• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help with a scoring system

Bamm

Double Eagle Member
So I have a group of guys (7-9) that get together and have 2 days of DG in May every year. We usually play 7-9 courses in these two days. I want to set up a scoring system to decide an overall "champion" of the 2 day event but I don't want to use total strokes. Any suggestions?

Why do you not want to make the guy with the lowest score the champion

Assign points for place on each course. 10 points for 1st, 7 for 2nd, 6 for 3rd, etc. Add up the points at the end.

It's definitely more complicated but it might be interesting to set up a match play, round robin event where everyone plays every other player once.

Why do you not want to make the guy with the lowest score the champion

Well, I do understand what you're saying but last year the final game, the guy that had won the most rounds ended up with a slight back injury and if we had gone with total strokes, he would have finished 3rd. I have thought about assigning a "point" value to each positional finish, i.e. 10 pts for 1st, 7 pts for 2nd down to 1 point for last.
The biggest reason I throw this out here is just to see if anybody else has done this and the pros/cons of it. Thanks guys...........jb

We always do total strokes but then subtract one stroke for every Shiner consumed.

Example from when we only counted 2 rounds of golf but 3 days of drinking:
Code:
Golf	Shiner	Total	Player
136	71	65	Neif
134	53	81	Bej
133	46	87	Fausch
147	58	89	Harvey
130	40	90	G
129	23	106	K
120	11	109	Clue
178	49	129	Jerms
175	34	141	JayR

See how Clue beat the field by 9 strokes over 2 rounds, but only drank 11 Shiners in 3 days. 7th place, baby!

Okay, scenario time. On a 8 roound schedule, Player A has won 4 of the rounds, and Player B has won 2. During the 8th round Player A has his back tighten up and he is obviously throwing badly and in pain. If I use a Total Stroke scoring, this guy will drop to the bottom overall but if I use the scoring system grodney suggested above he takes a "1" on this last course and still wins overall. Fair? What are your thoughts?

I would just go with giving each player 2 points for each opponent beat each round, and 1 for each opponent tied. Maybe a bonus for being the best score that round.

Completely different suggestion: split into two teams of 4 and make it a team Ryder Cup style event. We did that with our 1st annual trip with 8 guys from Iowa and Texas when we met up in Tulsa last year. We did singles rounds, doubles rounds, and a round of team best shot to end it. We had to do the team event though because we had differing skill levels. It came down to the last team best shot round last year at the best course I've played, The Lodge - Island Course. It was a blast doing it that way. There were 9 total rounds from a Thursday evening to Saturday.

We always do total strokes but then subtract one stroke for every Shiner consumed.

Example from when we only counted 2 rounds of golf but 3 days of drinking:
Code:
Golf    Shiner    Total    Player
136    71    65    Neif
134    53    81    Bej
133    46    87    Fausch
147    58    89    Harvey
130    40    90    G
129    23    106    K
120    11    109    Clue
178    49    129    Jerms
175    34    141    JayR

jeesh... i hope ya'll took city transportation. :clap:

Completely different suggestion: split into two teams of 4 and make it a team Ryder Cup style event. We did that with our 1st annual trip with 8 guys from Iowa and Texas when we met up in Tulsa last year. We did singles rounds, doubles rounds, and a round of team best shot to end it. We had to do the team event though because we had differing skill levels. It came down to the last team best shot round last year at the best course I've played, The Lodge - Island Course. It was a blast doing it that way. There were 9 total rounds from a Thursday evening to Saturday.

Good thought as well.............