• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nation's Capital

adlacro

Cubic Zirconium Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I am taking a trip to Washington, DC at the end of the month, over Labor Day weekend. The only things on the agenda so far are church, sight seeing (when in DC, do as the tourists do). I'm going to be staying in Vienna, VA. I was wondering if anyone near the area had an idea of a nice 18 hole course that wouldn't be more than 20 minutes or so from almost any point on the Beltway. I have never visited the area, and we're only going to be down there Sat and Sun, and we do have a baseball game to watch at new Nats Park. If anyone on the board has a suggestion, that'd be great. It could be a course that stands out, or just something along my way. I plan on taking I-95. Thank you, Andrew L.

Quite honestly, it sounds like your schedule is already pretty full! Never underestimate the number of interesting things to see and do in DC. But since you asked -

Burke Lake in Fairfax is probably the closest course to Vienna. The only two courses inside the Beltway are Bluemont in Arlington and Calvert in College Park, MD. I've played the first two; none are known as bad courses but also don't have the reputation of courses you should fit into an otherwise full DC weekend either. Seneca Creek in Gaithersburg is the truly exceptional course in the area, but is more than 20 minutes outside the Beltway I think, and requires a good two hours to play, too.

I'm guessing you're coming from the north, perhaps a stop in Elkridge, MD to play Rockburn Branch is warranted. It's just south of Baltimore and only a few minutes off I-95. Now that is a great course. It's long, full of varied challenges, beautiful, and #15 is one of the best holes I've ever played, easily. In the interest of full disclosure, though, there's no teepads, you need a map and even then it's a little bit of a challenge to follow, and the lost disc potential is very high, especially in the summer. For me, though, those are all worthy prices to pay to play this course.

Enjoy.

Bluemont in Arlington is your best bet for a course close to you. It's only 9 holes, but with 3 distinct sets of tees per hole you could play it as 18. It's one of the best 9 hole courses I've ever played.

You can safely skip the other four 9 hole courses in NoVA.

If you have time for a little longer drive then by all means go to Seneca Creek S.P. in Gaithersburg. 27 great holes, and there's a huge park if others in your family need sth to do.

Calvert Road in College Park MD is inside the Beltway too. Not a bad course, but nowhere near the caliber of Seneca.

What city are you staying in?

You might want to hit Patapsco or Rockburn Branch on your way down I-95 if you can swing it. Of the two, Patapsco is the better one if you're pressed for time and have to choose.

Oh yeah, you'll be in Vienna...

Correction: I mentioned "the other 4 nine hole courses in NoVA". I made a mistake in that they aren't all 9 holers. The courses closest to Vienna are

• Bluemont (9)
  • McLean (9)
  • Bull Run (18)
  • Burke Lake (18)
  • Lorton (18)
  • Calvert Road (18)
The 4 I meant-- McLean, Bull Run, Burke Lake, and Lorton-- are all older, shorter courses, but, of these, only McLean is 9 holes. If you only have time for 1 then make it Bluemont.

Last edited:
I live inside the beltway, and yes, Bluemont is a great choice -- best 9 hole I've played. But if you can play Seneca, DO! It is 27 holes and some of them are among the most scenic holes I've ever played. It is well worth the time, and beautiful enough you can bring the family and they can just enjoy the park.

Next week, I'm heading up to Allentown area for the first time and can't wait to see the courses there. Nockamixon I've heard is AWESOME!

t i m: I've heard Nockamixon is awesome, as well. But I've also heard that it hasn't been upkept too much this summer, so you might have some problems finding discs in waist high grass. If you get frustrated, Jordan Creek was in pretty nice condition at the beginning of July. 60 par 18 hole course with lots of variety. It's about 30 minutes north of Nockamixon.
Just an FYI

t i m: I've heard Nockamixon is awesome, as well. But I've also heard that it hasn't been upkept too much this summer, so you might have some problems finding discs in waist high grass. If you get frustrated, Jordan Creek was in pretty nice condition at the beginning of July. 60 par 18 hole course with lots of variety. It's about 30 minutes north of Nockamixon.
Just an FYI

mmmatt - thanks for the headsup. I sincerely hope they get Nockamixon mowed before we get there -- It is one of those courses I've just heard story after story about from people who have played all over the country. But the plan is that our 1.5 days in Allentown will include Jordan's Creek, Little Lehigh Valley, Nockamixon and Tinicum. So if Nockamixon is too overgrown, we'll just add in an extra round at one of those other courses... We can't lose. :)

Seneca is easy to get to and about 20 minutes from the beltway. Take 270 North to the Clopper Road exit. Stay on Clopper 2 miles, the park entrance is on the left.

Personally, I would bail on Bluemont unless it's all you have time for. Come to Seneca. It's WELL worth it. If you shot a 90 at Seneca (which you won't), you'll still have a better time here than watching the Nationals play. Skip the game and get another round in. The golf is FAR better than the baseball.

If you're coming from Allentown, WHY are you taking 95? You must like the extra driving and the $10 in tolls. Take 78W to 81S though Harrisburg, then get on US 15 South to Frederick MD. From Fredneck, take I-270 South to DC. You'll save 20-30 minutes of driving and $10 going this way. I live in DC but I'm from Easton and travel to and from the A-B-E area all the time. Trust me, you DON'T wanna take 95 if you're coming from Allentown.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your responses. It's nice to know that I have other dg'ers looking out for me. I am staying in Vienna, but the plans are rather well laid out. The mention that somebody made about taking 81 was rather interesting. I, however, am picking somebody up before we go and we're going to be in Newtown, PA the night before. From there it's going to be easier to trump down 95. I enjoyed all the suggestions and will have to make a decsion. We're also going to be driving on the infamous bridge over the Chesapeake Bay. I'm not driving, so wherever we stop would be up to them, not me. I appreciate all the comments out there, thanks. Andrew L.

Latest posts