• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] New fairways - Notch, Arch

From Steve Dodge's comments, it doesn't sound like the Valley will make it to regular production. They couldn't produce it in weights greater than 150's because of too much flashing/waste. Sounds like the Valley you threw was more stable than most. I occasionally was able to get it to land left but 9/10 throws were turning right and not coming back.

Wow!!!!! i need to get a hold of a Valley but i doubt i can get one. :thmbdown::thmbdown:

Got my Notch in today and just got back from two rounds with it. It's here guys. While certainly not faf Firebird stable, this disc flew almost exactly like a slightly domey Star Firebird I have bagged. Note, I throw 300-350 feet (BH, FHs almost that far now). Threw it on a variety of lines and into different winds (10-15 mph today). Reliably OS. Great HSS, solid dump.

This is a winner.

My thoughts on the Notch from the Vibram page. Excited to get out today and test it, sustained 30 mph winds and I'm playing a course next to the highway and cornfields, basically a wide open field.

got the Notch out into some sustained 20-30 mph winds today. This thing is beeftastic. Always held a stable line and faded hard into a headwind, BH and FH. Compared it to my Star Firebird and handled headwinds and crosswinds just the same. Didn't penetrate quite as well as the Bird, as the wing is a little blunter, but that only translated into maybe 10' less into a headwind.

Really liking the Notch... So pumped to get my Arch and test that bad boy out.

From Steve Dodge's comments, it doesn't sound like the Valley will make it to regular production. They couldn't produce it in weights greater than 150's because of too much flashing/waste. Sounds like the Valley you threw was more stable than most. I occasionally was able to get it to land left but 9/10 throws were turning right and not coming back.

A modified Valley has been submitted to the PDGA for approval. Hoping it has the same type of flight path and can mold up a little heavier.

I have a Valley proto I could maybe be talked out of, but I'd want a good chunk of change or some nice discs in return

Got my Arch yesterday. Going to wait on a full review as my first round with it came after running a 5k and the 18 holes and my round today was quite rainy.

I will say my preliminary flight ratings though:

8/3.5/0/3

Got my Arch yesterday. Going to wait on a full review as my first round with it came after running a 5k and the 18 holes and my round today was quite rainy.

I will say my preliminary flight ratings though:

8/3.5/0/3

A lot of newer players are excited for the Arch, but haven't heard a lot of excitement for the Notch. Experienced players have settled elsewhere with the overstable fairway slot it seems, but I think the tides are changing and there'll be more excitement going forward for Vibram (vee-bram) disc golf. :popcorn:

I know Im far more excited for the Arch. The Notch can have a spot but I rarely, if ever, have a need for something crazy OS.

It's plenty OS but not stupid OS like a FAF champ firebird. A little slower and a little more workable.

The only thing that may hurt the Notch is the lack of skip in Medium, but the firm should have more.

It's plenty OS but not stupid OS like a FAF champ firebird. A little slower and a little more workable.

The only thing that may hurt the Notch is the lack of skip in Medium, but the firm should have more.

I agree, I love throwing it on flex lines. There's never any doubt that it will fight out of the anny, but it glides through every angle.

I wish someone could explain to me Mr. Dodge's description of the Notch/Arch as in between a mid-range and a distance driver... doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but then again he's probably not trying to reveal too much information this early in the process. He also doesn't want to compare the new discs to existing molds, which is terrible for selling the new discs.

On another note: I've heard a lot of people bad mouth the Ascent, as not being overstable enough... sometimes that's what you need is a stable flier to turn over, or to hold a different line. Also, I've heard a lot of good reviews of the Ascent from newer players, because the Ascent will beat-in to glide-y. My experience is that the Ascent is a very workable, control driver. Great for learning forehands and backhands...

I wish someone could explain to me Mr. Dodge's description of the Notch/Arch as in between a mid-range and a distance driver... doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but then again he's probably not trying to reveal too much information this early in the process. He also doesn't want to compare the new discs to existing molds, which is terrible for selling the new discs.

On another note: I've heard a lot of people bad mouth the Ascent, as not being overstable enough... sometimes that's what you need is a stable flier to turn over, or to hold a different line. Also, I've heard a lot of good reviews of the Ascent from newer players, because the Ascent will beat-in to glide-y. My experience is that the Ascent is a very workable, control driver. Great for learning forehands and backhands...

Don't need to convince me - my Ascent is a very trustworthy OS fairway deiver.

I think most complaints with the Ascent are due to inconsistencies from disc to disc. Some are overstable and others quickly turn flippy. I would say that a good Ascent is pretty close to an Eagle. The Arch is closer to a Teebird.

I think most complaints with the Ascent are due to inconsistencies from disc to disc. Some are overstable and others quickly turn flippy. I would say that a good Ascent is pretty close to an Eagle. The Arch is closer to a Teebird.

Thank you for your responses! I've been looking into this further, and there are the big number Ascents and small number Ascents. The small number Ascents are more overstable?

Also, I've compared my Ascents using PLH, and I've found that the flippier, glide-ier Ascents tend to have a lower PLH, which has proven true with other molds.

The discussion of the Ascent is an interesting one for me, because I'm wondering if they're going to make changes to the Ascent and/or how it's produced, so that it's more consistent across the board. As most of you may know already, the Trak/Ascent are not available as part of the birdie bash, much to the chagrin of many people who would've selected these molds. There might be other reasons why the Ascent/Trak aren't available for the birdie bashes, but we can only speculate, at this point... I'm probably way out-of-line, but I will leave to someone on here to set me straight. :popcorn:

Thank you for your responses! I've been looking into this further, and there are the big number Ascents and small number Ascents. The small number Ascents are more overstable?

There general consensus of Ascent stability is as follows:

Most stable to least stable: Big Number, Small number w/ a 1, small number

Firmness of the disc is also taken into consideration, with soft being the most stable, and firm being the least, with medium in the middle. Therefore, a big number soft Ascent should be the most stable version of the 9 Ascent options, while the small number firm Ascent should be the least. (Especially over time as the disc beats in).

I do not think there have been comparisons between big number firms vs. small number softs, or other combinations like that to give an exact order from most stable to least through out all tooling/firmness combinations.

There general consensus of Ascent stability is as follows:

Most stable to least stable: Big Number, Small number w/ a 1, small number

Firmness of the disc is also taken into consideration, with soft being the most stable, and firm being the least, with medium in the middle. Therefore, a big number soft Ascent should be the most stable version of the 9 Ascent options, while the small number firm Ascent should be the least. (Especially over time as the disc beats in).

I do not think there have been comparisons between big number firms vs. small number softs, or other combinations like that to give an exact order from most stable to least through out all tooling/firmness combinations.

Great information! This has been consistent with my experience, as well! A quick way to check on stability with Ascents is to use the PLH. Higher PLHs tend to be more overstable, whereas a lower PLH is more understable. But I will certainly try to remember that so I can check stabilities on the fly when I am disc shopping. :)

Bump.

Any other thoughts on the Arch?

I'm not really decided on it... Seems fairly speed and nose angle sensitive. Haven't quite clicked yet, a little more OS than I was expecting (but Vibrams seem to have a fairly quick initial break in where they lose a little stability and then sit there for a long time... Still waiting on that), but I see potential.

Latest posts