• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] My endless quest for a driving putter

How far are you throwing putters with all that snap/power? Sounds like a field session with Aviars/Magnets/any other slow, neutral putter may be just what the doctor ordered.
Just wanted to bump this back up. Wise words.
I agree.

You've been playing less than a year and unless you're some freak of athletic nature and your Simon Lizotte, my guess is your doing something a bit off.

If you're crushing putters 350-400ft, disregard my statements and carry on.
Paul/Nova. Period.

I don't mean to thread jack but I bag a Wizard /Rhyno for many years. Been wanting to try something different after reading this thread would a Scale /Proxy be about the same setup in flight?

The Scale's even more of a beefy brick than any Rhyno I've thrown except for the beefiest of premium plastic Rhynos. That said, the Fossil plastic is outstanding, and you should try one for it alone. It'll season to fly like a fresh premium blend Wizard.

The Proxy, as others have said, is a completely different animal than any of the molds you're currently throwing. It's quite fast for a putter and totally neutral. I have tried to pull it from my bag because I only use it for straight tunnels, but it's so good at them that it's earned a spot (I typically lean towards "swiss army discs" more than single-purpose, for me, molds).

While I doubt the Scale and Proxy will replace your Wizards and Rhynos, they would make an outstanding duo in their own right.

Can't comment on the Scale, but Proxy is VERY straight, unlike a Wizard.

If you want Straight / Overstable.

As Throwers Serpent / Scale are speed 2 discs with low glide, but are great throwers because you can use good power and it wont go TOO far and its easier to aim than powering down in my opinion

Proxy / Envy is another combo almost in another speed range entirely, these are easily 3.5-4 speed discs, much more glide as well. But still Putterish and are very nice to control.

MVP Atom is kinda the mix between the Proxy and Envy. To me, I like the Atom best now that it is in Proton plastic. Atom is really similar to a proxy tho, just feels thinner by a tinge and maybe more speed less glide and a lil more fade....but electron plastic is softer and beats, Proton is indestructible;)

Does anyone feel that a beat in DX Zone would work in this slot?

I've heard the Zone has a great feel for FH shots as well

Does anyone feel that a beat in DX Zone would work in this slot?

I've heard the Zone has a great feel for FH shots as well

Instead of a bt hard harp? Why?

Other than the fact that I personally don't like driving exclusively with baseline plastic, not even in putters, that just doesn't seem to make sense. You basically already throw the disc you're looking for, if that's the case.

trying a DX Vroc for this slot today, 1 disc round, not a fan of the roc like bead, but thinking I will really like it for BH drives- TBD

@EROPPER,

are you looking for something that has fade or no fade?

I assumed you were looking for something like a Rhyno with no bead.

@Gyro crowd - does the Proxy fade? From what I'm reading the Envy and Proxy are pretty neutral at the end of flight. I'm not sure what I'd do with something between the Pure and the Jokeri, but I'm always looking for a reason to try something in Plasma plastic..

The Jokeri has almost the same profile as the Proxy, is probably a little faster, at least as flat in Ultrium, and it is Rhyno OS throughout flight. Its made a huge impact in my forehand approach game and it gives me great options for the wooded courses up here between the Pure, Jokeri and Harp.

My N proxy does have some fade. Obviously the lower you keep the nose the less fade at putting distances I aim basically just right of center of the pole at 200' assuming good form I get about 5-10' of fade depending on throw height (assuming no cross wind). Mine is 164g so wind can play a bigger factor than with a max weight

My soft N's fade is little to none. It's well used but not what I would call heavily seasoned, by it's had the same flight since I got it. With approaches it will fade a little bit, but when mashed unless given some height it is going right on whatever line you stick it on with practically no turn or fade. Envy has some fade to it. It isn't hard and doesn't bite but glides out to the left for a decent ways.

If your flipping something like a P3 when its new, you just need to work on your form.

@EROPPER,

are you looking for something that has fade or no fade?

I assumed you were looking for something like a Rhyno with no bead.

@Gyro crowd - does the Proxy fade? From what I'm reading the Envy and Proxy are pretty neutral at the end of flight. I'm not sure what I'd do with something between the Pure and the Jokeri, but I'm always looking for a reason to try something in Plasma plastic..

The Jokeri has almost the same profile as the Proxy, is probably a little faster, at least as flat in Ultrium, and it is Rhyno OS throughout flight. Its made a huge impact in my forehand approach game and it gives me great options for the wooded courses up here between the Pure, Jokeri and Harp.

If the bolded is true, then get a Tank. It is literally a beadless Rhyno.

If the bolded is true, then get a Tank. It is literally a beadless Rhyno.

OP wasnt literally asking for a Rhyno, but I assumed that was an appropriately common reference for the stability range. The Tanks look really nice, and flatter than my Champ Rhyno. I'm not a huge fan of thumb tracks, but I'm a huge fan of Hyzerbomb making awesome versions of old Innova molds.

I would say that one is definitely worth checking out for the range you're looking for.

For me, its the judge. I got away from it for awhile and went to a shield because I was flipping my judges.. However, I realized I just needed to tweak my form and actually throw the putter properly. Now I use the judge as my putter and thrower, and only disc up to a harp for hard hyzers/windy shots. Just look at Drew Gibson. The dude bombs and he throws his judge off the tee often.

hypothetically, if I go with the Envy, which plastic tends to be more OS, Proton, Neutron or Plasma?
Soft Neutron has the most initial and lasting stability. My Reg neutron and proton have beat in to dead straight with minimal fade if at all after a couple seasons of use. The soft neutron is still the same after 2 years of use, such a durable blend. Try and get a max weight if you want it to have the most LSS

Last edited: