• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] FD1 Stable Fairway 7 | 4 | 0 | 2

seedlings

* Ace Member *
The new Discmania FD1 is a stable fairway, borderline overstable. Off the shelf, and through a one-disc-only round ( two FD1 thrown off each tee), it shows no sign of turn out of the hand. None. One of them skipped onto the street, was ran over by a car and tumbled underneath with no stability or plastic lost. Powers out of 300~325' flex shots easily. I couldn't reach a 365' pin on flat ground, where I can with an FD. I tried flexing, but not enough power from me or help from the disc.

Really nice on my weak sauce forehands, where an FD is not really usable.

It sits very nicely between an FD and the FD3. FD3 is extremely overstable compared to the FD1.

The FD1 is a shorter PD, which is a fantastic slot.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 26
FD1

Mine just came in today, haven't had a chance to throw them yet but they feel similar to an eagle, maybe slightly deeper. They don't feel quite as shallow, flat, or "low profile" as an FD2 and from what I've heard they're quite a bit more overstable.

The flight is nothing like an Eagle, but I'm going to dig one out to compare angles. The Eagle has a rounded shoulder and flat across the very top, while the FD1 doesn't have that, but has a shallower shoulder and much larger area of flatness.

FD1

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with most of that.. my blue fd1 flies exactly like my beat in champ eagle and the white Fd1 flies like last years glow Barsby. The shape is nearly identical to my flatter champ eagle. There is a large range of flat/domey with eagles, so for that it definitely is more similar to the flat or mild dome ones for sure.

I threw my last champ Eagle in the water somewhere by Maricopa. But there is nothing similar between the FD1 and Star Eagle I bagged for a while. Even if there is something that looks similar in my pics, they aren't in real life. Dome, shoulder, wing, flight are all different. I don't recall the Champ Eagles I had being very much different than this Star.

xM02i7v.jpg

nO9jnwH.jpg

If it breaks into an Eagle flight, I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
Only a few throws so far but seems like a very promising little fairway driver. Surprisingly good glide in the stability range it offers. I feel like several similar discs can be very dumpy. Seems to respond well to varying amounts of anyhyzer out of the hand, which is a trait I emply often.

So lets recap.

First there was the original FD2. I recall it didnt have good glide and was pretty fadey. So no Teebird by any means.

So few years pass and they tweak the mold, these new version FD2 included the Konopiste shimmer FD2 and glow Royal rage FD2. More glide and then a decent fade.
Then they decided to do one last tweak before releasing the stock c-line, so those were version 3 and I recall they flew pretty much like v2.

Then Discmania and Innova split up.

And now this new FD2 sounds like the original FD2? Maybe because the new stock FD's are already pretty stable ��

Last edited:
Royal Rages were the first runs of the 3rd tooling FD2s. Same mold as the stock stamp C-Line, just mellowed out by the color glow plastic.

I never realized the color glow mellowed the flight. I figured it was more stable. I only got into Disc Golf in 2019, just in time for production everywhere to stop. I haven't thrown many OG of anything.

So lets recap.

First there was the original FD2. I recall it didnt have good glide and was pretty fadey. So no Teebird by any means.

So few years pass and they tweak the mold, these new version FD2 included the Konopiste shimmer FD2 and glow Royal rage FD2. More glide and then a decent fade.
Then they decided to do one last tweak before releasing the stock c-line, so those were version 3 and I recall they flew pretty much like v2.

Then Discmania and Innova split up.

And now this new FD2 sounds like the original FD2? Maybe because the new stock FD's are already pretty stable ��

Pretty much. Those shimmer FD2s were like mini Firebirds.

FWIW the Discmania manufactured S-FDs are way less stable than the current C-FDs. The C-FDs is a good disc in itself, but not the flippy butter they once were, which people may expect them to be if they dont read what people are saying about them.

Latest posts