• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My version of the Grip Eq bag

Not sure on the dimensions of the plexiglass, I did have to taper it since the front of the bag is is 1/2" narrower than the back. I just did a quick check of the internal dimensions, then tapered each side 1/4" to the front. I taped it since the edges are a bit jagged, I used a box knife and a crappy straight edge instead of clamps. A tight fit back into the bag, had to use needle nose pliers to close the top, but I don't suspect I will open it very often, if ever.

I also added adhesive backed rubber footing things (not sure of technical name, you can see them in the plexiglass picture on the frame) to the frame so the plexiglass would not rattle.

BTW be careful when cutting plexiglass without clamps, I had to be very careful as to not cut myself.

Not sure on the dimensions of the plexiglass, I did have to taper it since the front of the bag is is 1/2" narrower than the back. I just did a quick check of the internal dimensions, then tapered each side 1/4" to the front. I taped it since the edges are a bit jagged, I used a box knife and a crappy straight edge instead of clamps. A tight fit back into the bag, had to use needle nose pliers to close the top, but I don't suspect I will open it very often, if ever.

I also added adhesive backed rubber footing things (not sure of technical name, you can see them in the plexiglass picture on the frame) to the frame so the plexiglass would not rattle.

BTW be careful when cutting plexiglass without clamps, I had to be very careful as to not cut myself.

Alright, thanks for the help.

Well done sir. Very nice review. covered everything. The one thing I wish I could see is how it looks on you. How high it is on your back, and probably how much it weighs fully loaded and how it feels personally to you. I have one in the mail and it can't get here soon enough. Again great review.

It's adjustable, somewhat, you can make it slouch or ride up high. I like it a little higher so I can just reach back and grab my putter for easy putts.

Unloaded it is surprisingly light, you'll be pleased. Loaded is all personal preference. 20+ discs plus easily 1-3 pounds of stuff I carry depending on the course. Personally, very comfortable, zero complaints in that department.

I actually went to hobby lobby and got a piece of "craft wood", 40% off, and just stuck it in there. Could be another inch thick, but it works perfectly for me. It's plastic sealed so weathering isn't an issue. Plexiglass was my next choice if the wood would've been harder to put in.

I also cut a piece of plexiglass to act as a base between the compartments.
20130306_142732.jpg
I sacrificed a legal size clip board for that (letter size is too small); stiff, thin, lightweight, cheap.

Did you detach the clip or just leave it on?
No clip. I cut a piece 6" x 13" (13" is why letter size won't work) and just placed it on top of the fabric that forms the "floor" of the upper compartment. top with it in place, and realized "Who cares if it's above or beneath the material?" :doh: Not worth the hassle and it really doesn't matter.It's actually supported by the PVC frame, so the seams and zipper don't bear any weight.

Leaving the clip attached would be a royal pain. You'd have to make two long cuts pretty much the entire length of the board on either side of the clip (instead of just one). Personally, I see no use for the clip inside the upper compartment - would just reduce storage IMO. I thought about trying to place it directly on the PVC (under the fabric) but I couldn't re-zip the

Last edited:
Sorry for double post - interrupted while editing. This how the previous post should have read:
No clip. I cut a piece 6" x 13" (13" is why letter size won't work) and just placed it on top of the fabric that forms the "floor" of the upper compartment. I thought about trying to place it directly on the PVC (under the fabric) but couldn't re-zip the top with the shelf in place. Then I realized "Who cares if it's above or beneath the material?" :doh: Not worth the hassle trying to squeeze it in and it really doesn't matter. It's still actually supported by the PVC frame, so the seams and zipper don't bear any weight.

Leaving the clip attached would be a royal pain. You'd have to make two long cuts pretty much the entire length of the board on either side of the clip (instead of just one). Personally, I see no use for the clip inside the upper compartment - would just reduce storage IMO.

another under armour bag

I'm bound to a very low budget, so I'm all about d.i.y. gear. :thmbup:
I recently found this under armour soccer bag at a thrift store for $6:
http://www.soccer.com/review/index2.php?item_id=219447&site=01
Unfortunately, it appears to be long out of production.:\

The PVC frame cost me $9 to build and so far I'm enjoying this bag more than my cabela's xpg for a couple of reasons--better accessibility to my discs and the two side pockets hold a sizeable water bottle each (one is a 24 oz. kleen kanteen). As far as modding the bag, I simply cut out the front pocket backing to gain frontal access to the main compartment. All the things I carried in the top of my cabela's xpg are now kept in the bottom pocket of this bag safely underneath my discs. There is one slight downfall--no devoted putter pocket, though a putter fits in front of the discs as shown below. The frame is shown holding 3 putters, 4 mid-ranges, and 10 drivers with a little shimmy room so my discs aren't mashed together. I keep my blunt gumputt underneath with other stuff since I don't use it too often.

It has a couple other interesting features as well, including a 3.5 foot fold out waterproof mat that is attached inside a zippered pocket underneath. This easily comes up over and around the entire bag for rain protection. I haven't fiddled with how to modify it for that purpose...yet.

Attachments

• front view bag.jpg
    front view bag.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 100
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 73
  • mat.jpg
    mat.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 66
Had to learn how to hand sew

The alteration shop guy looked at me like I was crazy, so I had to sew all these mods myself. All the pieces came off either this bag or an old Innova Deluxe I had stuck under the house.

The shelf is a scrap of laminate. We first tried securing it under the top PVC bracket but that interfered with removing discs easily so after a little scrollsaw work and it fits above perfectly and also creates a stash spot for flat items like a rulebook between the shelf and the fabric divider.

I added in interior zippered mesh pocket to the top back seem, it just hangs along the back. The mini-pocket was made from the backing to the sunglass case. I also water-proofed the bottom with plasti-dip spray, super easy.

I really like the seat and how easily removed it is for quicker rounds but doesn't add much weight when in place. I'm not sure Ill add padding as it is already pretty comfortable but you can't use the top putter pocket when seated. The stretchable clip over the disc access area makes that a non-issue as it holds things well and easy to get to.

Attachments

• IMG_0539[1].jpg
    IMG_0539[1].jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0540[1].jpg
    IMG_0540[1].jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0543[1].jpg
    IMG_0543[1].jpg
    139 KB · Views: 94
Since the cabelas bags are no longer manufactured ...

I've been searching for a possible replacement and think I might just have found one.

I'm a little concerned it might be tough to get discs from the far right and left sides and also if it's deep enough.
I also dont see anywhere evident for a putter

it has a rain fly
drink holder
chair holder
pocket for phones and pens and stuff
and a top storage compartment

so check it out and let me know your concerns ... I might actually buy one just to check it out

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Design-Multi-Use-Digital-Backpack/dp/B006FM6362

I've been searching for a possible replacement and think I might just have found one.

I'm a little concerned it might be tough to get discs from the far right and left sides and also if it's deep enough.
I also dont see anywhere evident for a putter

it has a rain fly
drink holder
chair holder
pocket for phones and pens and stuff
and a top storage compartment

so check it out and let me know your concerns ... I might actually buy one just to check it out

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Design-Multi-Use-Digital-Backpack/dp/B006FM6362

That bag is a whole lot smaller than you think it is. It's only a few inches deep. (That's what she said)

I was just able to buy one of the xpg pro bags from the cabelas site... product page now says sold out, I wonder if I'll actually get it.

This thread's full of all kinds of good ideas, but trust me on this one: hit it with a 3-4 coats of brush on Plasti-dip before you use the bag. It will enhance the bag's durability and abrasion resistance... BIG-time. To me, that's the main benefit, and the waterproof bottom's just a bonus.

This thread's full of all kinds of good ideas, but trust me on this one: hit it with a 3-4 coats of brush on Plasti-dip before you use the bag. It will enhance the bag's durability and abrasion resistance... BIG-time. To me, that's the main benefit, and the waterproof bottom's just a bonus.

^^^ This.

I got a Grip bag as a gift a few weeks ago, but haven't taken it out in the messy SE Wisconsin snow/slop yet. It's just too damn pretty. :D

The coats of Plasti-Dip on the bottom of the Cabelas bag are WELL worth the $6 you'll spend on a can of the stuff. I've had to set my bag in what are basically shallow puddles and I never get even a drop of water inside the disc compartment.

Everyone should know that on the Cabela's main website the Cabela's XPG® Pro is sold out due to the large demand with discgolfers. I had a Cabela's exec find my blog post on my Cabela's bag and sent me an e-mail on what I had to do to adapt it for DG. He wanted to know how many DG'ers I knew had a Cabela's backpack and how they were holding up.

I told him how I built the lower section frame, waterproofed the botom, sewed in zipper stops, the top front pocket could be deeper so a putter could fit all the way in and the bag needed insulated side holders for 32oz bottles.Stuff like that.

My impression is that he was doing research in to either modifying the backpack for a Cabela's DG version or doing it himself and marketing it on his own.

I told him he needed to get with the local DG scene and learn more about the sport and how DG wears and tears on a backpack.

Latest posts