly during the glide than the others.

After a lil more use this weekend with some wind it was flipping way more than I expected - like turn -3/ fade 1 - which is fine, its similar to the relay - I had a sweet shot that was a huge uphill turnover and I was able to get a high shot that still turned late and glided out right - every disc has its purpose - but I tried using it on a line drive hyzer flip and it turned over QUICK - I don't LOVE it but hey it'll still come in handy. I like it for tomahawk upshots tho

Too bad I'm loving mine! I'm hardly throwing my Relay, Switch all the way!

So it's fall and I'm sure you guys are thinking like me...

When are we going to see some new Eclipse molds!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.