• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] new innova dx plastic

dreadlock86

course bagger
Diamond level trusted reviewer
not that this should be a big surprise to anyone but i've notice the latest runs of dx plastic to be very different from others.

of course, the old guys here will talk about how much better the old dx plastic was. but just comparing dx plastic i've seen on the shelf this year compared to last year, i think there is a huge decline in quality.

i was just at a second hand sports store here in denton, tx and in addition to used discs they also stock lots of new innova and some new discraft, lat64 and ching stuff. the guy who runs the place said that most of the new stock was just ordered and just received. the new innova dx stuff looks a little shinier and feels like r-pro. also, there are lots of visible inconsistencies, ie little swirls or random whitish lines.

anyone else notice this in the latest run of dx plastic?

havnt thrown dx plastic since the candy stuff came out. sry doot. maybe youre just becoming one of those old guys. :p

I thought it was nicer feeling and more flexible...haven't bought any of the crap but it felt good. ;)

In the meantime Discraft's Pro-D (their DX equivalent) has gotten better IMO... hmmmm

Whaaa? Like the focus in D....dang thing looked like it played the Vietnam Open after 2 ace race rounds.

DX (and D and Champ and Z, etc) changes a lot. Expect it to happen at least once a year.

I noticed that the only comments were on how it feels and looks. How do the discs fly and beat? IMO, that's a much better guage of the quality of the plastic considering look and feel does not contribute to score or distance.

I haven't bought DX since my last batch of gazelles....this was pre flexy DX so no clue...I can tell you the batch before the current one has the durability of diarhea.

I just can't bring myself to buy a new DX plastic disc. It just feels cheap and wont take the hits. Durability issues? Possibly. I will read more on this thread before I buy any. Why does Innova change this so much? Leave the original DX as is.

I'm one of those old guys that likes DX plastic discs. I've bought 4 recently and they don't have the mentioned issues. The plastic is different than the old days but does not necessarily mean it is cheaper or inferior. Some of my newer DX discs, DX Destroyer for example is made from very stiff plastic. Still stable. More durable than say the first run DX T-Bird I have or some DX Vipers from back in the early 90s.

Back in the day, when there was only DX, discs like the Roc were a must because it could take a lot of damage compared to other discs. Good disc for wooded courses. The sharper edged discs, like the eclipse or the stingray would fold too easily after hitting a tree so a newer plastic with better shape memory was needed to keep making faster and faster discs.

I would not suggest for newer players to purchase DX or Pro D drivers but maybe give them a chance in midranges or putters. But, if you play a course that is more open then purchasing some DX drivers is not too bad of an option. And, if you are purchasing DX drivers because your "workin' them in" then you already know how good they can be.

Here's my non-disc 2 cents on plastics. I have been in the wire and cable industry for over 15 years. We use plastic for insulations and jackets on everything we make. Including cables for fire alarm systems, power plants (including nuke) and every other conceiveable life/safety application you can think of. We have a UL guy in our plant almost full time. He has the alarm code and can come and go as he pleases. And WE have a tough time getting our plastic vendors to be consistent and send us the compounds they are supposed to send. We have to QC and double QC everything. And they still change their compounds on us once in a while. Without notice. How easy do you think it is for a disc company to control the quality and consistency of their plastic? Come on, it's a cheap recreational product. On top of that every time you see gas prices goes up or the US$ go down the price of those plastics increase. Not to mention any weather (Hurricane's) that hit the Gulf region and all the petro-chemical plants. On top of all that you get into Fed Gov't Regualtions that change, and force companies to alter their plastic compounds. Most companies have (or should) try to become RoHS comlpiant and remove virtually all lead form their plastics. It's a good thing, but it drives up costs and changes the compounds. Not Innova, Discrafts, Latitude's or anyone else's fault. On top of all that sh*t there are tons of local and state regualtions where ever a plant is located. SO, sorry to rant, but I know all we care about is durable, consistent plastic that flies really freaking far, but there is a lot of outside factors that are totally out of the disc manufacturers control that make them change what they do.

And yes, I'm sure that occasionally they do something just to make some $$. How dare them!

I'm just happy that we have more than a handful of good disc manufacturers to choose from. None of them are perfect, but what company is?

I noticed that the only comments were on how it feels and looks. How do the discs fly and beat? IMO, that's a much better guage of the quality of the plastic considering look and feel does not contribute to score or distance.

good point. i don't know, it's been a long time since i bought any dx plastic.

i prefer dx to be a bit stiffer than other plastics. feels good for my mids/putters.

i prefer dx to be a bit stiffer than other plastics.
I'm with you on that one.

I know a lot of people out there would love to have some Innova/Discraft molds in Gateway's 'S' plastic. While their plastics are less consistant than anyone's, all of their S plastic is better than any DX or D plastic I've seen and it still has all of the advantages (except price) and is more durable. Mmmmm, S Teebird.

I know DX is supposed to be cheaper and less durable but c'mon! How many hard objects are you guys hitting? I had a DX Stingray that I had for about 7 years and my fiance has had it for a few months and it is fine. It has its bumps and bruises but not like it is anywhere near unusable.

I know DX is supposed to be cheaper and less durable but c'mon! How many hard objects are you guys hitting? I had a DX Stingray that I had for about 7 years and my fiance has had it for a few months and it is fine. It has its bumps and bruises but not like it is anywhere near unusable.

Most of my DX plastic lasts a while. Back in Iowa I would hit trees all the time without much damage to it. Out here in Phoenix where there really isn't any grass on the courses at all, your DX takes a beating fast. Old DX was fairly durable in my mind, the new stuff does feel a little suspect.

I read a post a while back from Dave at Innova that said they were adding some of the r-pro mix into the DX runs of certain discs especially the DX Aviars. I dunno about the drivers or mids though.

DX is nice is certain situations. Like for me I am looking at buying an understable mid. But I throw rocs. Rancho for stable, Ontario for straight. I am going to buy a DX rancho and hit some trees with it and after like a month BAM, understable mid. Less molds for me the better.

Latest posts