• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New form critique

Nuke

Birdie Member
Okay guys, I don't know if you remember but I've been getting some help off and on here recently. Well, I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable with my driving. Distance isn't improving rapidly, but my aim is more fluidity and consistency, and to cut out some major flaws, then I want to start fine tuning and pushing out some better distances. Here's a vid and a few stills, be as brutally honest as you'd like.

and the stills, trying to show the reach back, getting as close to the right pec as I can, and the pivot/follow through.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 63
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 65
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 56
It still looks like you are trying too hard, too early to muscle with your arm. Cut the fancy footwork out for a while, slow the in motion down, let your elbow be relaxed and use the rotation of your hips, core, and shoulders, to whip your forearm through the out motion once the disc gets up to the power zone. You are still missing the fundamental difference between strong arming and the multi stage launch that generates effortless power.

As said above, you're still strongarming it. Your hips are following your arm, and it should be the other way around. You have to find the point where you lead with your hips but still snap your arm from the right pec. :thmbup:

Thanks for the feedback guys. When you say cut the fancy footwork, are you saying get rid of the x-step all together or am I doing something more complicated that I need to cut out? And another question, am I reaching out too far with my lead leg? On that reach back photo, I just feel like I might be too far out in front with my pivot foot. I know it's not the most important part of the throw, just wondering.

It's really impossible to tell. That depends on flexibility, strength, and the shape of your body. When I say cut the fancy footwork I mean you need to completely forget about everything except what's happening right at the end of your shot.

You would benefit from working on standstills or one steps. Your footwork and reach back are just messing up your timing. You get your weight forward too soon and your body starts to open up way before your elbow gets out in front of you. You really need to get your elbow out and stopped, with the angle collapsed as far as possible with the disc by your right pec, before you apply any strength to the shot at all.

Ahh, okay. That makes sense. Everything should be calm and relaxed up until sometime around the second photo? Keep the disc inline and on plane until my elbow gets more in front of my body with the disc at the right pec and then snap?

First, the disc's flight looks pretty good. If you can reproduce that throw consistently it's probably sufficient to compete at the novice level. if any of the above is untrue, see below :p

I'm suspecting the throw in the video doesn't happen too often and the normal throw is a turn-and-burn from over torquing. yer feet are very far apart from each other which can make weight transfer harder and off sync with your throw. You may get faster hip rotation if your feet were closer together ,and your arm would pull closer and straighter more consistently if your left leg didn't have to travel/swing so far. The good news is, the leg swing exhibits how much power you do have in your torso. So my advice would be to forget throwing the disc at 95%+ power and work with lighter drivers (165 or less) to increase speed.... twitchy speed.... not flexing muscles.

for what it's worth, i was in the same boat as you the end of last summer (roughly 10 months into my DG career). Got rid of my heavy weights and have been working on speed and fluidity with 165's. It has helped tremendously with accuracy and consistency issues.

Someone on DGR had an example of the feeling in your elbow that I liked. Imagine doing the robot where you extend your elbow out to your side and just let your forearm dangle, swinging back and forth. That's how your arm should feel when the disc get's up to the power zone. It's completely relaxed, free to swing open super fast when your hips and shoulders open up. Your wrist should feel similar. You really don't put any power on the disc with your arm or grip it hard until the last 6-12 inches of the throw.

You shouldn't even be focusing on keeping the disc inline or on plane at this point. You are exclusively looking for the feel and the timing. Your release point will move, you will probably have to adjust your aim 20 degrees once you get the right timing, and all your discs will fly differently if you develop better snap.

Looks alot like what i do on my vid.

I didnt know you were supposed to keep your arm like jello during the pull. (as of a few days ago anyway)

So with only hip and shoulder rotation you can automatically position the disc to your right peck merely by the twisting motion/rotation right?

The only muscle really being used in the arm would be your shoulder keeping the arm on the right plane.

Am i on the right track with any of this?

So with only hip and shoulder rotation you can automatically position the disc to your right peck merely by the twisting motion/rotation right?
The only muscle really being used in the arm would be your shoulder keeping the arm on the right plane.

Yeah, I'm not so sure on this myself. For me, I have to use "some" arm motion to guide the disc into my right pec area, then from there I let my hip/torso/shoulder pull the arm through the hit. If I simply keep my arm loose in a full reach back position and use only hip/shoulder rotation, the disc only gets to the left side of my torso/left pec before my elbow wants to start extending. This prevents my right elbow from reallly get out in front, and probably limiting the amount of elbow extension I can produce.

What I see is your timing is off a bit. You're releasing from your reach back early, before you plant your pivot foot. You want to have full extension on your reach back as you shift your weight onto your pivot foot.

I have that exact same shirt. My suggestion is dump it. I had no luck with it, and the black faded after a few rounds. Go with something more outdoorsy and less like your going on a date after a trip to Old Navy. Again, I have that same shirt, and when I decided to wear a diff. one, it added 20' to my drive.

I have that exact same shirt. My suggestion is dump it. I had no luck with it, and the black faded after a few rounds. Go with something more outdoorsy and less like your going on a date after a trip to Old Navy. Again, I have that same shirt, and when I decided to wear a diff. one, it added 20' to my drive.

Well, I was on my lunch break at work, but thanks for your genius feedback, I'll get right on that. :gross:

Latest posts