• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New course of the year?

Eman

If there were an annual new course of the year award in disc golf, what course do you think would win it for the last couple of years, and what announced/ in-development courses are early favorites for this year?

For context as a starting point, here are the top 3 courses by star rating for the last five years:

2021: 1. Eagles Crossing 2. The Hideaway 3. Faylor Lake
2020: 1. Airborn Preserve Timberwolf 2. Burbine Memorial Forest 3. Veterans Park
2019: 1. Jones Park - Gold 2. Felin Geri DGC 3. The Farm @ Quail Valley
2018: 1. Tampere Disc Golf Center 2. Wilderness Ranch 3. Persimmon Ridge DGC
2017: 1. SeaSide DGC 2. Fort Clark DGC 3. Lake Marshall - The Lions

For last year were there any new courses that could rival Eagles Crossing, or is it a runaway winner of the made-up new course of the year award?

Last edited:
If there were an annual new course of the year award in disc golf, what course do you think would win it for the last couple of years, and what announced/ in-development method are early favorites for this year?

For context as a starting point, here are the top 3 courses by star rating for the last five years:

2020: 1. Airborn Preserve Timberwolf 2. Burbine Memorial Forest 3. Veterans Park

For last year were there any new courses that could rival Eagles Crossing, or is it a runaway winner of the made-up new course of the year award?
There is a gold course going in about an hour west of Asheville, NC in Cherokee. Looks to be a phenomenal piece of property, with three top-notch designers working on the project. I think it will be finished by early summer,at the latest.

That is a lot of traveling to play those 15 courses. I have no idea how you did it in COVID times. My courses of the year would be very regional and restricted by my few road trips. Heck, the last couple years, I might have only picked up a couple handful of new courses, one of two of those being new. I'm sure nobody wants to hear about my top three new courses this year, in upper Michigan....none breaking the top 20 in my state. I'm lame.

*hangs head in shame

That is a lot of traveling to play those 15 courses. I have no idea how you did it in COVID times. My courses of the year would be very regional and restricted by my few road trips. Heck, the last couple years, I might have only picked up a couple handful of new courses, one of two of those being new. I'm sure nobody wants to hear about my top three new courses this year, in upper Michigan....none breaking the top 20 in my state. I'm lame.

*hangs head in shame
I did not see anything about him playing those courses. Did I miss something ?

I haven't played any of these courses. They are not my ranking in any way. They are just the top-ranked courses on browse course results sorted by founding year. Some of them only have a couple or only one review so they are not a great list I just gave it as a starting point.

Airborn Timberwolf when new would probably not be top 3. It had tour hype but was/is still raw and a bit too open relative to Cale's plans for enhancements. Not sure what other course for 2020. Maybe Caliber? Even though it's listed new in 2017, seems like 2020 was when it was far enough along to be considered fully developed? I think Caesar Ford in Xenia might be considered a top 3 new course in 2019.

Last edited:
Airborn Timberwolf when new would probably not be top 3. It had tour hype but was/is still raw and a bit too open relative to Cale's plans for enhancements. Not sure what other course for 2020. Maybe Caliber? Even though it's listed new in 2017, seems like 2020 was when it was far enough along to be considered fully developed? I think Caesar Ford in Xenia might be considered a top 3 new course in 2019.

That's a good point, Chuck. Many courses are open for play before they are finished, and take a few years to be completed. Picking the starting year for each course can be tricky.

That said, I would happily vote for Caliber in whatever year it qualifies.

Caliber for sure, in any year you want to slot it.

If there were an annual new course of the year award in disc golf, what course do you think would win it for the last couple of years, and what announced/ in-development courses are early favorites for this year?

I don't recognize a Houck course in that list. Am I missing something ?

Echo Valley was 2021. I've played it and Eagles and frankly prefer the former, but just barely. It would likely get top 5 status for 2021.

Echo Valley was 2021. I've played it and Eagles and frankly prefer the former, but just barely. It would likely get top 5 status for 2021.
I played Echo and Caesar on the same day with John Kirkland (PDGA#100). Caesar is more impressive with three well positioned concrete tees on each hole for red, white and blue skill levels. But I liked the feel and terrain a little better at Echo. Toss up.

Would Lake Marshall Lions be considered 2021 since it got the last 3 holes?

My bet for 2022 is Houck's Agape Farm, in PA, only about an hour from Faylor Lake which I have not been to yet.

I played Echo and Caesar on the same day with John Kirkland (PDGA#100). Caesar is more impressive with three well positioned concrete tees on each hole for red, white and blue skill levels. But I liked the feel and terrain a little better at Echo. Toss up.

I plan on doing the same thing in mid May (minus John lol). I'm pretty excited about it, moreso now after your take. That's what it felt like reading up on them. Pretty evenly excellent, but kind of split down the middle as to which one is better. Can't wait to decide for myself.

That's a good point, Chuck. Many courses are open for play before they are finished, and take a few years to be completed. Picking the starting year for each course can be tricky.

That said, I would happily vote for Caliber in whatever year it qualifies.

Lions for instance was not completed until last year.

Based on listings on this site (Extinct and active):

Top 3 courses per year by DGCR rating

1975 - Oak Grove
1976 - LaMirada, Dogwood Acres, Brahan Spring
1977 - Redstone Arsenal, Morley Field, N.E. Lions Park
1978 - Humboldt State U, Roscoe Ewing, Meeman-Shelby SP
1979 - West Park, Pattee Canyon, Riverside Park (Tulsa)
1980 - Flip, Highland Springs Reservoir, Sylmar
1981 - Lincoln Ridge - Sunset Park (Mandan, ND), Fountain Hills
1982 - Sinnissippi, Shady Oaks, Camp Tadmor
1983 - DeLa, Lucky 8, Keriakes
1984 - Fritz Park (Irving, TX), Langan Park - Original, Deming Park - North
1985 - Patoka Lake, Mississinewa SP, Belmont Park (Dayton, OH)
1986 - Rolling Hills, Cliff Stephens, Bill Frederick Park - Turkey Lake
1987 - Chautauqua City Park (Fairfield, IA), Waterloo Exchange Park, Columbia Park - River Country
1988 - Pyramids, Rocking JP Tick Ranch, Veteran's Park (Arlington, TX)
1989 - Jones Park - West, Oak Park (Wichita, KS), Seven Oaks Park
1990 - Seneca Creek SP, Kaposia Park, Sugar Bottom Rec. Area
1991 - Whistler's Bend (Old layout), Addison Oaks, Todd Park (Austin, MN)
1992 - Jordan Creek, Hippo Ridge, Hudson Mills - Original
1993 - Circle C, Mason County Park - Beast (Goliath and Beauty were 5 and 6 :eek:), Mt. Airy Forest
1994 - Tyler SP (Original), Sandy Point Resort DG Ranch, The Woodshed
1995 - McNaughton Park, Sioux Passage - Original, Patapsco Valley SP
1996 - Riverbend (Milo McIver) (Estacada, OR), Hudson Mills - Monster, The Blockhouse - Sunnyside
1997 - Water Works (KC MO), Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort, Hornet's Nest
1998 - Colorado Mountain College - Glenwood, Zephyr Cove, Bengal Ridge (Idaho State U)
1999 - Brakewell Steel, Bryant Lake, Circle R - Rolling Meadow
2000 - Idlewild, Whippin' Post, Giant's Ridge
2001 - Hawk Hollow, Solitude Mountain Resort, Dexter Park (Dexter, OR)
2002 - Bluegill, Maple Hill, Phantom Falls
2003 - Glacier Point, Nockamixon SP, Pier Park (Portland, OR)
2004 - HBH - Blueberry Hill, Moraine SP, Birds of Paradise
2005 - Sabattus - Eagle, Coyote Point, Sabattus - Hawk
2006 - Blue Ribbon Pines, Deer Lakes, Foundation Park (Centralia, IL)
2007 - Flyboy Aviation, Wildcat Bluff, Beaver Ranch - Main
2008 - Black Jack, Sugaree, Burde Ridge
2009 - Harmon Hills - Holler in the Hills, Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge
2010 - Bailey DGC (Bailey, CO), Barsness Park, Cherry Hill (Montgomery, VT)
2011 - Selah - Lakeside, Rollin' Ridge, Selah - Creekside
2012 - Sequoyah SP, Smuggler's Notch - Brewster Ridge, Bear Mountain (Bailey, CO)
2013 - Bucksnort, Trey Texas Ranch - Trey Deuce, Disc Side of Heaven
2014 - Coyote Trace, Mine Kill DGC, Lake Claiborne - Whitetail
2015 - Shining Mountain - The Beast, VisionQuest, Langley Pond
2016 - Harmony Bends, 501, Hobbs Farm
2017 - Fort Clark (Bracketville, TX), Lake Marshall - Lions, Caliber
2018 - Wilderness Ranch (Lakeside, AZ), Persimmon Ridge, Mayflower Hills
2019 - Jones Park - Gold, The Farm @ Quail Valley, Hanna Hills
2020 - Airborn - Timberwolf, Burbine Memorial Forest, Veterans Park (McLoud, OK)
2021 - Eagles Crossing, The Hideaway, Faylor Lake
2022 - 6 courses listed, only 1 review combined amongst them

Not sure where OP got his course data, but I could not find listings for SeaSide, Tampere, or Felin Geri on DGCR

Not sure where OP got his course data, but I could not find listings for SeaSide, Tampere, or Felin Geri on DGCR

You'd have to broaden your search to include courses outside of the US. All three are indeed on DGCR, and are in S Korea, Finland, and the UK respectively. Not sure if SeaSide should really count, being only 12 holes and a largely unhelpful review.

Thanks for compiling all of that!

Felin Geri is in deepest darkest West Wales and will host the Welsh Open in April/May this year, the first stop of the European Pro Tour X if anyone fancies a trip.

It might be pushing it a bit to get on this list as the rating was based on one review (mine) as nobody else in this god forsaken country ever bothers reviewing stuff. (That's not entirely true actually, I met up with Jillian yesterday who is adding some very good reviews to the site and now on the way to getting his first course install under his belt!)

UDisc ratings have it at comfortably over 4.8 and it was at 5 star up to about 30 ratings in 2019 whilst still only a 12 hole course so it is possibly worthy. It is a beautiful place. With some longer tee tweaks it has the potential for a Gold level layout but currently a tough blue on the 18 we are playing (980 ish to par is expected without much in the way of artificial OB/Mando's) There are different tee layouts and the hillside course is a fitness challenge of itself.