• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My 27 day roadtrip is over :(

Isn't it cool to go from 120 something courses played to 168 played in less than a month.

Just think what this site along is having to disc golf across the country. Thanks Tim G.

I have absolutely no idea what this secret course is he speaks of I promise (OK maybe I do), but Brackett's Bluff is still in the ground but is open only to the Brackett family per Nature Preserve decree (all of this is made pretty clear on the Charlotte DGC forum.....and there is more if anyone wants to read more details). As such, it is extinct as far as the non-Brackett population is concerned.

Yes, Bracketts is closed to outsiders of the family. Fortunately I ran across a family member who was able to take me out there, and he said it was completely ok to do so. I did not go there by myself, and I do not recommend anyone try and go there by themselves. It will only lead to the course being completely removed. Hopefully someday it will be restored to full status.

I thought I had better clear that up so that the course doesn't get a bombardment of random people showing up. Had it not been for the family member I played with I would not have gone.

Wow, sounds like a great trip! How about a top 3 or top 5 courses played on the trip?

I put 2000 on my car for my last road trip and only hit 6 courses.
way to go...and PS I do hate you :)

I put 2000 on my car for my last road trip and only hit 6 courses.
way to go...and PS I do hate you :)

Well now I know what it feels like to be you! Just kidding of course . . . kinda.

Nicely done....bastard.... :)

I think it's funny to do a member search and organize by reviews or courses played. You get a crap load of people who have umpteen years of experience and right in the middle is this guy with 1.1 years! You're an animal.

I'm going to start calling you Doktor Harr or The Harr Kid.

Wow, sounds like a great trip! How about a top 3 or top 5 courses played on the trip?

Its really hard to say but as far as my ratings go

Bracketts Bluff for the all around awesome experience. WOuld certainly garner a 5 if I could rate it, but alas it is extinct. This course stands alone at the top.

But I played so many great courses I can't justify giving the nod to any one of them. Some were better maintaned, some had a better all around DG experience, some had both but lacked flow, signage, challenge, etc etc etc. Below were my favorites on the trip all ranked 4.5 discs, and there were some honorable mentions of 3-4 disc rated courses too. I tried to hit the best of every area I went.

Ocala Greenway because it is an awesome property with all sorts of features

Rennaissance Gold because it will kick anyones butt, but is a little lacking in sustainability due to the soils and traffic it receives.

Hornets Nest "Charlotte's Web layout" because it will again kick anyones butt and you will enjoy it as it happens. All you can do is laugh.

Bud Hill is another private course that was just outstanding. It is well maintained (the owner recently fell doing some fall cleanup of limbs and was int he hospital when I played the course). It challenges you through and through. It has a clubhouse, bar, firepit, and two owners that apparently will cook for people at the tourneys. What a great place to just hang out ALL DAY. No reason to leave the site!

Lincoln Ridge was my last stop and it will leave me wanting more because it was so good. It had rained heavily so it was slick and that affected some of my play for sure because the footing was not always great. It was however a wonderful course. The front 13 holes are duece or die for the pros, then the next 7 holes are just incredibly difficult, narrow, and truly risk/reward on your drives. Go for the basket or layup to the fairway for an easy approach and putt for par. I went the driver approach and it didnt pan out on some of th eholes but others it did. The last 4 holes are fairly open and straight forward but they give a nice finish to the diversity of this course that is set on those rolling Kentucky hills.

Crooked Creek was another awesome property. It had all sorts of variety, it had water, it had elevation, it had woods, and then it had all three on a few of the holes. There was an island green which was no bigger than a 25' diameter which was challenging for sure, despite being fairly short. It was just a really fun course.

Please keep in mind I rate courses based on my desire to return if all courses were located the same distance and allt hings were the same. That way just because a course is in the middle of nowhere I can give a true representation of how likely I would be to return if I had the chance.

P.S. I am really considering starting a blog to document my roadtrips including the reviews I write, places I go while on the road trips for those who want to do more than just DG, places I might stop and eat for some local fare, people I met and/or played with etc etc etc. Anyone think people would want to read this? I have seena lot of interest and jealousy in some instances fo rmy ability and desire to take these roadtrips. Now I cannot take a month to go play disc golf except for in the winter when my landscape business allows, but I do take little one day trips all the time where I might hit between 3-9 courses in a day. I would like to document all of these trips and a blog is the best way for me to do so. So do you have any input, would this be a worthwhile read, would you try and recreate some of the trips if you had the chance, would you enjoy seeing more than just review of the course? Give me your input . . . I am still investigating the whole blogging as a media type before I make a decision, but I want to do it quickly because I already have like 20 trips I have taken to go for DG and I do not want to get backlogged. Fortunately all my reviews are here so I have a lot of the content there, but I willhave to add to those entries with other info later.

Let me know what you think.

I think it's funny to do a member search and organize by reviews or courses played. You get a crap load of people who have umpteen years of experience and right in the middle is this guy with 1.1 years! You're an animal.

I'm going to start calling you Doktor Harr or The Harr Kid.

I think more impressive is the fact that I have remained happily married through this past year! She even signed up for the site now and wrote a review too so I have gotten her to appreciate the game, and also what it is that I love about the sport and this site.

Well done, looks like a fantastic trip. Now I'm really in trouble, you're way ahead of me in reviews and you only need 4 more to pass me on courses played. :clap: I am totally jealous, I get to take lots of weekend trips but I've never been able to just take a month and disc golf.

I think more impressive is the fact that I have remained happily married through this past year! She even signed up for the site now and wrote a review too so I have gotten her to appreciate the game, and also what it is that I love about the sport and this site.

That, my friend may be the biggest miracle of all! Any advice for me, because I just get eyes rolled at me when I start talking DG. :D

That, my friend may be the biggest miracle of all! Any advice for me, because I just get eyes rolled at me when I start talking DG. :D

It may be more amazing to know that my wife is happily married (yes to me) after this trip, because it tells more than if I was happily married. Get what I am saying? She started calling me a legend, which is funny because I have only been playing for a year and on this site for the same amount of time, but she knows all about my history and my reputation on this site. But to her I am a legend, and I am thankful for such a great wife who understands this is A HEALTHY ADDICTION!

Could be a new stat, # of courses played, divided by # of years played.
The leader could have a little icon of Har's car by their name.

Wow, I was just looking for a list, but that's awesome. It helps my daydreaming at work immenselly. More courses for the wishlist.

Its really hard to say but as far as my ratings go

Bracketts Bluff for the all around awesome experience. WOuld certainly garner a 5 if I could rate it, but alas it is extinct. This course stands alone at the top.

But I played so many great courses I can't justify giving the nod to any one of them. Some were better maintaned, some had a better all around DG experience, some had both but lacked flow, signage, challenge, etc etc etc. Below were my favorites on the trip all ranked 4.5 discs, and there were some honorable mentions of 3-4 disc rated courses too. I tried to hit the best of every area I went.

Ocala Greenway because it is an awesome property with all sorts of features

Rennaissance Gold because it will kick anyones butt, but is a little lacking in sustainability due to the soils and traffic it receives.

Hornets Nest "Charlotte's Web layout" because it will again kick anyones butt and you will enjoy it as it happens. All you can do is laugh.

Bud Hill is another private course that was just outstanding. It is well maintained (the owner recently fell doing some fall cleanup of limbs and was int he hospital when I played the course). It challenges you through and through. It has a clubhouse, bar, firepit, and two owners that apparently will cook for people at the tourneys. What a great place to just hang out ALL DAY. No reason to leave the site!

Lincoln Ridge was my last stop and it will leave me wanting more because it was so good. It had rained heavily so it was slick and that affected some of my play for sure because the footing was not always great. It was however a wonderful course. The front 13 holes are duece or die for the pros, then the next 7 holes are just incredibly difficult, narrow, and truly risk/reward on your drives. Go for the basket or layup to the fairway for an easy approach and putt for par. I went the driver approach and it didnt pan out on some of th eholes but others it did. The last 4 holes are fairly open and straight forward but they give a nice finish to the diversity of this course that is set on those rolling Kentucky hills.

Crooked Creek was another awesome property. It had all sorts of variety, it had water, it had elevation, it had woods, and then it had all three on a few of the holes. There was an island green which was no bigger than a 25' diameter which was challenging for sure, despite being fairly short. It was just a really fun course.

Please keep in mind I rate courses based on my desire to return if all courses were located the same distance and allt hings were the same. That way just because a course is in the middle of nowhere I can give a true representation of how likely I would be to return if I had the chance.

P.S. I am really considering starting a blog to document my roadtrips including the reviews I write, places I go while on the road trips for those who want to do more than just DG, places I might stop and eat for some local fare, people I met and/or played with etc etc etc. Anyone think people would want to read this? I have seena lot of interest and jealousy in some instances fo rmy ability and desire to take these roadtrips. Now I cannot take a month to go play disc golf except for in the winter when my landscape business allows, but I do take little one day trips all the time where I might hit between 3-9 courses in a day. I would like to document all of these trips and a blog is the best way for me to do so. So do you have any input, would this be a worthwhile read, would you try and recreate some of the trips if you had the chance, would you enjoy seeing more than just review of the course? Give me your input . . . I am still investigating the whole blogging as a media type before I make a decision, but I want to do it quickly because I already have like 20 trips I have taken to go for DG and I do not want to get backlogged. Fortunately all my reviews are here so I have a lot of the content there, but I willhave to add to those entries with other info later.

Let me know what you think.

35) A course I have been sworn to secrecy about.

I want to know more about this...you've got to be able to share at least some tidbit...

that counts as telling!

It may be more amazing to know that my wife is happily married (yes to me) after this trip, because it tells more than if I was happily married. Get what I am saying? She started calling me a legend, which is funny because I have only been playing for a year and on this site for the same amount of time, but she knows all about my history and my reputation on this site. But to her I am a legend, and I am thankful for such a great wife who understands this is A HEALTHY ADDICTION!

Legend huh? So, the secret is drugging your spouse? ;)

It's good to know that a healthy addiction can be appreciated. I really can't complain though, my wife is literally about to give birth - plus we have 20 month old that is more hyper than her dad, and she still didn't care that I got in a couple of long rounds this week. Ah, love...

You know my wife calls me a legend only when she's referring to my "disc." :D (too much???)

Yes, Bracketts is closed to outsiders of the family. Fortunately I ran across a family member who was able to take me out there, and he said it was completely ok to do so. I did not go there by myself, and I do not recommend anyone try and go there by themselves. It will only lead to the course being completely removed. Hopefully someday it will be restored to full status.

I thought I had better clear that up so that the course doesn't get a bombardment of random people showing up. Had it not been for the family member I played with I would not have gone.

I'm so glad I had a chance to play Bracket's Bluff last summer. It was way over my skill level but still it was awesome to play. This just makes me want to play more courses before they go away. I just played a small elementary school course in Seattle. It was not a great course at all but I was glad to get to play it because I'm pretty sure it will be extinct within a year or so.

Latest posts