• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My discs rise too much, especially early in in the flight

MrDarkHorse

Eagle Member
Is that ever anything other than a nose angle issue?

I feel like I'm trying to keep the nose down, even dipping the nose into the ground so that the nose is lower than the tail.

I know wind is going to play a factor here, so maybe that's part of it.

Can anything else cause the disc to rise a lot?

Sounds like a nose angle issue to me. Other, more pernicious, factors cause nose up problems beyond your grip on the disc, such as weight shift. Could be that your arm's not in sync with your weight shift, or you just aren't shifting your weight forward enough, so you might be releasing the disc nose up because of the way your body is telegraphing the shot. This is a major problem of mine.

I'm not the best, but I had a similar issue. For me it turned out to be nose issues combined with weight shift issues. For me I wasn't getting enough weight on my front foot upon release.

Throwing air bounces without knowing your doing so.... I know a guy that cant throw anything faster than a Cheetah because of it.

Throwing air bounces without knowing your doing so.... I know a guy that cant throw anything faster than a Cheetah because of it.
This ...

Have you played Ultimate? I've seen this a TON with Ultimate players that transition to disc golf.

I sometimes get unintentional air bounces, but never knew this was an actual thing until a couple days ago. The disc will start off going toward the ground, and then rise suddenly a bit at about 20-30feet out, but keeps a low flight the whole time.

Okay, I think after really focusing on this, I've determined that it was a relatively subtle wrist roll at the end of my throw.

I completely eliminated my run up, focusing only on my hip/shoulder rotation (more like a golf swing) and the delivery from the wrist, and the issue seems to have gone away. I think I'm going to keep my form this way for a little while and start working footwork back in slowly.

Are you throwing the disc level? I had this problem when I first started I would release about eye level instead of chest level! A tournament player noticed it he called it swooping during my x step I would lift my arm up too high and throw it way high.

I've been dealing with this; it's my main technique challenge at the moment.

Focusing on keeping the disc low(ish), driving straight through, getting my weight forward, and fully extending (outward not upward) have helped. When I get it right, I crush the disc, ~50' farther than normal, but I'm still far from consistent at the moment.

I have a saint, sidewinder, stalker, xl, xs, and a buzz that i can throw flat and low. Same throw with a star teebird and that teebird goes up up and away. I'm pleased with the distance i get from the teebird even when the flight didn't look so good. Still learning the bird i guess. Could the shape of the teebird make me grip it differently without knowing it? Any of those discs will go nose up if i throw too hard.