• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] need help replacing my riptide

Duane1985

Long story short. Had a riptide given to me and love it. I look to buy more and find out it is OOP. Any ideas on what I can replace it with since I do not want to hunt down OOP stuff to replace it. Thanks in advance.

stag, fl, tracker would be my suggestions. depending on how beat it was.

I had one once that I liked at first then started to hate it. Aren't they about a speed seven with a lot of high speed turn and a lot of fade? like 7/5/-3/3 ? I can't remember exactly but a new westside hatchet is faster but will give you that same turn with fade. Discraft XL also faster but good for S lines. A discmania FD might work too but those are straighter with less fade and turn.

Clearwater disc golf has tons of them as well, you might want to start by posting a WANTED listing in the marketplace, DGCR users probably have some extras they will part with for a good price.

I just got a Riptide from MSt. It will replace my Discmania DD Hysteria. My DD started out a meathook, but it has started strsightening out. Its a little bit longer (like 10-20ft) than my Riptide. The DD holds its line with a late fade. Like I said, my Riptide is fresh, so I'm not sure how it will break in. A Sidewinder might work, too, although I haven't thrown one in yrs.

Yeah man. The only reason I got mine was b/c MSt had them on sale for $7.50. I don't regret it a bit. In fact, I'm temped to grab another since they are going away. While you're at it, grab an Aftershock. You won't be disappointed.

I don't know how broke in mine is but it flies flat and straight till around 300 and then just starts to fade off. I get a nice s curve with a little anny and it holds a hyzer well still.

Undertow

Long story short. Had a riptide given to me and love it. I look to buy more and find out it is OOP. Any ideas on what I can replace it with since I do not want to hunt down OOP stuff to replace it. Thanks in advance.

You should definitely try out the undertow.

I agree with the Undertow recommend. The SP has the right kind of stability and speed to be very similar. The Undertow maxes at 320 for me, (unless I sky roll it 400+). The First Flight Pro Undertows are less stable. Its my turnover/roller disc. The SP has replaced my Leopard.

The Riptide is more forgiving and has a more consistent fade. My Riptide range is from 310-330. SP Riptide would be sweet, or better yet Flex Riptide! I have a 174g, and I bought a 165g Riptide just to be silly. I'm curious to see how it will fly.

Oh and Riptides are better in the wind, crosswinds in particular. The Undertow has scary turn, often never coming back when confronting a left to right crosswind. I guess that was the basis of my consistency point

I plugged in some discs in the Inbounds chart that I thought were close to the Riptide. Sidewinder is a terrible suggestion. Disregard.

This is purely speculation... but I think Riptides are Avengers. The chart shows nearly identical flight numbers. I remember Avengers to have more fade, but again, its been a while. The Inbounds chart also shows the Undertow to be a touch understable. Those are probably Pro plastic #s, so the SP will be slightly more stable. Having last thrown an FLX Avenger, it could account for my memories of more fade.

Long story short, try an 8/10 ESP Avenger

I plugged in some discs in the Inbounds chart that I thought were close to the Riptide. Sidewinder is a terrible suggestion. Disregard.

This is purely speculation... but I think Riptides are Avengers. The chart shows nearly identical flight numbers. I remember Avengers to have more fade, but again, its been a while. The Inbounds chart also shows the Undertow to be a touch understable. Those are probably Pro plastic #s, so the SP will be slightly more stable. Having last thrown an FLX Avenger, it could account for my memories of more fade.

Long story short, try an 8/10 ESP Avenger

You are exactly right about the SP Undertow. Definitely more HSS and LSS than the Prolines. They pair well together I think.

I actually just got my hands on two first flight riptides that I am loving. They have a very interesting flight to me. The glide on them is incredible and they are a pretty effortless hyzer flip disc. Great for shot shaping. I wish that they would have been more popular so that I don't have to hunt for what is quickly becoming my favorite disc. It's a good thing I got a backup.