• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Necessity of Fairway Drivers

Turning over a teebird is not normal. Ive seen beat dx teebirds go straight 400' without turning. However, most of us can't do that. I can chuck my orc 350'ish but i usually throw my katana or boss for no specific reason. They dont fly any further, unless i use a blizzard(they go further). Throw what you like, and have fun!

I never had good results with the Teebird and always got a ton of flip out of it, so I went with the Eagle X mold. IMO Teebirds are not that great and for me it's all about the Eagle X. I will not use a driver on a hole under 385' because the Eagle gets there accurately everytime I throw it but for the big D bring on the wide rim stuff.

Last edited:
I never had good results with the Teebird and always got a ton of flip out of it, so I went with the Eagle X mold. IMO Teebirds are not that great and for me it's all about the Eagle X. I will not use a driver on a hole under 385' because the Eagle gets there accurately everytime I throw it but for the big D bring on the wide rim stuff.

You must have one f*ck of an arm to get near 400' with a fairway driver and to get an XCal to go straight. Impressive, but I'll happily take whatever distance I can get as long as I can be accurate. :)

Not to question your abilities but big arms and pros have no trouble throwing a teebird on a rope huge D without it flipping, it is one seriously straight disc. When I've seen teebirds flip and burn its generally rolling over of shoulders that causes it.

I don't see why you need fairways, mids, or putters.. just master ONE disc. Groove. amidoingitright?

I have to turn to fairway drivers like a dx leopard in order to have a turnover driver. I just donj't have the arm to turn over the faster discs unless there's headwind. Except now there's the 132 blizzard katana, but that thing is nuts. Never know what it's going to do or where it's going to go. And it doesn't go farther than a leopard for me. I can get a min weight roadrunner to to turn over a tiny bit, but it doesn't give me a serious turnover shot.

Fairway drivers seem to gave more glide than faster discs,
so I usually can throw them the same distance as high speed discs, but more easily.
I also disc-ed down last spring and still haven'y really come back up.
I can't even remember the last time I threw Wraith or something really fast like that.
I, too, am pumped for the FD.

yeah the higher speed of fairway drivers gives you that extra d when throwing on holes with low ceilings.

This exactly.

I often end up in similar situations where I think "why do I need a Buzzz when my Wizzzard can do everything a mid can do and more?" Then I step up to a 270' low ceiling, tight fairway and remember why it is I carry mids. Same is true of 300'+ holes when pushing mids becomes exponentially more difficult the lower the ceiling. Fairway drivers give you the speed to get down the lanes and the accuracy to be...well, accurate.

Plus, I really use fairway drivers to choke up on distance anyway. I'd rather put a Teebird 380' with the same form I'd throw my Destroyer, without having to worry about overshooting the hole. That's just me though. I like control.

Guess I mostly got them for discing down purposes. Not to say that I don't break out my wraith or flow for long open holes. I picked up an ESP cyclone, and 2 champ leopards. Not sure if you'd call strikers fairway drivers since they're the same speed as the valkyrie. My GL river is there to fly long under all those branches. My champ teebird is like a laser until it slows down. I guess basically I'm saying getting more control and hitting specific lines will help your scores.

I took out my TeeBird because of the distance gap was not important, but I am putting it back in for the stability gap between the Leopard/River and the Wraith.

For all purposes, the Fairway drivers are great drivers regardless of their speed number.

I always find it great when I pull out a Leopard, Mako, or Vector while my friend throws a Nuke, Riot, or Xcal.. The face when I land right next to him.. Control is more important then Distance.. I'd rather have a Eagle/Leopard over a Nuke/Xcal any day. Fairways are very important.

Latest posts