• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aim For The Chains throws about what we do but just a few feet longer and if I recall correctly throws Photons for big D. MVP discs will hold true to their descriptions and clean up your form, just get one and let it rip.

Photons have become more of my controlled max D slightly OS mold and the octane/catalyst are the true max d bombers. I didnt expect to really need 13 speed molds but the those two keep on hitting some of the longest lines out on the course ive thrown to date... The nitro is a bit too OS and fast for my hyzerflip style max D so i find the photon/defy to work great with the faster octane/catalyst. Been messing with the vanish a bit too but think ill stick with slower virus for US/roller etc.

So many damn good MVP molds these days!

So many damn good MVP molds these days!

Ain't that the truth.

I was going over some old in the bag videos I made and its crazy to think that when I really got into MVP it was just two molds, the Ion and Vector. Still bag both to this day.

Used to be I'd wish there was an MVP disc to fill a certain slot I had to fill with discs from other companies. Now there's so many good molds to choose from I have to decide if Volts/Wraths/Photons overlap too much to carry all three, etc. Great problem to have :)

Wrath starts out straight to fade and as it beats in just gets straighter with less fade. Tessa has a bit sharper of a fade to it. I personally go crave-volt-defy as they are all straight to fade, but the crave goes almost as long as the volt so the volt may be getting the boot. Photons make good max D drivers for those who like to release flat and can season in to allow for tons of different shot angles. Also comes in a variety of different plastics so everyone gets their weight/feel of choice.

I hear praise of The photon and wrath alot. Whats wrong with tesla?

Nothing. Tesla is the best 10 speed from MVP. Between all the plastics and unique wts you can cover any stability needed from OS to US and it goes very far... I could honestly just rock teslas as my only distance type drivers if needed.

I use mine mostly as a wind fighting bigger skip action volt and just carry the virus for US 10 speed but had a blast messing witb 135g-155g fissions and few odd domey runs.

Wrath never did much for me when i bag volts and can have seasoned tesla. If i didnt carry either the wrath would be legit.

Have the new Volt a good workout today. I am pretty impressed overall. I can give it as much power as possible on a BH throw and it goes straight for about 300-325 and the has a predictable fade that takes it another 50 feet or so. FH with a slight hyzer I was able to get in around 400 as long as I didn't let it turn much. Easily up to 350 and extreme accuracy without really trying.

Reminds me of a slightly longer and just a bit more HSS Tyrant.

On another note, my Envy was absolute money today. I was playing the silvers at Oregon Park with my daughter and a friend of hers(first round!). And the longest hole there is only 375 so I only broke out a driver(Volt) once.

But there are about four wooded holes where you need a shot that is basically perfectly straight through the tunnel for 200-250 ft. 4 shots with the Envy, 4 birdies.

The best part of a nice slightly OS volt like yours is once it seasons up a little thr HSS wont change much but the LSS mellows out and the damn disc crushes for a 9 speed on lazer tight lines at 400'

Wrath VS Tesla is a lot like Teebird VS Eagle to me. Wraths tend to be straight with fade and season to be even straighter. Teslas start out straight to fade, with a little more OS of a finish than Wraths, and as they season they develop a bit of high speed turn sooner than Wraths.

Both are great molds that I've had a lot of success with, but I decided to go with Wraths complimented with a more OS driver like an Energy or Fireball.

Another reason I switched to Wraths is they are readily available in a softer neutron blend, and I love that plastic for drivers. That also played a role in me bagging the Insanity over the Inertia. Also the brighter rims on Axiom discs show up better when I film videos.

Nothing. Tesla is the best 10 speed from MVP. Between all the plastics and unique wts you can cover any stability needed from OS to US and it goes very far... I could honestly just rock teslas as my only distance type drivers if needed.

I use mine mostly as a wind fighting bigger skip action volt and just carry the virus for US 10 speed but had a blast messing witb 135g-155g fissions and few odd domey runs.

Wrath never did much for me when i bag volts and can have seasoned tesla. If i didnt carry either the wrath would be legit.

Can you give the plastics from US to OS for the Tesla?

I may be willing to give a MVP fairway driver a try soon. I try to stay with discraft/DGA for simplification and consistency for my game. When I was in Indiana I decided to build my bag around my best disc one winter. It was a buzzz and I haven't looked back.

I just can't find a fairway I love from them yet. Have a pipeline and glo undertaker on the way. If these don't fit the bill I'm gonna try an overmold. Buying a disc from a new company could open Pandora's box, so I have kept it simple so far

Can you give the plastics from US to OS for the Tesla?

Plastic is mostly just about feel you like. Fission is the only plastic you will find major difference in sub 150g. Ive detailed a lot of this in the tesla thread. Basically dome and lighter weight will mean more US while the FAF max wts are OS.

Here is a post from May in the tesla thread. Can find more from the little arrow below quote which will take you to that thread.
Been throwing a good mix of teslas lately from lighter to heavy and in different plastics etc.

Such a good mold and probably only driver id bag going super minimalist style. Truly can cover all different drives from control to distance. The newer unique plastic options/weights give you some slightly US to OS flights fresh off the shelf.

Currently bagging:
Fresh heavy neutron [OS]
seasoned heavy neutron [later fade/MOAR GLYDE]
Beat up lighter wt neutron or proto plasma or 155g fission [stable]
Newer 134g fission plastic [US]

Tesla has weirdly become my new volt. I still love my volts and protons are on lock. Not sure why i have all neutron teslas and proton volts but i dont really care about either plastic. Plasma seems a little soft in the summer but looks dope. Pretty interchangeable outside of light weight fission.

Last edited:
I just can't find a fairway I love from them yet. Have a pipeline and glo undertaker on the way. If these don't fit the bill I'm gonna try an overmold. Buying a disc from a new company could open Pandora's box, so I have kept it simple so far

For straight to fade fairway, try the Volt. For plastic, pick Proton if you like Z, Neutron if you like ESP better. Plasma is a little softer than Neutron, but not quite FLX soft. As mentioned above, the choice of plastic is feel only. They will all fly the same.

If the Volt has too much fade for what you are looking for, then the Axiom Crave might work better. This is an awesome and very workable fairway driver.

I may be willing to give a MVP fairway driver a try soon. I try to stay with discraft/DGA for simplification and consistency for my game. When I was in Indiana I decided to build my bag around my best disc one winter. It was a buzzz and I haven't looked back.

The Crave is their best fairway IMO. It starts out like a perfectly seasoned Teebird and gradually develops a little high speed turn as it breaks in. Not much, just enough to shape a huge variety of lines. My 3 year old Neutron Crave is still stable enough I flick it off the tee every round.

For a more OS compliment I bag the Resistor. Its like a slower Firebird. They don't ever seem to develop turn, I've thrown the same Neutron Resistor since they released the mold and it just gets straighter and longer while still laughing at any headwind. Being a slower mold it powers down very well for headwind approach shots.

The Inspire is a mold I've bagged on and off, just threw one back into the bag. Its like a sleeker Leopard with a touch more speed. Controllable turnovers right out of the box.

For slightly faster molds I like the Volt and Fireball. The Volt is a classic Teebird straight to fade sort of flight, and they season straighter and straighter. I've thrown the same eclipse Volt for years and its a laser beam. Fireball is pretty close to a Firebird with a touch more glide, its a very reliable hyzer disc.

The Relay is another good disc, but I don't bag one myself. I gravitate towards stable molds since I flick a lot to compliment my backhand, but if you're predominantly one throwing style its an excellent line shaper right out of the box. Easy to make turn, but its good about not turning and burning.

I've got videos of all of these molds at www.youtube.com/thediscgolfvids

The Crave's a solid fairway driver for sure, but I've found it's also their least consistent mold. One's a perfect late turn TeeBird. The other's a flippy mess.

Which ones were flippy for you? If you have any you're still holding on to I'd take them off your hands, they take a while to season.

I sent the flippy ones to a friend, and they weren't flippy in the "seasoned to amazingness" sense. They just were awful. I've had them in 150-class and mid 170s. All Neutrons. The "good" 150s make me wish I still bagged them.

I am trying to settle the mids section of my bag early this year as it is pretty much the last thing that isn't settled. I am looking for a straight shooter when thrown flat and holds lines really well. Preferable a slower mid. I may retry the Proxy and I have tried the Axis which TBH I didn't like much. What mid should I try? Alias?

Alias is like a faster proxy/slower axis type of flight.

Axis and vextor are pretty much buzzz/roc clones while the other mids are more unique designs.

The Alias is a straight-flying placement midrange similar to the popular Tangent, but with a bit more high-speed stability. This point-and-shoot midrange has the ability to lock into straight lines and hyzers, as well as pan out of high anhyzer shots and shallow helix lines. The Alias simply goes where it is sent.

Pretty much sums it right up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts