• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New Innova Stuff

Why would the molding for the Pig be troublesome? Or do you just mean that they've never been able to make a very good version in premium plastic?

Might have been on the old PDGA boards where Dave talked about it. That first batch for the players pack at the Worlds Feldberg won in Michigan was a blend of Pro plastic that worked really well but they ran out and the next shipment of pellets wasn't the same. Demand was such that they tried different mixes but couldn't get the weight down so they made those Blizzard ones that had way too many x-outs and were pretty domey (have two in my backyard).

So making this Ax3 may be the replacement for a mold that people really liked but was only molding correctly in certain plastics and even then had a ton of 'fallout' from production. Not saying it is, but that seems like a reasonable guess.

AviarX3: looks like it might be going after the Zone/Harp slot?

They make it sound pretty OS, but similar grip to Aviar3 means no bead nor thumbtrack.

I'm going to wildly speculate that one reason for making this disc is to give Paul McBeth the overstable approach disc he's been looking for. The Aviar3 didn't work out for Paul, and he's been looking for an OS P2 replacement, apparently, having tried the Star Aviar P&A and Champion Aviar P&A. So maybe the AviarX3 will fit the bill...

(And yes, my wallet will scream but I'll probably try an Ax3.. )

What was his reason for ditching the P2 anyway?

I never heard one, but there seems to be a tendency for pro players to bag only their company's discs, and move away from partner company discs. Some Trilogy players are going only DD or only Lat64, etc., with Ricky being an exception. Paul McBeth uses the Dismania FD3 but n his commentaries has referred to it only as his "overstable fairway driver".

So I'm thinking that is part of the reason that Paul has moved away from the P2. In addition, he may want an approach disc that is more OS than the P2, like the Harp is for Ricky, etc. The Ax3 just might be that disc for Paul...

(All this is pure speculation. Fun, but merely guesswork.)

Side view! way more blunt.
aviarx3_profile.jpg

I was thinking how this new Aviar Could be the Driving Aviar, if they made a newer style Classic Aviar in premium plastic but a bit sharper where the wing meets the rest of the disc.

I was thinking how this new Aviar Could be the Beadless Driving Aviar. It is almost as if they made a newer style Classic Aviar in premium plastic but a bit sharper where the wing meets the rest of the disc.

Wait left side looks cut off. hmmmm

Damn good catch! Based on the left side the thing looked like a total beefcake.

The right side looks a little more like an Aviar.

Anyway, this thing looks dope. I think the comparisons to the Zone wing are apt.

EDIT: I've said it before and will say it again - we are SO spoiled when it comes to amazing driving putters.

Yes we are spoiled now when it comes to Driving Putters from Innova, before the Dart/Wedge those kind of putters you had to use a Skeeter or a Shark type midrange that had the flight path of a Putter or more that flight path in 2006 if you wanted a Dart Wedge type Putter, maybe an XD was the only option. Now since late 2009 with the Wedge and since then others, you have putters that are more used as driving putters then regular putters exception is the Colt I have seen a lower tier pro in the bag who was with Innova and he has that as his Putter in Either XT or DX for putting and one in Star for a driving putter.

From the man himself on social media - Dave D "The AviarX3 is THE best sidearm putter in the game". I know he is biased but hard to not get excited!

I should add he did also say while there are many good backhand putter options, sidearm is another story. I tend to agree with that and up powering down a mortar or cro. Excited to have this one come out and would be curious if any pro will be on video throwing it this weekend.

Awesome Aviar3x and P3x - both nice OS throwing putter. I'm still rocking a Harp and Lord knows driving putters are the Bees Knees. If you're a fan of these types of discs check out the MVP Proton ATOM or Axiom Envy, Proxy. I hope to see a Zone/Harp - like disc for most companies. its a sweet disc-type to have

I hope the AX3 is awesome, but to say it's the best driving putter in a Market that includes the Harp and Envy is a very bold statement.