• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New (overstable) champion Bosses

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Anyone know why Innova decided to make the Boss more overstable? Lately I've been seeing new champion Bosses with the 1108 distance record stamp on them. They're listed as 13, 5, 0, 3. Older bosses were 13, 5, -1, 3.

Let me just say, these new Bosses are glideless beef cakes. I can't make them turn at all, even on 400' throws. I'm losing about 50' distance with the new Bosses vs. old ones.

That begs the question... why did Innova change this mold to make it more overstable? I really liked the old Bosses. They would turn a little without being flippy.

The new Bosses are just hogs. They fly like Apes. I'm not really digging them. They definitely aren't a disc I'd bag for standard long distance drives. Way too overstable.

I feel like the best champion Bosses Innova ever put out were the Feldberg ones. Great plastic, and good fliers. They had that bit of high speed turn that the new Bosses lack.

Small sample size, but both regular Champ discs I've bought in the last year have been OS bricks. The Wraith I might just not have the arm for, but the Valk flies like Thunderbird numbers. My color glow champ Thundy is right on the numbers tho.

did they tweak the mold or is it plh related

Maybe TeeDubya is getting older and losing the strength to muscle those warp speed drivers he always reviews. We need a throwing putter review TW. 😁

But yeah, I'd also bet it's PLH related....

Small sample size, but both regular Champ discs I've bought in the last year have been OS bricks. The Wraith I might just not have the arm for, but the Valk flies like Thunderbird numbers. My color glow champ Thundy is right on the numbers tho.

add sidewinder to that list

Champ Sidewinders are always beefy. Champ Roadrunners fly more like Sidewinders should.

Maybe TeeDubya is getting older and losing the strength to muscle those warp speed drivers he always reviews. We need a throwing putter review TW. 😁

But yeah, I'd also bet it's PLH related....

Jesus. Yeah, these new Bosses are making me feel old for sure. I was mashing on one yesterday and I couldn't make it stand up. I annied it for OK distance a couple times, but it was a chore.

Call me crazy, but Innova's newer champion plastic is beefy stuff. It has air bubbles in the rim. Not necessarily blizzard, but the air bubbles are there. Less glide and way more beef than prior batches of champion.

I feel the same. Just recently bought a few new Champ Bosses. All very stable for me. And the weird thing is, the 165g ones are more overstable than the 175g.

I use Bosses when i need more distance than my Forces, but the new Bosses are very close to my ESP Forces. Might have to look into a Katana or something.

Stop throwing bosses then. W the F. Disc down to a destroyer and get a cycle going like a normal person.

Jesus. Yeah, these new Bosses are making me feel old for sure. I was mashing on one yesterday and I couldn't make it stand up. I annied it for OK distance a couple times, but it was a chore.

Call me crazy, but Innova's newer champion plastic is beefy stuff. It has air bubbles in the rim. Not necessarily blizzard, but the air bubbles are there. Less glide and way more beef than prior batches of champion.

the air bubbles in the rim is nothing new

The plastic they are using lately may be shrinking more which raises the PLH (my guess). I have some new SW's and RR's and they fly -1 to -1.5.

I don't mind it and I love the feel of them, stiff and grippy. As long as I don't lose them they will be sweet fliers for a long time.

You could definitely look at a Champ Katana.

Bottom stamp Star Boss

OK, time to bring this thread to the forefront once again.

The title here relates to champion Bosses, but today I threw a bottom stamped Star Boss that bears discussing.

So, bottom stamped Star Boss. Huge, pop top dome. 175g. Embossed, so it's a newer disc. Beautiful condition, practically brand new.

I expected this thing to be a huge bomber, but, alas, it was not. I can't even describe how massively overstable this Star Boss is. It's in Nuke OS territory. Zero glide, no turn at all, and a super sharp, sudden fade. This thing was short. I think my top distance was about 350' with this Boss. With something flippier I'd be adding 100' to that. Even a champ XCal would fly flatter longer than this thing. I had to work this Boss over hard anny, and it would fight out of it very quickly. Flat throws were uselessly short hyzers.

Innova has obviously changed the Boss mold, and not for the better. These things are just VICIOUSLY overstable and glideless. I don't know what kind of bionic arm is needed to flatten out one of these new Bosses for big distance, but I don't possess it.

Today's Boss: 13, 4, 0, 4. Disappointing. Lame glide, no turn, and a VERY hard, sudden fade.

When I was looking at Corvettes a few weeks ago, the Pro and Gstar are stamped -2 turn, while the Star and Champ were stamped -1 turn. Did you look at a Gstar or Pro (or DX) Boss? Maybe they still show the -1 and Innova updated all the labels?

I'm a noodle arm, but I totally agree the 1108 Champ Boss I bought last year has excess gravity.

I'm a noodle arm, but I totally agree the 1108 Champ Boss I bought last year has excess gravity.

Those 1108 Bosses are slabs of beef. I've even thrown a couple lighter weight ones, and they don't turn at all.

I miss the Feldberg Bosses from 2009. IMO those were the best Bosses ever made.

Latest posts