• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordering Stormtrooper White online

I just placed an order on Disc Golf Center for a White Neutron Signal hoping it is the infamous Stormtrooper white. I even sent a message on their Contact Us page to request they check their stock of similarly weighted discs before sending it. Any other suggestions about how to order Stormtroopers online?

I actually don't recall seeing an offwhite MVP disc other than in their other plastics. Do offwhite Neutrons actually exist?

Shoutout to Wade at Disc Golf Center. He looked through their stock and is sending the brightest white one in the weight range I requested.

Yeah there can be some blending of other color runs which can make the whites very faint pink or yellow etc.. Sounds like Wade took care of you!

In general most "white" are exactly that like paper but owned many swirled or lightly tinted "white" mvps.
1482856856127.jpg

Last edited:
Well damn. Took a new camera out for a quick test today and the image is really dark. Gonna play with the settings some more and see what I can do :/

I tried out an MVP driver for the first time the other day. Was a octane in the clear champy plastic. It felt great in the hand and threw nice. My question is how do these discs break in? Do you have to throw these differently because of the overmold? (More snap,less snap).

It helps to get more snap. Usually, premium plastic MVP discs break in very slow.

Last edited:
Lots of snap. They also reward clean form so make sure you got that too :D
I throw almost exclusively MVP/Axiom now. Just fell in love with the brand and haven't looked back. They also season very slowly. Initial break in takes ~3 rounds and after that both Neutron and Proton season near identically, both comparable to Champion in my opinion.

They'll hold their flight pattern for a long time, years in fact.

One of the great things about their discs is they tend to lose low speed fade without developing high speed turn. Granted molds that have high speed turn when new will keep showing it...

I have an eclipse volt I've been throwing since before they were released to the public that still doesn't show high speed turn. Its the straightest speed 9 disc I've seen. Got a Resistor with years on it, flies just like a fresh one with a later fade. Same with my Envys, Vectors, Ions etc.

I think MVP discs tend to hold the angle of release more stubbornly than non-overmold discs. Say you have a Vector and Roc, two molds with similar shapes. Throw them each with a bit of hyzer, the Vector is more likely to hold that hyzer angle to the ground while the Roc might flip up closer to flat during the high speed portion of its flight.

So then do the flight ratings hold true? If I buy a MVP disc that says -3 turn, will it just want to fly straight?

Yea and no.

MVP/Axiom definitely have the biggest learning curve but once you learn how to throw them and how they like to be thrown they are F'ing awesome.

Due to the overmold if you throw with enough spin they tend to hold the thrown angle much longer.

At first when I gave MVP a shot I really didn't like them because I'm mainly a hyzer flipper for pretty much all my shots. However, when I learned to just throw MVP discs with the proper snap on the desired flight angle it was a thing of beauty.

I'm not saying there aren't MVP/Axiom mold that are good at hyzer flipping but that's just not where they shine. Due to me being a hyzer flipper with a lot of snap most of their discs tend to fly more stable than their flight ratings for me

So if you throw a -3 disc with hyzer and a good amount of snap it won't seem like a -3 at all but if you throw the same disc either with a very small amount of hyzer or preferably flat and the proper snap you'll see the -3.

Last edited:
No, it will still turn. If I throw an Insanity, Wave, Inspire, Spin, Theory, Vanish, Impulse, Signal, Relay etc. with hyzer, it will flip up to flat and turn over. Just like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P-NLndlEAM&t=2m12s

But u prolly throw much farther than I do. I max out a little over 400. So should I buy a MVP with flight ratings more understable than I expect? I throw cranks now, should I throw an mvp/axiom with a flight rating with more turn? Maybe a orbital or wave?

But u prolly throw much farther than I do. I max out a little over 400. So should I buy a MVP with flight ratings more understable than I expect? I throw cranks now, should I throw an mvp/axiom with a flight rating with more turn? Maybe a orbital or wave?

My best friend throws about 360-380' on a distance shot and gets a nice S-curve with the Neutron Insanity I gave him. Might be a good place to start for distance shots.

Got to throw the Spin and Signal yesterday during a round.

The Spin has a place in my bag--it does exactly what I hoped it would do. I wanted it to use as an approach disc that I can turn fairly sharp and it works so much better than the others I've tried for that job.

The Signal is something I'm gonna have to work with, I reckon. It turns so much more than anything else in my bag. It flies well and once I get it under control, it could work for me.

Find your Crank's flight path on their flight chart. Look at those lines on the discs you're looking into and buy the one that matches your desired flight. Their chart is pretty great at giving multiple people an idea of how they'll fly for their respective power level.

Orbital is a flippy disc. You throw about where I do, and discs hold true to their flight numbers for me. Insanity offers a good bit of turn from a hyzer but comes back a little at the very end. A lighter switch flips all the way on a full power drive. I got a wave yesterday that I'm thinking about using for max D shots because my hands are too small to comfortably grip the Nitro/Octane, although they do absolutely bomb. I wheeled off a 435 footer with an Octane, hyzer flipped it drifted right then straightened out and gently faded. If you want a max D shot, it depends on your style of throwing... for instance, I love releasing flat for controlled shots up to 385-400, but if I'm going for all out D I'm hyzer flipping something. You may prefer a seasoned OS disc that will turn and fade from a flat release. Aim For The Chains throws about what we do but just a few feet longer and if I recall correctly throws Photons for big D. MVP discs will hold true to their descriptions and clean up your form, just get one and let it rip.

Yeah' they are just discs. The gyro doesnt really add over-stability at all it just enhances some line holding ability of their molds.

I peraonally think its why the putters and slower molds go so damn far as well.

If you can throw 400' pretty sure there are over 15 molds from MVP/axiom which turn off the shelf from putters to 13 speeds. Like tbirs said just look at their flight chart/website and compare other molds you bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.