• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Never buying innova/discraft again

I'd say if you aren't getting paid, really no reason to throw one brand. I'm looking at you Team Trilogy.

Update:
... I had 10 discs. That's it! I used to carry 30. It was nice. ...

Eye-opening experience, eh?

I carry too many discs in my tournament ready-for-anything bag - 22 total. I've played some of my best rounds lately with a DX Stud, neutral KCP Roc, Star Leopard, Star Teebird and a Star Valkyrie.

Good results can be had by knowing each disc very well, not overthinking the subtle differences amongst a multitude of discs and then, just throwing the damned thing! ;)

I'd say if you aren't getting paid, really no reason to throw one brand. I'm looking at you Team Trilogy.

Ooohhhh! No he didn't just call out the trilogy. The "o yeah im on a disc golf team but I don't get paid, anything for free, or any type of help. A company let's me say I'm on their team if I buy all their products. No
there aren't even tryouts or needed qualifications" team!!!

Valkyrie is an Innova disc, better get rid of it, dude. Same goes for that Drone, as it is Discraft. You need an MVP Tensor and a Lightning #1 Driver as replacements.

Valkyrie is an Innova disc, better get rid of it, dude. Same goes for that Drone, as it is Discraft. You need an MVP Tensor and a Lightning #1 Driver as replacements.

Umm, no. Even guys with a bag full of MVP discs don't bag a tensor. I am not for sure how they sell enough to keep them on the market. Maybe they are all stock from the first run? Keep your Drone

Given the quick wear of their rim material, do you see that their discs wear in fast, or does it not matter. The fan boys claim there is no impact, but I find that hard to believe.

Yeah they do, but it's a little counter intuitive relative to almost all other plastics and I think that fools people. As everyone thinks of the process, most plastics you get an immediately strong change in early usage, and the effect continually diminishes with time.

With Vibram, they don't change at all for a period, and then at some point much later they start to tank really fast. It's this weird delayed effect and it messes up perception when you're expecting the effects of usage to show early.

I have a theory, and it is that the vibram rubber is "drying out" and while it's fresher it's more resilient, but as it ages it loses this property. So it's a factor primarily of time, rather than usage. If you know someone who has any Vibram discs that are old (a year or more), hold it and compare it to one that is new. It's a completely different feel. New is soft and tacky regardless of the firmness (soft/med/firm), old is dry and smooth. New snaps back when bent, old returns slower.

I think it is all model specific...I mean the two MOST consistent discs I have ever thrown:

Innova - Eagle-X mold (and don't whine about being hard to tell X from L, just run your finger along the rim)
Discraft - Elite Z Buzzz

Seriously bought 10-30 dx eagles and 5-10 Z buzzz's over the years and they were all the exact same in feel and flight when fresh. I would have no qualms ordering either over the internet and knowing exactly what will be arriving in my mail box.

Umm, no. Even guys with a bag full of MVP discs don't bag a tensor. I am not for sure how they sell enough to keep them on the market. Maybe they are all stock from the first run? Keep your Drone

TIL MVP makes a disc called a Tenser, but they spelled it wrong, and it doesn't float:thmbdown:

Vibram break in

I would agree that Vibram discs are tough for a time period and then they get stiffer and less stable very quickly after 8 to 12 months or so. I have a new Lace and a 2 year old one and the old one is a turnover tail wind bomber. Compared to the new one which is fairly stable and flies like a broke in boss.

My only experience with Vibram is an UnLace I found with no number. No idea how old it was when I found it but it's at least 2 years old now and still feels nice and rubbery. Nice for tailwind bombs but not a disc I keep in my bag. It seems like they wear out more due to exposure instead of hitting things on the course.

Dude, get a Roc. KC plastic or dx or both. They're really good. Get like 3 of em. Use the most understable one first and you're on your way to cycling Rocs.

Latest posts