• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] New fairways - Notch, Arch

I totally understand this, and have used simplicity as my own guideline as I've built my bag. Interestingly, though, I've been drawn to expand things a bit and integrate more niche discs in recent months as my game has taken the next step. I still throw 3-4 molds for the vast majority of my shots, but I'm also increasingly becoming interested in specialized discs that make certain common shots much easier: the Proxy for short range tunnel shots, for example, with its awesome HSS and true zero fade, or the Soft VP which I approach with whenever possible. As my skills have expanded, I've (perhaps paradoxically) been increasingly drawn to expanding my bag to make sure that all my lines are truly covered and that I have as rich a repertoire of possibilities as possible without spreading myself too thin with too many molds. I think it's a balance, and I'm more or less happy with the one I've struck, though it's been good to test the waters a bit on adding molds rather than just replacing them.

I also think that the fact that I try to play a lot of different courses adds to the need to have a deeper bag. I once heard someone who carries a lot of molds say that they need to prepare for unforeseen circumstances because they play a lot of courses. That stuck with me. I've certainly seen that one of the benefits of playing new courses is they force you out of your comfort zone: for example, last month I played a much more wooded and hilly course than my home one (Bogue Chitto), and found myself leaning on the understable side of my bag much more than usual owing to all the uphill drives I faced. It was interesting to drive half the holes with a disc that usually sees a more specialized work load, and it made me reassess its use on other shots.

Just some thoughts. Like you said, different strokes. :thmbup:

Yeah, I definitely appreciate your input on this subject. I don't play enough courses to get stretched in my game, but I'll usually play the same hole 3-4 different ways within a matter of a month or so. Feels good to hone your technique, and not worry about buying a bunch of different molds from different manufacturers. Each manufacturer has its down-fall, in my opinion, and Vibram seems to have the setback of not releasing a bunch of molds, like Dynamic, MVP/Axiom, or Prodigy, etc. Having said that, the Lace was once the longest/straightest disc on the market, and the Trak is a top-rated fairway driver by InfiniteDiscs.com. Quality has always been there, but a lot of folks have taken issue with the consistency of Vibram. I haven't found any consistency issues, but I'd imagine those issues are more apparent with a more advanced skill level. I'd still consider myself to be an lower-intermediate player.

These molds are going to be great! However I heard a rumor that Vibram would stop making either the Ascent or the Trak... needless to say, I'd be pretty disappointed if I couldn't get a new Ascent and/or Trak. These two molds are very, very beginner friendly. I think the Notch/Arch are more for advanced players looking to flesh out their line-up.

Hopefully people will be get over the slow-releases from Vibram, because pretty soon they'll have a full line-up, and it'll be pretty solid, with the quality product that Vibram puts out, but we'll see...

Just got a Notch in the mail. The letter said to expect another disc within a week or two. Can't wait to try it!

Played a tourney yesterday and needed an OS fairway badly. Hope the notch will hit that mark.

The PLH scale quoted above definitely puts this into decently overstable territory. In the 1.8-cm. rim category, looks like the Banshee, F1, and FD2 are the most OS. Wonder if the Notch is in that realm or less OS.

Vibram's inability to fill out their line up is their own purgative, but I think it hurts them more than it helps. They can't have their molds at bare bones if the rubber available can't flesh out the gaps between those molds. The amount of time it takes to cycle their discs to fill missing slots defiantly makes for an unsavory prospect. When Vibram pumps out some new discs it's always a good thing!

I got a chance to throw the Notch a few times today. I think it will round out the top of their fairway lineup perfectly. It has more HSS stability than the Ascent but the low speed fade wasn't as hard. On the Innova scale, I would rate it 8 5 0 3. It held a hyzer line into a 15 mph headwind where the Ascent was flipping up before fading out. On flex shots, it fights reliably out of the anny line but has a nice foward fade. I think the FD2 is probably a good comparison or possibly a super beefy Teebird.

I got a chance to throw the Notch a few times today. I think it will round out the top of their fairway lineup perfectly. It has more HSS stability than the Ascent but the low speed fade wasn't as hard. On the Innova scale, I would rate it 8 5 0 3. It held a hyzer line into a 15 mph headwind where the Ascent was flipping up before fading out. On flex shots, it fights reliably out of the anny line but has a nice foward fade. I think the FD2 is probably a good comparison or possibly a super beefy Teebird.

Sounds pretty solid. Get any skip with the X-link or just hit and stick?

Sounds pretty solid. Get any skip with the X-link or just hit and stick?

That's been my worry with an overstable Vibram fairway. I feel like that low skip shot is an integral one to have for my overstable drivers.

I don't recall much skip. The grass was pretty wet though. I need to find some dry ground and throw a few low lines to see what it can do in that regard.

I got a chance to throw both the Notch and the Arch extensively over the weekend at the Birdie Bash in Houston. Both are great discs. I have some Vibram in my bag already. I've been a long time fan of the Trak. It's been a staple in my bag for a while. Recently I replaced the Buzzz in my bag with an Ibex, and I'm in the process of working the Obex in as well.

Chances are good that both the Notch and the Arch could find a place in my bag as soon as they are released. The Notch looks to be a great addition to the Vibram lineup as the overstable fairway people have been hoping for. I think it compares somewhat favorablely to something like a Predator or Firebird, although for bigger skips you'd probably want to get a Firm mold. Still, I was able to get some pretty decent skips with the Medium. Vibrams are so grippy that it felt very comfortable in the hand. Plenty of controllable beef and a very manageable rim. (compared to, for example, the gigantic rims on a Solace)

The Arch, however, I think I liked even MORE. For me, the Arch is everything that the Ascent should have been. (I have personally never been a huge fan of the Ascent, I strongly prefer Eagles instead) The Arch felt like the perfect fairway driver to me. Very straight and stable, and took power pretty well. I wish I'd have had some other discs to do a direct comparison to with me, but off the top of my head I think I would compare the Arch to a Saint, but with Vibram grippiness. But the cool thing is, I don't think I accidentally flipped the Arch a single time while I got to throw it. (and I probably got to throw it close to 20 times) It was able to fly on a great, slight s-curve path at multiple levels of power. There were several newer players who were also gushing about it, so I think the Arch is going to be a big hit for Vibram. Really excited to get my hands on one of my own.

:clap:

They aren't making those available for Birdie Bashes, are they?

No, the TD of our Birdie Bash was Chase Hayden, who is sponsored by Vibram and on the test team, so he was letting everyone test them out.

I got a chance to throw both the Notch and the Arch extensively over the weekend at the Birdie Bash in Houston. Both are great discs. I have some Vibram in my bag already. I've been a long time fan of the Trak. It's been a staple in my bag for a while. Recently I replaced the Buzzz in my bag with an Ibex, and I'm in the process of working the Obex in as well.

Chances are good that both the Notch and the Arch could find a place in my bag as soon as they are released. The Notch looks to be a great addition to the Vibram lineup as the overstable fairway people have been hoping for. I think it compares somewhat favorablely to something like a Predator or Firebird, although for bigger skips you'd probably want to get a Firm mold. Still, I was able to get some pretty decent skips with the Medium. Vibrams are so grippy that it felt very comfortable in the hand. Plenty of controllable beef and a very manageable rim. (compared to, for example, the gigantic rims on a Solace)

The Arch, however, I think I liked even MORE. For me, the Arch is everything that the Ascent should have been. (I have personally never been a huge fan of the Ascent, I strongly prefer Eagles instead) The Arch felt like the perfect fairway driver to me. Very straight and stable, and took power pretty well. I wish I'd have had some other discs to do a direct comparison to with me, but off the top of my head I think I would compare the Arch to a Saint, but with Vibram grippiness. But the cool thing is, I don't think I accidentally flipped the Arch a single time while I got to throw it. (and I probably got to throw it close to 20 times) It was able to fly on a great, slight s-curve path at multiple levels of power. There were several newer players who were also gushing about it, so I think the Arch is going to be a big hit for Vibram. Really excited to get my hands on one of my own.

:clap:
I'm pretty jazzed to hear all of this! My bag is mostly Vibram (Ridges, VP, Ibexes, Trak, Ascent) with a Firebird thrown in for overhands and utility. Just this last weekend I got a DD Escape at a 2-disc challenge and loved it. It seems a lot like Saints I've thrown. The Escape immediately became my distance driver. I'm not set on being all-Vibram, but I'm sure willing to give the Notch and Arch an opportunity to replace my Firebird and Escape.

I played a tournament with 97% Vibram for the first time Saturday and did well. Just have a Trident, Mace and Pain in the bag for OS mids/utility to go with the soft Obex. Still, had to work hard to bridge that OS fairway hole. A decent US fairway would have helped a very little as well. Hopefully these two new ones will help that along. OS fairway would have saved me at least 3 strokes on a missed mando when my Ascent didn't turn at all.:wall:

I played a tournament with 97% Vibram for the first time Saturday and did well. Just have a Trident, Mace and Pain in the bag for OS mids/utility to go with the soft Obex. Still, had to work hard to bridge that OS fairway hole. A decent US fairway would have helped a very little as well. Hopefully these two new ones will help that along. OS fairway would have saved me at least 3 strokes on a missed mando when my Ascent didn't turn at all.:wall:

They are coming out with the Valley, which will fit the understable fairway. I threw a Valley about 3 weeks ago. it was only 150 class, mainly cause it was a proto but put a nice hyzer on the drive. it flipped up flat. if thrown flat the Valley will give a nice S curve and hopefully beat in to finishing right. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

They are coming out with the Valley, which will fit the understable fairway. I threw a Valley about 3 weeks ago. it was only 150 class, mainly cause it was a proto but put a nice hyzer on the drive. it flipped up flat. if thrown flat the Valley will give a nice S curve and hopefully beat in to finishing right. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

From Steve Dodge's comments, it doesn't sound like the Valley will make it to regular production. They couldn't produce it in weights greater than 150's because of too much flashing/waste. Sounds like the Valley you threw was more stable than most. I occasionally was able to get it to land left but 9/10 throws were turning right and not coming back.