• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Layout at Harry Myers Rockwall TX

DonJuanDeLaNooch

Bogey Member
So I was out for a casual round today and noticed parks and rec has been gettin busy. Tons of new tee boxes poured today. Brush mostly removed. I can't wait to see new baskets for the new holes. Anyway it looks like the new layout will be substantially different. Does anyone have details or even better a new map?? John Houck mentions some changes on his site but nothing detailed. From what I can tell it looks like it's going to be epic.

What are the chances of said changes being completed by April?

EDIT: I guess pretty good, considering the Nick Hyde Memorial is in April.

Last edited:
I had heard a while back that the plan was to have everything ready for the Nick Hyde Memorial. The AM weekend is March 23-24 so I'm hoping we get the new layout before then so we have some time to practice on it.

From what I can tell progress is being made quickly.

Looks like John has upped his Jedi mind trick capabilities and has convinced them that a re-design is mandatory. Mwahhahah.
I need to hire John to visit my boss because I need a raise and a better pair of shoes.

Last edited:
It does need a redesign. It rains a lot in the spring (during the NHM) and the holes in the bottoms aren't playable for the sake of safety. I only play HM when its been rain free for a while. There's too many courses that are more fun (less muddy) after a rain event.

True dat.

There are parts of the course that have been sloppy wet since October of last year. Frustrating.
It does look like some of the new layout especially the relocation of 5-7 will be wayyyy better. I'm stoked to play it. Looks like the new pins are coming soon. I saw lots of spray paint markers in line with new tee boxes but I wanna see it so bad.

Looks like John has upped his Jedi mind trick capabilities and has convinced them that a re-design is mandatory. Mwahhahah.
I need to hire John to visit my boss because I need a raise and a better pair of shoes.

No Jedi mind tricks needed on this one. Disc gofers in the DFW area are very fortunate -- the Parks Director and staff in Rockwall love disc golf and want their course to be the best it can be. They hold to very high standards.

And Harry Myers 2.0 was their idea, not mine.

By the way, NDA, I tried. Your boss says you need to quit thinking about dg at work so much. Also, new shoes first, raise second. Just how it is. Sorry.

What are the chances of said changes being completed by April?

EDIT: I guess pretty good, considering the Nick Hyde Memorial is in April.

Cy, you'll be good. One of the goals of HM 2.0 was to give touring pros a better challenge when they come to Rockwall, so about half of the holes will have gold pin positions to be used for Big Boy/Big Girl events only.

It drives me crazy to see top players competing on courses I've designed for Blue level (925-975) players. Rockwall (Nick Hyde) and Harmony Bends (Mid-America Open) both have gold pin locations and should give those elite players more of the challenge they deserve. Also looking at this solution for a few other courses.

Hope to see you when you're here. Youdaman.

Any news on this bad boy? I'm looking at the 13" of snow out my window and need something to dream about for my trip in April.

I played a couple of weeks ago, and it's still in the old layout. There has been a lot of work done on the course though. I saw lots of new tee pads scattered around the course pointing random directions, indicating there will be a LOT of changes to the course. T hey also cut down a lot of trees on existing holes. I thought the original plan was to remove the stretch of holes that flood a lot, but I think the changes may end up more extensive than that.

I haven't seen any official update or estimated time of finish.

*Disclaimer-most of us are TRYING to stay optimistic about this change...we've been involved (not me recently but several of the local pro's, we've taken a ton of time doing maintenance and keeping up the course, and had what we thought was a very good working relationship with parks and rec), they didn't contact anyone or get anyone's input (Matt Siri as well since he runs the Nick Hyde). We're hoping for the best, but at this point really kind of expecting the worst once we've seen the tee pads and pin placements getting put in to the ground.

Sigh...OK so basically it looks like this course is getting watered down. They cleared out a TON of trees, planted a TON more and are shortening a ton of holes. I think the only holes that aren't changing at 1 and 17. Standing on the tee for several holes it's almost a pitch and putt course, and it gets so lost and confusing right now we can't follow tee pads and pin placements after about the first 4 holes. Again, we could be completely wrong and could be looking at the wrong baskets from the tee's, but it's the best we can make sense of it. When it was spray painted in to the ground we followed tee pad #'s to pin placement #'s and lost a little hope for the future of the course. Harry Myers is a great course that offers a plethora of types of holes, short, long, wide open, wooded, dogleg right, dogleg left. Someone also mentioned that parks and rec wanted the course shortened and watered down for weekend warrior type players. I understand we can't manicure the course for NT's and DGPT stops, but hopefully....hopefully in the end it offers a little of both.

Sigh...OK so basically it looks like this course is getting watered down. They cleared out a TON of trees, planted a TON more and are shortening a ton of holes. I think the only holes that aren't changing at 1 and 17. ... Again, we could be completely wrong and could be looking at the wrong baskets from the tee's, but it's the best we can make sense of it. When it was spray painted in to the ground we followed tee pad #'s to pin placement #'s and lost a little hope for the future of the course. Harry Myers is a great course that offers a plethora of types of holes, short, long, wide open, wooded, dogleg right, dogleg left. Someone also mentioned that parks and rec wanted the course shortened and watered down for weekend warrior type players. I understand we can't manicure the course for NT's and DGPT stops, but hopefully....hopefully in the end it offers a little of both.

Mark, as I explained on Instagram today, you are not looking at the right tee/basket combinations. The new course is actually a bit longer from the longs. For touring pros, the 10 Gold pin positions add, on average, 60' per hole, most of which also offer a trickier angle and/or more risk. Of course, the park isn't any bigger than it used to be, which is why the course doesn't stretch to 8500' or 9500'. Can't have everything.

Trees are gone to make lines more fair, and trees have been added for challenge and to maintain buffers between holes and with sidewalks. A ton of brush has been removed throughout, and I'm hoping more will be gone in the next few months. A couple holes are getting retaining walls to deal with erosion, which also means that instead of having to throw from on top of dozens of exposed tree roots, players will have a flat, reliable surfaces hat provides better footing.

There is nothing "pitch 'n' putt" about Harry Myers 2.0. The original course had four holes under 235' from the Blue (long) tees; the new course has none.

Almost everything about the new version is better for anyone who currently enjoys the Blue tees. It was also important to make the course better for touring pros who come to town to compete, especially for the Nick Hyde. The Gold 2.0 is a much, much better test for them.

Just so everyone knows, the City NEVER said a word to me about making the course shorter or easier. That rumor is 100% without basis. We only ever talked about making if more fair and more challenging -- and more appropriate for the world's best once or twice a year. I did not want to make 2.0 harder for new players, so -- thanks to the City's willingness to accommodate those players -- we now have Red (short) tees on EVERY hole, and the new version is actually shorter overall for them.

You will be able to see it all within a matter of days. The new signs arrived today, including 18 new "Next Tee" signs. A dozen more trees went in today, including ten 20' cedar elms -- how many cities plant trees that big on their disc golf courses? So I'm asking you for just a little more patience.

It is a fact of life that you can't please everyone, but I expect ALMOST everyone, if they give the new course a few plays with an open mind, to easily prefer the new version. If you've been playing disc golf for a while, you're probably a better player than you were ten years ago. In the same way, I am a better designer than I was ten years ago. And the Rockwall Parks Department is more committed to their course than ever. Their effort on this project has been TREMENDOUS, and everyone in DFW is about to see how fortunate they are to have a parks department that values disc golf this way.

I'm glad to see that YOU also value this course. Hang in there.

Thanks.

I absolutely rescind my above statements then. Like I said we're remaining optimistic and we were likely looking at the wrong placements. I can't wait for the course to be completed. Next time I'm out on the course (which is usually daily) I'll start filling folks in on what's to come.

Here is the new green for #1 at Harry Myers 2.0. Same great pin location, new reliable landing surface. No more bad kicks or bad footing from roots. Oh, yeah -- BASKETS ARE IN!

Rockwall Parks rocks.

--photo courtesy of A. Hesser

Attachments

• IMG_4169.jpg
    IMG_4169.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 56
And the landing area on the new #9. Before and Now.

We love trees, and trees have roots. But roots are no fun to land on or throw from.

-- Now photos courtesy of A. Hesser

Attachments

• HM9LA Before.jpg
    HM9LA Before.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4170.jpg
    IMG_4170.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 66
Awesome to see, remembering playing before the first tee signs were in. Knew it was gonna be something specia, too cool