• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Need help picking a putter...

Saskatchewon

I'm trying to decide on what putter (for in the circle) to give a try. I know what feels good in my hands, but there are no stores nearby and I'm forced to order online.

As far as feel goes, I prefer something shallow with a flat top. I'm cycling three BT Firm Harps in my bag, and love them for approaches and short drives (I can even flick them!), and they feel great in hand for putting, but I find them too fast and overstable for putting (they were designed to be driving putters).

I should also point out that I really like WestSide's BT Firm plastic for putting (I hate super soft putters), so I would prefer suggestions that were in the Trilogy, but am willing to try something new.

So knowing that I prefer shallow rims with a flat top, what can you guys recommend for me?

I'm trying to decide on what putter (for in the circle) to give a try. I know what feels good in my hands, but there are no stores nearby and I'm forced to order online.

As far as feel goes, I prefer something shallow with a flat top. I'm cycling three BT Firm Harps in my bag, and love them for approaches and short drives (I can even flick them!), and they feel great in hand for putting, but I find them too fast and overstable for putting (they were designed to be driving putters).

I should also point out that I really like WestSide's BT Firm plastic for putting (I hate super soft putters), so I would prefer suggestions that were in the Trilogy, but am willing to try something new.

So knowing that I prefer shallow rims with a flat top, what can you guys recommend for me?

Not exceptionally shallow but they are board flat, low glide (but much less overstable), and incredibly reliable chain smashers... the RDG Serpent. Fossil plastic is attempt to honor old school KC Pro plastic and I think we have done a fantastic job.

Check Them Out

Another option that I think you might like would be the Atom. They're a little fast but meet most of your criteria.

Zero hard spike or zero hard pure are a good place to start. Pure is the de facto suggestion given its history if being awesome in general and winning putting championships.

I am on a similar search and these are my findings;

Shield- does everything I want but feels very deep.
Shaman- wish it were more stable but really like it.
Serpent-was still deep feeling to me but not too bad
Warlock- too deep and domey
Atom- very promising this is a contender
Gui- really nice but almost a little too OS for in the circle. Wish they were not all yellow.

Want to try a War Spear as well since it is supposed to be a Shaman OS.

Pure has a lot of glide which I don't live in a putter. Hit a lot of bands using the Pure.

Dynamic Discs Warden in Classic plastic (which is very firm). If it's too firm, try Classic Blend, which is what I like. The Warden is a beadless disc. The top is flat and the grip is fairly shallow (I'm comfortable with it, for sure). The Warden also flies a little flatter and straighter than it's beaded cousin, the Judge. The Judge can tail off at the end of a longer putt (25 ft. or more), which seemed to be your issue.

If the Warden doesn't do it for you, I'd suggest going outside the Trilogy and picking up a PA-4 in baseline 300S plastic. The plastic is very firm (almost as stiff as McPro plastic), but grippy. The grip is shallow (squared off, too) and very flat on top. The PA-4 is a very flat-flying disc in the circle if thrown flat.

Another vote for Pure. I have used them for over 2 years now and prior to that I tried so many putters that I did not like. They are a little overstable when new. I love that they come in 3 plastics for weather difference. I use a soft in freezing winter (if I get out of Florida), use the medium in any conditions & hard in the mid summer heat.

Another overstable shallow putter I love is the D line Discmania P3. I use this for longer upshots or right off the tee on short or downhill ace runs. I have not tried the C-line P3.

I will be the first in line if Discmania comes out with a s-line P3.

Dynamic Discs Warden in Classic plastic (which is very firm). If it's too firm, try Classic Blend, which is what I like. The Warden is a beadless disc. The top is flat and the grip is fairly shallow (I'm comfortable with it, for sure). The Warden also flies a little flatter and straighter than it's beaded cousin, the Judge. The Judge can tail off at the end of a longer putt (25 ft. or more), which seemed to be your issue.

If the Warden doesn't do it for you, I'd suggest going outside the Trilogy and picking up a PA-4 in baseline 300S plastic. The plastic is very firm (almost as stiff as McPro plastic), but grippy. The grip is shallow (squared off, too) and very flat on top. The PA-4 is a very flat-flying disc in the circle if thrown flat.

I have a buddy who swears by his Judge (never seen a guy bomb so many 25-30 footers in a single round before), I'll ask to borrow it for a few putts and see how it feels. The Warden sounds promising.

Another vote for Pure. I have used them for over 2 years now and prior to that I tried so many putters that I did not like. They are a little overstable when new. I love that they come in 3 plastics for weather difference. I use a soft in freezing winter (if I get out of Florida), use the medium in any conditions & hard in the mid summer heat.

Another overstable shallow putter I love is the D line Discmania P3. I use this for longer upshots or right off the tee on short or downhill ace runs. I have not tried the C-line P3.

I will be the first in line if Discmania comes out with a s-line P3.

Glow P3's are :thmbup:

What about the Mercy? It is more shallow to me than what I putt with now(P2) and seems fairly flat. Feels a little shallower than the Warden I got from a tournament.

That's the second time the Atom has popped up here. I'm leaning towards the Pure (mostly due to familiarity with the plastic), but does anyone happen to know how the Pure and Atom compare, other than the obvious overmold difference?

The Atom is faster with a little more fade when new. You also won't find a firm plastic for the Atom. Electron isn't much stiffer than Electron Soft.

I would look at the Ringer, but I think you'll have trouble finding them in a stiffer Pro-D plastic. Since you like the Lat Group, Pure or Judge would be my suggestion.

I Highly recommend Prodigy 350 Pa3 . I also putt with a BT hard Harp and I agree with you entirely. The 350 pa3 will feel very similar to the BT hard plastic and the flight is perfect......trust me

Also, I dig the MVP Atom in the firm element plastic, its low profile and straight, but a lil fast compared to the pa3.

trust me............trust me........;)

I love my gateway Chiefs for inside the circle putting. They fly straight with significant fade when used for putting. Driving however they are hyzerflip machines.

Particularly love them for tail wind putts. I've hit some long ones with my chief.

If I was still using Lat putters, I'd say the pure or spike. I went to the spike after, as someone mentioned, having issues with the glide and hitting bands a lot. The spike is a bit lower profile. I keep going back to my Gateway Wizards and Magics.

I highly recommend Prodigy putters. I use the PA1 & PA4. They are both beadless and shallow. I hear a lot of people saying good things about the PA3 (Beaded). I didn't like the PA2 because the edges felt too sharp. Prodigy has great plastic for putters with the 300 and 350g.