• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New guy in Kansas

Mr889

Hello everyone! My name is Ed and live in Derby Ks. I just started disc golf in September of this year. I started disc golf because I was looking for something to help get some exercise and be fun at the same time. (I am turning 50 this year) I talked my wife into going to Play It Again Sports and buy a couple discs and see what it was like. I thought we would walk in grab a couple discs and go play. An hour later we were still in the store trying to learn all about discs. I was completely blown away by all of the different disc types. We finally bought a couple putters and a mid range. We headed to a small 9 hole course to try it out. My distance was bad - maybe 125 feet if I was lucky but that was all it took- I was hooked!
Now 2 months later and countless hrs of watching videos, buying discs, and heading to any field I can find to go throw- my distance and form has improved. I still have not played 18 holes at one time yet. I play with my daughters a few holes here and there and the family has played 9 together.
I just love everything about disc golf that I feel like I want to tell everyone how great it is! I just joined the PDGA and hope to play in a tournament next year.

Now that is MY definition of 'Growing the Sport'. Well done. :thmbup:

I am close to you in age and though my wife still hasn't gotten the DG 'bug' that I got about six months ago, our adult kids and grand kids love to toss discs on our acre of wooded property whenever they come over. Last time out, we had 5 twenty-somethings and another five under twenties firing discs at two practice baskets and each other.

I love to see generational gaps playing DG. :clap:

Welcome from NC! We are similar in some ways. I have been playing less than a year and turn 50 next year! Got into disc golf because tennis a couple times a week was taking way too much of a toll on my knees. I plan (hope) to play disc golf for a long time.

Welcome from Oklahoma! Enjoy the addiction. Too bad it's just starting to get cold enough to be less enjoyable. On the bright side, the courses will be less busy.

Derby...around Wichita? If you make it up to KC, I'd be happy to throw a round or two. Most of the folks I throw with are novices.

welcome! I'm your age and been playing a little over a year up here in Lincoln, NE. if you're in the area, there are some nice courses up here!

Welcome from Upper Michigan!
I am now 52 years old and have been playing for about 10 years. I got my 3 kids playing...good family fun and exercise.

Yes it is great family fun. My wife is not hooked like I am but she is trying at least. She thinks I am a little obsessed. My girls are pretty young and think it is pretty fun! I have yet to play with someone other than family - hopefully soon.