• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nate The Great? [Sexton]

If top pros played doubles tournaments I could see him being one of the best doubles players ever. His consistency and calculated shots would allow his partner to be as agressive as they want. Plus his attitude of staying calm and collected would help.

If top pros played doubles tournaments I could see him being one of the best doubles players ever. His consistency and calculated shots would allow his partner to be as agressive as they want. Plus his attitude of staying calm and collected would help.

It's shame we will never see a Sexton/Mcbeth combo in a doubles world format. I think the PDGA only runs mixed doubles, correct? That would be a fun pairing to watch.

We need a new division: Men's Pro Dubs (MPD). That would be amazing. Just imagine the Discmania A team: Simon & Eagle. I would almost put that pair as unbeatable by any other team of players that are currently sponsored by the same company. (I mean, if the format is always best shot.)

McBeth/Sexton could give them a run for their money in best shot, and might have a slight edge in worst shot.

Absolutely love Sexton, but he's not the best "overall" player. He's top notch mentally but lacks backhand confidence (IE: Throwing forehand on Bridge hole) as well as distance putting (switching to a reachback motion trying to throw-in his Dart outside of 45 foot, instead of jump putting). Based on 2018 performance Eagle has shown he is the best overall player.

At this point Eagle has not shown that he's the best player in all conditions and style of courses. Luckily he's got time to get better and likely be the player that maintains top five ranking or >1030 for the longest. Interesting thing about Nathan Sexton is he's always had super star peaking players outshine him since becoming a pro. He's soldiered through Climo, Schultz, Feldberg, Jenkins, Locastro, Doss, Anthon, McBeth, Wysocki and had to fend off all the up and coming young guns over the years. In some ways it seems he's underperformed but then you look at who else he was on the cards with. To be >1020 for 10 years and barely a step behind the best players the game has had for so long maybe just makes him the undisputed 2nd Best Overall Player of All Time.

if he has a great attitude why did he call brp soft then get mad when a spectator called him out on his comment?

Because the spectator was stupid and misunderstood what Sexton meant, then razzed him DURING the round.

Sexton's sentence, in context, was (and is) correct. A local just got all in his feelings over it.

It's shame we will never see a Sexton/Mcbeth combo in a doubles world format. I think the PDGA only runs mixed doubles, correct? That would be a fun pairing to watch.

Never say never...the PGA implemented a doubles event on tour a couple years back and it's been pretty successful. The pros and the spectators seem to have really taken to it.

I think it could be even more successful in disc golf if the event organizers do their due diligence (part of which IMO would be studying the PGA's example) and create the right atmosphere.

I think Simon and Sexton would be the best pair. You'd have Sexton keeping everything in the fairway and you'd have Simon going for those crazy lines. Yin and Yang balancing each other other out. I think in doubles extreme style differences can make for an unbeatable team.

I think Simon and Sexton would be the best pair. You'd have Sexton keeping everything in the fairway and you'd have Simon going for those crazy lines. Yin and Yang balancing each other other out. I think in doubles extreme style differences can make for an unbeatable team.
Hard to tell whether that mismatch would also be ideal when playing alternate shot.

Lizotte and Wysocki. I think Simon is the best putter outside Ricky range, and Wysocki has some great scramble skills.

I had the fortune of playing with Nate a bunch of times at our weekly club events in Asheville during his time here. He's obviously the best partner to have during a round, but the most fun was playing on his card partnered against him. Your game elevates when talent like that is pushing the pace. He's a great human, dad and golf ambassador. He's also a fun dude to play golf with. He talks golf, life and smack.
The first time i met Nate i was kinda re-new to golf and knew nothing about the 'pro' aspect of the game. I lost a disc at a local course and gave up looking for it and some dude caught up with me on the next tee. He said he was new to town and asked if i wanted to throw. I am always happy to meet new peeps so i welcomed him.
Over the next 6 holes i saw dg in a whole new light. It was not until the next day i learned that i met one of the world's best. It all made sense shortly after....

Nate is taking most of next year off isnt he, with a child and his wife in residency?

I wonder what place Nate would be if you took average finishes the last 5 years or so at A-tiers...

At this point Eagle has not shown that he's the best player in all conditions and style of courses. Luckily he's got time to get better and likely be the player that maintains top five ranking or >1030 for the longest. Interesting thing about Nathan Sexton is he's always had super star peaking players outshine him... maybe just makes him the undisputed 2nd Best Overall Player of All Time.

You lost me when you said something is "maybe undisputed"...

I personally find Eagle annoying AF, but I said based on 2018 performance, he's the best overall player so far this year. He's won 3 NTs and a Major. How has Nate winning 1 event all year with only 3 other top 5 performances qualify him as a better overall player this year?

It sounds like most people in here are disagreeing with this assessment, but look at their PDGA pages for the year, results are results.

I heard the nickname Nate "Safe"ton in the CCDG commentary, seemed to work for him well at Ledgestone.

what did i miss?

Ricky has gained a reputation for foot faulting. Given the Ricky vs Paul dynamic, it is inevitable that it will be called up repeatedly. It doesn't help that Paul is immaculate about his foot placement and Ricky is less so.

One could make an argument that if Ricky spent more time thinking about his foot placement, that it might impact his overall game and finishes.

I will also note that some of the best players of all time, cough - Climo - cough have been videoed foot faulting too... numerous times.

It's why the foot fault debate rages eternal.

Latest posts