• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Never buying innova/discraft again

AppleIdisc

I am totally switching to all vibram. Is vibram better. No. But innova plastic is just totally ridiculous now. You get a yellow one that's super over stable and a pink one that's under. The discs fly totally different from each other even with the same mold. In my 5 years of playing I probably bought 100+ discs. Maybe 70% of the time innova disc will fly like its rating.

I'm switching to vibram because of simplicity. One disc for each situation. I already started to switch and even though a lost a little distance going from a boss to a olace, I'm much happier because It is so simple choosing what disc to use and not having to test them out to see how they fly.

I am totally switching to all vibram. Is vibram better. No. But innova plastic is just totally ridiculous now. You get a yellow one that's super over stable and a pink one that's under. The discs fly totally different from each other even with the same mold. In my 5 years of playing I probably bought 100+ discs. Maybe 70% of the time innova disc will fly like its rating.

I'm switching to vibram because of simplicity. One disc for each situation. I already started to switch and even though a lost a little distance going from a boss to a olace, I'm much happier because It is so simple choosing what disc to use and not having to test them out to see how they fly.

Play with enough Vibram and the same thing will happen, even Innova as the biggest DG company is small potatoes in industrial plastics, they all have changes and variations to each run (MVP has a pretty good rep but remember they are the kids of a guy who owned a plastic company). Most who complain forget Innova does far and away more business than most of the other companies combined, even Discraft does no where near the production, you do that much your going to have the most x-outs and dud runs.

Cool, let us know how it works out for you.

Rubber has it's drawbacks also, and no injection molding is perfect.

Ha! I'm a Prodigy addict. You wanna talk inconsistency? ;)

Still love this damn plastic though... Discmania is slowly pulling me away and Reptilian keeps pumping out new discs, so I may escape one day.

I ended up switching to mostly trilogy for the same reason. Owned almost all innova, Had a few awesome innova discs and lost them, bought the same run, weight, plastic, and color, and didn't fly the same.

I ended up talking to one of their sales reps and he said they like it that way. Pros prefer to have a single mold and find a few that fly differently. That's nice for the pros, but I don't have the cash to try 15-20 of a mold to find 1 or 2 that I like. When I find something I enjoy I want to be able to replace it with the same thing. Every trilogy disc I have had to replace so far has flown exactly like its predecessor.

I ended up switching to mostly trilogy for the same reason. Owned almost all innova, Had a few awesome innova discs and lost them, bought the same run, weight, plastic, and color, and didn't fly the same.

I ended up talking to one of their sales reps and he said they like it that way. Pros prefer to have a single mold and find a few that fly differently. That's nice for the pros, but I don't have the cash to try 15-20 of a mold to find 1 or 2 that I like. When I find something I enjoy I want to be able to replace it with the same thing. Every trilogy disc I have had to replace so far has flown exactly like its predecessor.

Thanks Doug for sharing that. That's super useful information. I do like some trilogy discs. The claymore is the best midrange I ever threw hands down. I'll never change my putter either which is Trliogy (judge)

Some people like flat Rocs and others like a little dome, then others like both (like me).

Enjoy MVP, your decision will affect only one person.

Kinda sorta. Different colors do fly a bit differently. White tends to be beefier than orange. At least in the few molds that I throw of theirs.

Not to mention Opto Pures aren't nearly as HSS as the first runs (don't have nearly the same shoulder), Strikers are like Grooves they're so inconsistent, and Rivers are all over the map too. Three molds tried...three molds far from identical.

Not even MVP is close to perfect, and they're trying to get as close to it as possible.

Vibram is horrible material in that it just doesn't last, you'll figure that out eventually. Sure, brand new they're consistent, but I used to cycle 4 laces and even so they all wind up super flippy by the end of the summer, even if you microwave them.

If you want consistent, MVP is for you. They have their own issues (rim grip/selection, the "MVP roll away", holes in their disc line up), but everything from the way they're designed to the way they're manufactured is all about consistency. I have a few but generally it means more to me to get exactly the disc I want in a plastic that will be in the state I want once beat in, than a disc that's kinda sorta what I want but won't change as much over time or disc to disc.

The nature of the business is variability, it's the one thing that is consistent. To get consistency, you'd be paying $40 per disc. That would require that the discs manufacture process allow the discs to cool in a stable unchanging environment so that they were almost perfectly consistent. All your discs would be white too.

That said, I use the destroyer as my primary driver, and while there is variation, I've had no problem getting a full set of discs and many backups that fly exactly how I want them. Do I have plenty that don't fit my profile? Yes, but their flights are still within the scope of the disc per say. I tend to prefer colors that I know work or that have flight patterns that I want.

Vibram is horrible material in that it just doesn't last, you'll figure that out eventually. Sure, brand new they're consistent, but I used to cycle 4 laces and even so they all wind up super flippy by the end of the summer, even if you microwave them.

If you want consistent, MVP is for you. They have their own issues (rim grip/selection, the "MVP roll away", holes in their disc line up), but everything from the way they're designed to the way they're manufactured is all about consistency. I have a few but generally it means more to me to get exactly the disc I want in a plastic that will be in the state I want once beat in, than a disc that's kinda sorta what I want but won't change as much over time or disc to disc.

Given the quick wear of their rim material, do you see that their discs wear in fast, or does it not matter. The fan boys claim there is no impact, but I find that hard to believe.

For what it's worth, a while back my nephews and I were out on the course and found a Vibram fairway driver. You know how old tires look when they start getting that slick glaze on the surface and those tiny cracks? That's what this disc looked like. Also, it felt kind of slippery as well. I don't think Vibram ages well, but I don't actually throw any so...

Speaking as someone with a chemistry degree, I am very impressed with all of these companies for being able to make the quality of discs that they do, especially when they're at the mercy of their vendors for the source materials. IIRC, Mr. Dave Dunipace said that the quality and consistency of the source materials can vary greatly from batch to batch. Yes, I'd like to see perfection in consistency as well, but in the real world I'm impressed that they do as well as they do...

Dave from innova has said countless times that the only get a guarantee that he batch that they will be getting is of one lot. He actually went over it on the video AMA for CCDG.

Different colors also need to hit different temperatures to be homogeneous say black vs white. Those differences also mean that they will need different cooling times in the mold before it's released.

As for the ratings on the mold they are a ball park cause how the plastic cools and shrinks can change and the elevation can make the disc act differently as well. Kinda like the horse power on a car. You can buy a subaru BRZ that should have a 200hp motor you can remove the motor from the factory and test it and it could make 205hp at low elevation and another new one fresh from the factory could make 195hp at high altitude.

Another thing is the human element and time of year that the disc was molded(summer- winter).

And as disctildeath stated innova buys a lot of plastic but in the full scope innova is a drop in to ocean when it comes to buying base plastic. So innova has to work with what they get delivered and make due.