• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My journey to 450feet consistently. Help!

Thanks! I will focus on "shoulder snap drill", "dingle arm with a hammer" and also "Dan beato drill" just to get a feel for my elbow. I will start from scratch and throw short shots instead of trying to bomb shots. My next project will be crush the can. I will take some photos at field practice, trying to sort out my grip. Should I be curling my hand at 8-9 o' clock? Anyways, I will take some photos just to clarify this. Thanks again!

Don't curl your hand/wrist. The top of your wrist/hand should be level with your forearm, and the back of your hand should be in line, maybe 10 degrees closed, of your lower arm. Any more curl than that isn't necessary, the disc will get loaded back when you change arcs during the throw. Just don't start out with the hand and disc angled open.

Don't curl your hand/wrist. The top of your wrist/hand should be level with your forearm, and the back of your hand should be in line, maybe 10 degrees closed, of your lower arm. Any more curl than that isn't necessary, the disc will get loaded back when you change arcs during the throw. Just don't start out with the hand and disc angled open.

Thanks:thmbup: I will show a photo of what I mean. I tried getting my elbow more involved at a soccer field today, and I felt something I've never felt before when I'm throwing. For the first time I felt something in my tricep, especially on the backside. In the end I tried firing a missile and I had 2 discs that actually crossed a soccer field. Both of those were around 365 feet with no skip and also thrown standstill. These were probably on of my best drives ever when I exclude skips. Now it just has to stop pouring down so I can get some work in!

I decided to make a video to show my routine before throwing a disc. I have a routine where I place the disc in my hand and than I curl my fingers inside the rim, this is how I was taught to throw a disc. I watched a few clips on Youtube and I didn't really see anything I did wrong. However, I definitely see that I'm doing something completely different when I'm driving compared to everyone else. SW22 mentioned it seem like I'm gripping/pulling the disc from 11-12 o'clock, and I agree with him. I'm not trying to curl my wrist.

At 00:10 it seems like I'm pulling the disc wrong.

I tried gripping it a little different with a friend at a soccer field, and he seemed to do it correct. When I tried pulling it a bit different I actually felt something in my tricep also on the backside of my arm. It was the first time I've felt something when I'm throwing RHBH. I had 2 shots in a row that went insanely far compared to my average drive. It felt great.

At 00:19 I try to grip it a little bit different, more like 8-9 o'clock. I didn't try to curl my wrist or anything.

I'm just wondering, am I missing something? Do it look okay at 00:19? If not is there any video that cover this?

The weather is a bit unstable at the moment, I'm trying to have as much knowledge as possible until I can do more field work.

Thanks, you are all great:clap::thmbup:

Last edited:
It's tricky to tell exactly, but I like what you're doing at the 0:19 mark better. The wrist is a bit more closed and you are more on the opposite side of the disc. Seem to be sufficiently nose down.

Don't use your upper arm/shoulder muscles to move the upper arm/elbow forward/back. Keep the upper arm almost locked forward/wide in place and turn your shoulders/body back and forth more to swing just the lower arm/disc in/out of power pocket/right pec.

I'm sorry that I wasted my my thread with a lot of useless posts. I'm trying again.

Hi everyone, I've not been active here for a while but still fairly active in the felt.

I can throw around 350-370 feet on average with distance drivers. When I really bomb the disc I can go a little bit further, but it can also give me the total opposite result. Lately I haven't focused too much on my RHBH form, but I'm interested getting into it again. From today when I recorded, I haven't played in 15 days because of work. It did feel a bit weird to throw.

Throwing Star 'KJ' Teebird, Star TL3 and Champion Teebird.

Throwing rocs.

From what I'm seeing you're going over the top, but still have the from behind concept for your shift. It's like you are feeling some of the right things but also doing something that "feels powerful" but is instead very slow and off balance.

I would do the door frame drill so that you turn back more upright, and keep turning back to load into the rear hip as your plant foot is coming down/toes touching. Right now you get to maximum load back too early and drag the upper body forward. Then continually push the upper body way forward instead of catching your weight on the plant....

Your forward motion is too upper body oriented, you really tilt forward over the top instead of getting your torso to where you will plant, more upright and in balance, and letting the brace clear you out of the way. Too eager to throw and you are throwing your torso forward.

I think the throwing your torso forward is what is causing your rear leg to straighten out...it has to do this to counterbalance. If you maintain more upright posture then you will be able to transfer/leverage forward toward the target more easily off the rear leg, rather than just using the rear leg to stop yourself from tipping over.

Agree with SP about most of that especially needing to work on Door Frame Drills(also got back to post #3 on here and watch those vids again) - your disc is accelerating forward way too early and your shoulders are not turned back nearly far enough at the plant and you are hugging yourself with the upper arm against the chest too narrow angle. Need to really turn the body/shoulders further back and extend the upper arm wide away from your chest. I don't agree about getting any shift "from behind". Both heels are flat on the ground, so there is no shift there, it's just tipping over.

Your posture is really collapsed/folded and the arm/disc angles are wild. Keep the arm and disc on a smooth level plane. Your elbow is really low at address and dropping into the hit, and really high at the top of the backswing, so there is way too much height variation with the elbow. Keep your elbow about nipple high and only swing the lower arm/disc from the elbow. Your upper arm should not move much the shoulder joint. Your feet need to turn your body which turn the shoulders and arm/disc all together.

fpGByZx.png

One thing that really helped me was thinking of dropping the rear side in the weight shift instead of pushing it forward. All of your leverage and balance gets spent on the torso pushing you way over the top and forward. Instead, the weight should drop into the plant allowing you to leverage against the ground in the swing.
41lQ2Us.png
Check out the quoted text in this post from another thread.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3304933&postcount=104

Thanks for the feedback, this seem like a lot to fix. What do you recommend me to start fixing at first? I want to fix as much as possible, but feel I want to do it slow and proper and start fixing the correct stuff first.

Thanks for the feedback, this seem like a lot to fix. What do you recommend me to start fixing at first? I want to fix as much as possible, but feel I want to do it slow and proper and start fixing the correct stuff first.

Door frame drill. Stay upright, lead with your body weight instead of torso, and turn back deeper as you keep moving toward the plant.

I'm not entirely sure what torso is, I'm foreign. Can you explain?

I watched the door frame drill 4-5 times today. I most likely have to watch it again and again. I was only practicing standstill today and recorded some of it. I def felt more accurate compared to what I'm normally. There are probably lots of stuff that is still wrong, but I def felt some improvement today. My main goal today was to give my left foot air beneath.

Anyways, some of my recordings from today:

Torso - core of body - pelvis to shoulders:
ROMAFI-016F20150616-18999-j1awpi.jpg

See how your rear knee is extended with rear heel flat on the ground, pushing/tipping your spine over. See how perfectly dynamically balanced and centered Drew is with the rear foot having sent the lower body ahead of the upper body to catch upright from ground up. It is going to feel very different when you learn to balance dynamically upright instead of tipping/leaning off balance. You are over committing yourself one direction to target, need to remain in athletic quick balance to move in any direction back and forth or all directions/rotational. Work in Slow Motion and Perpetual Swinging back and forth.
NX5OwEo.png

Thanks, I'm wondering about a thing or two. When I'm driving with a run-up, I especially see that my body change the angle on the disc. I've been working with standstill mostly the last couple of days, but when I watch recording from the past I see that my body change the angle on the disc. Is this because I have a bad timing with my run-up and reachback or should I get my reachback wider? It seem like the disc in my reachback collide with my body. I'm wondering if I should get my reachback wider or if it will be fine when I get a better timing.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to get your reachback wider, it seems ok for now. Even in standstill you are pushing your upper body way forward and that is making the angles look crazy. Need to feel how to balance more upright and catch your weight. Also maybe try one leg throws, this way you can't push the upper body ahead off the rear leg, and being off balance will be even more apparent.

The upper arm actually looks wide, but the body and arm is bent all out of plane/posture so the swing is really narrow overall. The backswing never widens/extends out away from you, and the release/extension never widens back out. You keep your grip/wrist tightly curled at the top of the backswing, instead of letting it go. You need to toss the weight of the disc into the backswing like a hammer and gather more longer momentum to use more weight/pound the hammer's/disc's weight harder.

Highly recommend rewatching earlier vids/links in this thread - everything Tilted Spiral/ Braced Tilt.

Watch how KJ extends the disc away from him to the top of the backswing and the wrist is not curled:
6AjhIFG.png