• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some disc advice

TheAWO

I'm looking to try out some new plastic this season. I've been playing dg for the past two summers and my drives are topping out at around 375-400 with my ESP Surges thrown with an S curve. Are there other discs I should try out to get more distance, or should I make the move to a hyzer flip (i've got a pretty beat sidewinder and I heard it's a good disc for that).

Also I'm looking for a new putter, I've been playing with this prob 10 year old rattler I got used from a friend, I'm a former ultimate player so I would like my putter to be pretty stable and fly similar to an ultrastar, any tips?

i would try a magnet or a challenger as a putter

Second! ^^ Although, I push the magnet way more, but that's just me.

As for drivers, Surge is not a bad one to be using to get distance out of. Honestly, I have a friend who can snap a Wraith to get it to S-line, but he caps out around the low 300's. With what you're throwing, the Surge that is, you probably have great snap, but just need to work on putting in a little more arm speed. One big question though: What weight Surges are you throwing? IF you want to do Hyze-flips, maybe finding a surge in a lighter weight wouldn't be too bad to hyze flip. Or if you are feeling REALLY gutsy, a 150/160's R-Pro Boss for hyze-flipping is just insane for some distance.

Or, you can just get a Katana and screw all the training/form stuff and add 20 feet to your drive easy- who knows.

If you're looking for max distance, it's going to depend on your power. An S-Curve up to 400 is pretty far, so I'll just assume you have the arm speed for the following discs:

Katana - It's been called a Sidewinder on steroids. It's high-speed understable enough that a 400' huck can flip it up, especially as it beats in. It's uber fast. It's my longest disc for hyzer flips.

DiscMania pD (Power Driver) - It's basically a super duper TeeBird. It's extremely controllable, but has some serious distance to it. It may be difficult for you to flip over until it beats in, but either way, it's a great disc.

The Avenger SS is also a great disc for learning the hyzer-flip, although it's not going to go nearly as far as a Katana. I keep my SS in my bag for a roller; once you get the hyzer-flip form down, you can try the form out with a different disc and keep the Avenger SS to learn rollers!

I'm looking to try out some new plastic this season. I've been playing dg for the past two summers and my drives are topping out at around 375-400 with my ESP Surges thrown with an S curve. Are there other discs I should try out to get more distance, or should I make the move to a hyzer flip (i've got a pretty beat sidewinder and I heard it's a good disc for that).

Also I'm looking for a new putter, I've been playing with this prob 10 year old rattler I got used from a friend, I'm a former ultimate player so I would like my putter to be pretty stable and fly similar to an ultrastar, any tips?
Hmm, 375-400 is solid D for most courses if it's accurate. If you want an all out bomber disc, I'd try a Pro Destroyer or something similar. For hyzer-flips I'd just beat in one of your Surges, they flip pretty well. If that doesn't suit you, try a Z Surge SS. SWs are good for hyzerflips but I doubt you'll get more D than with your Surges.

Putters are really personal, if you want something similar to an Ultrastar, I'd recommend an Ion or Voodoo b/c of the rounded rims or an APX/Reef for a dead nuts straight putter with tons of glide.

My max drive is probably 300' so I can't help you there. With your distance you can win on any course. Hit more lines and be more accurate.

As for putters I love the Wizard as do many others. Buy a SS and give it a try. I went form crappy putter to OK instantly. You just gotta know what your style is, and find a disc that fits your hand well, then go practice. I've also seen people that don't like a stable putter do really well with a Magic. Depends on your style. Voodoo, Aviar, Challenger, Magnet etc are all good too. That new Ion sounds good too. Good luck.

I'm at your same distance level. I can hit a controlled 375 with just about any driver (only difference is slower discs need more height). most faster discs are not going to add much more distance than your surge. I can't really speak for the new super discs like the Nuke/Katana etc. a Valkyrie is a good hyzer-flip disc. but discs like the SW and the Valk sometimes won't come back from the flip if they are too beat. your beat SW may be more of a roller now. a beat version of your favorite distance driver is usually a better choice for a hyzer flip disc.

as far as a putter i don't know what you're looking for. when I think stable putter I think KC Pro Aviar, Challenger and Wizard. but your definition of stable may be different. If you want a dead nuts straight putter I would go with a Magnet, APX, Pure, Aviar P&A, or a Summit. all of these will have a lot more drop than an Ultrastar. the Rattler will float more like a lid than any other putter. you may just want to try a brand new Rattler

Katana and nuke are really just longer for anyone. Katana has more left to right action while the nuke I use more for huge hyzer with tons of skip with it's huge rim.

As for putter I would have to say a voodoo with rounded edge. But it really is personal.

Has anyone ever seen someone good at putting with an ultrastar or ultimate disc.

The lighter weight Surge's hyzer-flip really well. I have 2 relatively new ESP Surge's, one 174g and the other is 166g. The 174g Surge is lightly overstable for me, as in it won't pop flat when thrown with a bit of hyzer. If I throw it flat and hard it will "S" a VERY little bit before fading strongly. My 166g Surge on the other hand is a hyzer-flip machine. I can't throw it with decent power without giving it hyzer or it will flip right and never come back. I can get some serious distance outta that baby on a hyzer-flip, and it goes far without having to throw it 100%. I'm sure a lighter weight version of what you already have will get you a little bit more distance.

There isn't a better putter than the Aviar, IMO. The DX flies very straight and Champ/Star is a little more stable. As for hyzer flip drivers.. Beast, Valkyrie, Leopard, TL.. I like those. Also new Monarchs, Sidewinders, and Roadrunners are good, but, with your distance, will end up continuing to turn right once beaten in.

Surge's will get out there. You might get a little more D switching to a Nuke (They're about the same stability) but honestly they work about the same for me.

As far as the putter goes, you should try an apx and a putt'r. I came from ultimate too, and those are the most similar I've found. Challengers and magnets are too overstable for what I wanted. They make great approach discs, but if you want a putter that flies like an ultrastar, you should go with one of the 0.0 stability ones.

As far a driver, I would try the new Nuke

As for putter, I say give the Soft Magnet a try. I love mine.