• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. I've never seen that that's crazy! I'm always surprised how how durable the outside rim is, even after massive gouging.

I have a couple early run Ions that have been outside in the yard since they came out. Obviously not plasma the mediums are most likely to crack the top or protons I guess they are called now. The soft is a sucker for abuse it's gone from white to yellow with micro cracks on the underside finally But it's still intact. I even started carving bits out of the rim on one with a cracked top to see how much the flight changed.

So the Switch.... Anyone else bagging one? I'm loving mine!

I use to bag 2 Switches prefer the Relay for similar shot. Slightly more HSS on the Relay but I find it more versatile overall. The other shots I used the Switch for I can cover either with a Crave or a Volt.

I use to bag 2 Switches prefer the Relay for similar shot. Slightly more HSS on the Relay but I find it more versatile overall. The other shots I used the Switch for I can cover either with a Crave or a Volt.

Really weird someone else said that about the stability a while ago.. I find my Switch has more hss then the Relay, definitely more LSS.

I just lost my go-to distance driver, a 167g Plasma wave. My local shop has an identical weight Wave in Proton, but not in Plasma or Neutron. Additionally they have both a Defy and a Vanish within a gram or two of 167, which is my sweet spot for distance drivers. Questions for the board:

1. Can I expect the Proton Wave to fly roughly the same as the Plasma Wave?
2. I've been meaning to try out a Vanish, and to a lesser extent a Defy. Do they vary enough from the Wave to make it worth picking up all three discs?

For reference: I throw the Wave flat 310-340 (RHBH). I use it for max distance in most wind conditions, but also bag an Enforcer for extreme headwinds and a Renegade for extreme tailwinds. I also have a Neutron Photon that periodically gets bagged in lieu of the Enforcer if I'm pretty sure that wind won't be an issue.

The Defy has very high resistance to turn until you can throw it past 350' and even if you can stretch it out it is very straight with a mild (not dumpy but not long) fade. Proton is more hss resistant than neutron

The Vanish is the straightest disc between 275 and 325, after that you will get more and more hss turn unless you have good snap. It has the dumpiest fade (spends less time going left than going forward). Neutron has been much more flippy than proton

The proton Wave I own has the most side to side movement of all three molds. The distance is similar to the Vanish, but because of the fade it goes left further and therefore I consistently get better distance with the Vanish

My current max is 320 with the Vanish; 290 with the Wave and 280 with the Defy. I use the Defy as my wind disc because of the stability for my arm speed

Last edited:
Is the Vanish you are looking at Neutron? If so I'd get it... I get my Neutron Wave out on a tight S 300'+ line.. The vanish has been really similar maybe an extra 15' distance. I find it a touch less stable than my Wave, I haven't thrown either in proton but I'm guessing a plasma Wave with wear would be best replaced by a fresh Neutron Vanish over a proton Wave.

Awesome, this was exactly the sort of info I was looking for! I think I'll pass on buying the Proton Wave, since it seems like that's not quite what I want. I'll head over to the local shop this weekend and pick up the Defy and Vanish, both in Neutron.
My Renegade is my least favorite disc in my bag, so I'm hoping that the Vanish will either a) fill the lost Wave's slot as go-to distance driver or b) replace the Renegade in the monster tailwind slot. As for the Defy, I'm wondering if it might just be the disc that I had hoped the Photon was. I had been manipulating the Wave's release angle when I needed to finish left or discing down to a Getaway. Defy sounds like it might hit those lines easier. Hoping the Defy/Vanish combo will replace everything I used the Wave for.
Really appreciate the feedback fellas. Will report back after I pick the new discs up and give them a few tosses. Worst case scenario, I just order a Plasma Wave off of Infinite if the Vanish doesn't work out. Would prefer to shop local though, so I'll give it a go with the new plastic first.

Right on man I hope it fits in. I have a bunch of their distance drivers around the lower stability in different speed classes... I like the Orbital but it wasn't understable or stable enough. The vanish was a pretty instant winner for me... I was having trouble getting my Wave up to speed early in the season, no problem with the Vanish, it's just a touch in the right direction with a little extra glide.

So I played in a tourney this past weekend and ended up tied for 1st at the end, won in a playoff - long story short I had some cash and was at the Pro shop - decided to look at a few things - found a Switch Neutron 175g Swirly Gray....I mean....come one ---- I wasn't going to just GET ONE but it was the perfect combo of color and weight and look - I also matched it up with all the others and it had the highest PLH - so....why not. I got it to compete with the Relay (I wanted something a lil more stable but still flippy) I tried this out.. Yeah...wow....Easy turn on command but does have a hyzer finish - it was carving. Really nice shapes to make with it, it flies to me like a slower Sidewinder. Or a Slower Inertia? But it definitely had some easy turn on release, then a decent fade late - so it was not at all as STABLE as some people were claiming - I rate it 7/5/-2/1.5 something like that maybe - It seems faster than the relay and didn't hold the turn as late, but overall a more stable Relay is what I was looking for . I dig it, still leaves room for my patriot which tho similar in description is way more stable at high speed than the switch and the volts I use are def more stable. Interesting disc, I like it, definitely has some carving ability and nice hyzerflip lines to create - so for now ill take the relay out - but I think come winter, the relay will be better with the poor footing and limited mobility - I tend to use more US stuff in winter

So I played in a tourney this past weekend and ended up tied for 1st at the end, won in a playoff - long story short I had some cash and was at the Pro shop - decided to look at a few things - found a Switch Neutron 175g Swirly Gray....I mean....come one ---- I wasn't going to just GET ONE but it was the perfect combo of color and weight and look - I also matched it up with all the others and it had the highest PLH - so....why not. I got it to compete with the Relay (I wanted something a lil more stable but still flippy) I tried this out.. Yeah...wow....Easy turn on command but does have a hyzer finish - it was carving. Really nice shapes to make with it, it flies to me like a slower Sidewinder. Or a Slower Inertia? But it definitely had some easy turn on release, then a decent fade late - so it was not at all as STABLE as some people were claiming - I rate it 7/5/-2/1.5 something like that maybe - It seems faster than the relay and didn't hold the turn as late, but overall a more stable Relay is what I was looking for . I dig it, still leaves room for my patriot which tho similar in description is way more stable at high speed than the switch and the volts I use are def more stable. Interesting disc, I like it, definitely has some carving ability and nice hyzerflip lines to create - so for now ill take the relay out - but I think come winter, the relay will be better with the poor footing and limited mobility - I tend to use more US stuff in winter

youre numbers for inertia are way off

youre numbers for inertia are way off

For me the inertias fly 10/5/-2/2 (a couple I have actually turn maybe more like a -3) and insanity 10/5/-2/1.5 (or -3 for my plasma) - they are really similar - Actually I have a couple inertias that flip MORE than my insanity of the same plastic and weight - but WEAR has to do with that im sure - and the Relay for me was 6/5/-3/1 and Switch 7/5/-2.5/1.5 somewhere around there

My most stable Inertia is a Blue sparkle proton 175 and it for SURE flips a good amount - its my understable control driver and I basically switch between them and insanity's and they are both show a good amount of high speed turn unless I power it down and give it hyzer they flip and ride anny a decent amount. that's just the facts for me man - I have 4 inertias and 3 insanity's all 170-175 it will definitely depend on skill level, I throw clean just been playing a while so I have good speed/snap - inertias are for sure US and hyzerflippy discs I use mainly for turnovers

For me the inertias fly 10/5/-2/2 (a couple I have actually turn maybe more like a -3) and insanity 10/5/-2/1.5 (or -3 for my plasma) - they are really similar - Actually I have a couple inertias that flip MORE than my insanity of the same plastic and weight - but WEAR has to do with that im sure - and the Relay for me was 6/5/-3/1 and Switch 7/5/-2.5/1.5 somewhere around there

My most stable Inertia is a Blue sparkle proton 175 and it for SURE flips a good amount - its my understable control driver and I basically switch between them and insanity's and they are both show a good amount of high speed turn unless I power it down and give it hyzer they flip and ride anny a decent amount. that's just the facts for me man - I have 4 inertias and 3 insanity's all 170-175 it will definitely depend on skill level, I throw clean just been playing a while so I have good speed/snap - inertias are for sure US and hyzerflippy discs I use mainly for turnovers

maybe i didnt read your post right about the inertia speed 7

you write a lot and its laborious to read im not going to read it twice lolol

i will agree they are great slightly us frisbees

I left my Circuit series Relay on the back of my car today and drove off. I am am wounded that I lost that disc...I guess the Crave and Archer are gonna have to do double duty for a couple weeks

I'm gettin' the itch - Any word on any new releases? Still waiting on that "OS Putter" would love to see more from Axiom as they haven't had any new releases in a while.

if the "os putter" is anything like the deflector dont even bother your time with those wind socks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts