• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New course: Greencastle IN

crawdad62

Par Member
This will be my home course which is great since the closet are miles away. Honestly I haven't even checked it out. I'm pretty sure that it's only has 9 holes since that was alluded to in earlier articles (with the possibility of another 9 later). I'm going to head over later today and give it a round or two.

Hopefully I'll have a better grasp on it after today's rounds. But either way I'm happy we've got something. First the skatepark and now this. DG Course Greencastle

i'll have to try this....

do you have an address?

Big Walnut Sports Park

Okay I've actually played a round. It is indeed 9 holes. DGA Mach III's. Rubber tee boxes. Absolutely no signage. The holes really don't "flow" from one to another. When I went there was someone else playing and he was lost. I found 9 for him. He said he was just sort of making it up as he went. When I started I sort of did the same thing. Very confusing tee boxes.

Earlier reports said they were hiring a consultant and paying him some serious jack to design the course. I was really PO'ed when I played. I was not happy that what came out of a professional design was this. A couple of them are well past 700 ft. Not that I'm against it but you're not going to get people interested if it takes them 4+ throws just to get into scoring range. Holes 2 and 9 are in the woods. Hole 2 is basically impossible for any aces (at least with leaves on the trees but most likely always). Nine is decent although I bogy'ed it.

When I leaving (they do have a basket for practice putting) I met with a guy I know that's on the park board and asked about it. He said he knew it was long. Said it was way too long. I said I can't believe the guy set it up like that when there was plenty of nice natural challenges that could've been used albeit a smaller course. Well I guess they didn't use the guy so they saved themselves some money but in return sort of lost out a bit. I asked about signs and he said they didn't plan on any and I told him I'd be willing to make some. He was psyched about that and told me to talk to the park director. Now I'm sort of hooked:p

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth but as of now I wouldn't go out of your way to play it. Hopefully we can get some of its shortcomings straightened out.

Played the first five yesterday:

Signs are up, but no course-wide map. Signs do not make much sense, because they are not facing in the direction that they describe. Most signs are, in fact, perpendicular to the direction the holes are describing. Hole 5 is seven hundred plus feet a par six as marked by course signage (not very newbie friendly).

I will be playing tonight around five thirty to finish out the last couple of holes. Hopefully having a home course again will get my game back up to par (pun only slightly intended).

Anyone interested in fall league play, Wednesday nights?

Hey Dice. Yeah when I went out last Friday they had just placed the signs. Still a little confusing but at least you can find the tee that goes with the hole. It would be nice to have a course-wide overview. Maybe something we could add along with some scorecards for people. I'd really like people to utilize this so we'd have some ammo in getting an additional 9. I talked to the park director that night and he's interested in getting some tournaments and a club together.

Surprisingly I'm making a 4 or 5 on #5. I'm not good for much over 300' but I'm usually right past the mound to the left of the hole in 2. I'll usually be out around 5:00 or 6:00. If you see me give me a holler (I carry a cammo Crunch Bag).

Played it tonight, were you there with a young caddy? Was unsure. I was the large man in the Tie-Dye.

Really a pretty great little course. I am going to set up the course review page tonight.

I'll be playing Saturday for sure.

Yeah that was me. We'll have to play sometime. I played like poop tonight. My kid doesn't walk fast enough:p I kept having to wait on him and just didn't give my game much thought. I just got up and winged every shot. Only bright spot was #8. Drove right in front of the basket.

Latest posts