• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

1k-SENeutron-Watt-white-1-500x500.jpg

MVP Watt. Scientist series stamp,
Samuel Watt inventor of the steam engine.

Questions for anyone who bags both the Crave and the Rhythm: why? What does one do for you that the other can't?

Bonus question if you used to bag one and now bag the other: why did you switch?

I have a Plasma Crave 170g, and a Rhythm 167g and I don't get the same flight performance or nowhere close to the same distance. So, I don't lump them together at all.

The Crave I've had for more than a year, on a full throw now a 3-step I get a shallow S curve, but I mostly use it as a utility disc to hit tight gaps, low ceiling around trees on an x-step fade or standstill. Had a few of those this morning on a heavily wooded course. A great compliment with my Plasma Servo.

The Rhythm I've had for 4 months is my favorite under stable disc to throw out of the bag, and sometimes my favorite disc to throw. As an older player (59) an easy disc to throw. It has a wider S curve, all round wind disc, and greater distance than any of my 9-speeds. It has replaced my Virus on the tee to hit tighter gaps, or when needing the S curve, or longer distance, and have chosen it to hit gaps on an occasion over understable 11-speeds giving up some distance.

In about 2-3 weeks I'll finish transitioning from an x-step to a 3-step with my bag. The rest of the year I'll work on the whip. The first two discs will be my Rhythm and Relay together, I'm expecting good results from both. Funny this morning 18th hole on second round, long par 3 on approach heavily wooded course, an opening on approach. I'm wanting to finish out with the Rhythm, but decided I was too close, and pulled out the Virus, I never would have thought that a few months ago, and it made me giggle. I have a backup for the Rhythm.

I own two Neutron Octane's and one Proton, and all of them i flat and fly roughly the same. I bought a Fission and this is like a different mold. Very domey and very understable, like hyzer flip in a heavy tailwind or roller understable. Is this normal? I wanted a more US Octane but this is ridiculous...

Rhythms vs Craves Update:

(OK, start with this...bagging them both is a problem - ONLY IN MY HEAD. You can bag 'em both. Go nuts. I just found so much overlap that I wanted to see about eliminating one mold in an overall effort to simplify my bag).

My inventory (so this is what I'm basing my experience on, and I am a noodle arm who doesn't push any of these discs more than 240'):

3 Neutron Rhythms: 170g, 161g, 160g

1 Plasma Crave: 174g
2 Fission Craves: 159g, 153g
1 Neutron Crave: 173g (Hokom)​

I have always liked the Crave. Feels good, and the fission ones are just "easy throwers." But they've always had a little more fade finish on them than the Rhythms. Just that little bit of hookup at the end.

I played yesterday and left my Rhythms home. Bagged the Plasma and Fission Craves. Didn't miss the Rhythms.

Case closed.

Especially because of the Fission plastic - and Rhythms are only in Neutron.

Wait...oh **** you MVP.

I own two Neutron Octane's and one Proton, and all of them i flat and fly roughly the same. I bought a Fission and this is like a different mold. Very domey and very understable, like hyzer flip in a heavy tailwind or roller understable. Is this normal? I wanted a more US Octane but this is ridiculous...

Yeah they are definitely a different Beast, kind of. The thing I found with the octane was that it didn't respond well to a harsher anhyzer angle in any plastic. Once you pass that point of no return it flips right over and dives otherwise it's fairly stable from anywhere near flat or hyzer.

Yeah they are definitely a different Beast, kind of. The thing I found with the octane was that it didn't respond well to a harsher anhyzer angle in any plastic. Once you pass that point of no return it flips right over and dives otherwise it's fairly stable from anywhere near flat or hyzer.

I've noticed this as well, I like to flex and sometimes it just doesn't want to come back.

Wonder how long until we see a Simon lizotte 12 speed destroyer type disc molded

Wonder how long until we see a Simon lizotte 12 speed destroyer type disc molded

He already seems to like the similar Defy pretty well at 11. Maybe they go incremental on a Defy Plus signature mold or maybe that's his tour series offering next year?

Purple Friday! Also saw a pair of NOS Vectors. If that happens to be your thing, PM, me and I'll put you in touch.

Attachments

• AD9330C1-0270-434A-9C13-ABC3EEA0DCA0.jpg
    AD9330C1-0270-434A-9C13-ABC3EEA0DCA0.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 35
I'm sure there hasn't been a stealthy major retooling but this Entropy feels more shallow than the one I had last year. Really digging it.

TLDR - If you want to hit aces, throw Gyro.

Hit a practice Ace this weekend with a Proton Deflector. Doesn't count as a real ace as it was like my 5th shot off the tee, and it's only like 160' hole. But if it did count, that would make 3 Aces in my slightly less than 2 years of playing. All of them with MVP. First was a Fission Volt, second was a Neutron Terra, and now this one with the Proton Deflector. And I do bag quite a few other manufacturers and switch up the bag often. Maybe I should go all Gyro...

I'm sure there hasn't been a stealthy major retooling but this Entropy feels more shallow than the one I had last year. Really digging it.

I only have two Entropy. My newer plasma has a low shoulder and very flat top, my neutron is flat but a touch more shoulder and a it is a touch less stable it now feels domey by comparison. I would have called it dead flat last year.

TLDR - If you want to hit aces, throw Gyro.

Hit a practice Ace this weekend with a Proton Deflector. Doesn't count as a real ace as it was like my 5th shot off the tee, and it's only like 160' hole. But if it did count, that would make 3 Aces in my slightly less than 2 years of playing. All of them with MVP. First was a Fission Volt, second was a Neutron Terra, and now this one with the Proton Deflector. And I do bag quite a few other manufacturers and switch up the bag often. Maybe I should go all Gyro...

Do it, surrender to the dark rim side.

Do it, surrender to the dark rim side.

I'm close. I'm down to a Berg, Zone, Rat, and Wraiths as my remaining non-Gyro molds in my main tournament setup. Sounds like the Tempo might be able to kick out the Zone and/or the Rat. Still haven't found an MVP driver that can kick out my Wraiths, and I've tried most of them at this point...

I'm close. I'm down to a Berg, Zone, Rat, and Wraiths as my remaining non-Gyro molds in my main tournament setup. Sounds like the Tempo might be able to kick out the Zone and/or the Rat. Still haven't found an MVP driver that can kick out my Wraiths, and I've tried most of them at this point...

The wraith is hard to replicate, closest I've found is a light Fission octane. Wraith are special especially with the different flights depending on the plastic. I use an NV and an entropy for a lot of what I used to use the zone for but it's another hard one to replace, I think if they made something really overstable like an entropy in a base plastic that would be the key.

I have a Zenith and, as Throwa says above this, a fission octane. I think the octane gets a bit more distance but my 169g neutron Zenith that is pretty beat in at this point seems decently wraith like. Some people speculated that the Zenith was JCIII's attempt at getting a gyro Wraith.

In other news, I am currently experimenting with dropping the Terra from the bag. I was using a Neutron Terra and the new Proton Trance as my 8 speed lineup. The problem really is getting that disc that sits nicely between the two. I had an electron Terra that sat there which was great until I hit a tree badly with it and now it's more US than the Trance. So I took all the Terra's out which makes me a bit sad...But i have put back in a Fireball and a Wrath which goes well with the insanity. I still have the trance in the bag as it's definitely straighter than the Wrath and not quite as flippy as the insanity while also having a touch more control.

Fwiw... I was talking to Chance last night on messenger and he said to expect big things from the tempo as far as the Zone replacement, and he has a new Tour series stamp coming. If he ends up with that on a Tempo I will definitely be buying a tempo. I do like the stamp for the circuit series though by Michael Ramanauskas. Though likely he probably did chances stamp so either way it's a win haha

Wouldn't a volt be the likely disc to sit between a trance and a terra? Though God only knows what they're flying like these days

Wouldn't a volt be the likely disc to sit between a trance and a terra? Though God only knows what they're flying like these days

It's supposed to, but the volts I have had have been way too close to the terra to the point that I just chose which one was more comfortable for me. The terra was also more consistent for me. I am going to give the Wrath a shot to see if I like it enough otherwise the Terra's may go back in the bag.

Latest posts