• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New Gummier Star Plastic?

okiebullgod

Eagle Member
Along the lines of the discussion on special blend Katanas that is also on here, I wondered if anyone else has noticed new star plastic being somewhat gummier than it used to be. I've noticed it more on certain colors too, like the navy blue star, but on others as well. If it's a little different than it was, I love it. Maybe it's just me. Has anybody else noticed the same since October or so?

New champ is so it would stand to reason.

My wifes newest BS 2x Champ Leopard is like candy pro.

Along the lines of the discussion on special blend Katanas that is also on here, I wondered if anyone else has noticed new star plastic being somewhat gummier than it used to be. I've noticed it more on certain colors too, like the navy blue star, but on others as well. If it's a little different than it was, I love it. Maybe it's just me. Has anybody else noticed the same since October or so?

I have a prototype star mako and a first run star mako and the first run star plastic seems much gummier than the prototype.

Yep, the Star Dart I bought is excessively gummy.

My red star dart was super gummy, like flx plastic, my blue san marino star roc was not quite as gummy, but more so than regular star plastic. Other than that, my new star boss, tl and destroyer seem normal.

My star dart is also very gummy. I've switched to using the star dart for approach shots and r-pro dart for putts.

I'm pretty sure they intentionally ran the dart in an extra gummy star so I'm not sure comparisons should be made to other molds.

The two that stood out to me origionally were a Mako and a TL that were soft. I've also seen the Star Darts that were really gummy. But I've also seen/held new star Mako's and TL's that were harder like they've always been. I wondered if it had to do with the color of the blend or a specific run, or if Innova is changing the composition of the plastic. Either way, I like it. I've also found Eco Star Plastic to be domier than regular star on destroyers (which I like)

bought a star katana today...
i cant say that it's "gummy" per se, but i can say that its not has hard. its orange/cantaloupe... i had star boss in the beginning days that had the same color and felt the same. It did get beat up quickly like a pro....But my most recent boss was in the hard star plastic.

i am wondering (out loud) if they have a tendency to make the first run of any new disc a little bit less rigid to help boost consistency. Adding rigidness to the disc might change the flight characteristics enough that it take a bit of experimentation to get it right.

its funny, but after i bought it, i had to double check to make sure that i didnt accidentally pick up a pro (thats how it felt).

I'm pretty sure they intentionally ran the dart in an extra gummy star

I was told this exactly by an Innova employee...said they made a special blend that was softer b/c it was a putter. Until i asked him i thought i had a freaky soft one!!

I got the second run Champ Katana, and it is much gummier than any other champion disc i have, i really like it...havent thrown it yet, want to wait for some warmer weather so i actually get a decent first throw with it

Here's an example. The first pic is a brand new TL, and the second is a really seasoned Teebird. The flexibility is for sure noticeable.
tl.jpg

teeb.jpg

I was told this exactly by an Innova employee...said they made a special blend that was softer b/c it was a putter. Until i asked him i thought i had a freaky soft one!!

I'm a big fan of it, I hope they keep using it for any future putters they release in star.