• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] new md3

I picked up two of the new MD3's two days ago and have been throwing one of them in field practice. I adore this new plastic blend. With my eyes closed I can't tell the difference between it and Kastaplast's K1. Same level of grip, stiffness, flex, and as far as I can tell, durability. I threw one into a rock wall from 15' with all the power I could muster (~475'-500' when I throw that hard with my distance drivers) and it barely shows it. There's two small impact marks and I can barely feel where it hit the wall. No change in flight after that one hit at all.

I'd say that the flight number change is a little innacurate, but is close. I get a bit more fade, maybe 5,4,0,2. Kinda reminds me of a fresh, max weight envy in that it has extreme resistance to turn, but a reliable, penetrating finish. In fact it flies exactly like what I imagine a 5 speed envy would fly like. I've thrown it up to 350' and seen zero turn, and minimal fade at that power. Powered down the fade is a bit more noticable, and the disc is still incredibly workable. It's a perfect slightly more stable compliment to the couple of buzzz's in my bag.

The one I've been throwing has a bit more shoulder and dome than the other I got (which is board flat), and definitely is less comfortable for a FH grip. I'll throw them both side by side soon and report if the dome has any effect on flight.

Nice write up. MD3 sounds like a 5 speed P2.

Nice write up. MD3 sounds like a 5 speed P2.

5 speed p2 is a good comparison!

I got out to throw the flat and domey md3 yesterday, and threw it alongside a kaxe and the most stable buzzz I have (2020 TS).
The md3 is more HSS than either the Buzzz or Kaxe, and has less fade than the Kaxe and a touch more than the buzzz. The flat one has a *slightly*, barely noticable really, difference in flight, with just a touch less fade and the same HSS. These were thrown into 5-15mph winds in all different directions and the md3 barely seemed to notice the wind unless I was trying to ride the wind. I was really impressed with it into a headwind. Absolutely laser with no turn where a fresh Kaxe was drifting to the right slightly.

Also, I'm attaching a photo of the damage from the time I whipped it into a wall.

Attachments

• A87DDCE2-3AFD-4FA7-886A-9A977D002EDE.jpg
    A87DDCE2-3AFD-4FA7-886A-9A977D002EDE.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 57
I picked one up today. The blue stamp on red is hawt. Flies well, might bag it. Need to do more FH field work. It flies like a lot like my Hexes in shape and distance until the end, but a tad (and I mean tad, in a good way) beefier. Rim shape not my fav, but might grow on me. Had some wobbles on the FH full sends (still got great distance).

LOVE the italian leather sofa plastic.

Just opened the new MD3 box. Is the bottom edge microbead supposed to feel sharp? Kinda feels like flashing that needs removed. Hmmm… should be able to throw it tomorrow.

Just opened the new MD3 box. Is the bottom edge microbead supposed to feel sharp? Kinda feels like flashing that needs removed. Hmmm… should be able to throw it tomorrow.

Noticed that as well. Hmmmm indeed. My son has an old MD3 and it's pretty much just the cybertruck shape, didn't notice the edge.

Anyone else notice this?

No flashing on mine either.

I really like this run of MD3s. I prefer a bit of dome, so they feel great in my hand. Out of the box, they fly just like my seasoned S-line. I also compared them to a new S-line and the C-lines held straighter and glided longer.

I prefer the grip on the S-line, but will probably keep a C-line in my practice cycle to see how it works in.

Threw the MD3 just now. Had 250' distance limitation in my yard, but, first, the glide is real. I have to crank on an Envy or P2 to land where the MD3 lands with almost no effort. Mine has some dome and slight heartbeat (but it's still very mild midrange dome). The bottom edge around the microbead felt odd in the hand, but unnoticed during throws. The fade is more than the L64 Trust that I've come to enjoy. Approach FH is very tasty, especially touch flex shots that always come out. Something about the wing that feels more comfortable than a Trust or Reactor (or Buzzz).

I did throw one of my proto P2 high into the neighbor's thick evergreen tree… ugh.

Threw the MD3 just now. Had 250' distance limitation in my yard, but, first, the glide is real. I have to crank on an Envy or P2 to land where the MD3 lands with almost no effort. Mine has some dome and slight heartbeat (but it's still very mild midrange dome). The bottom edge around the microbead felt odd in the hand, but unnoticed during throws. The fade is more than the L64 Trust that I've come to enjoy. Approach FH is very tasty, especially touch flex shots that always come out. Something about the wing that feels more comfortable than a Trust or Reactor (or Buzzz).

I did throw one of my proto P2 high into the neighbor's thick evergreen tree… ugh.

Been there done that, thrown into a neighbors evergreen. I just went and got my disc, hoping the neighbor wouldn't notice me. :\

Been there done that, thrown into a neighbors evergreen. I just went and got my disc, hoping the neighbor wouldn't notice me. :\

I've been looking, shaking tree, even have 15' worth of lay-up sticks … can't see it or get the tree to let go. I've already been on neighbors roof twice in the past. This is what happens when I release with any slight anhyzer…

I've been looking, shaking tree, even have 15' worth of lay-up sticks … can't see it or get the tree to let go. I've already been on neighbors roof twice in the past. This is what happens when I release with any slight anhyzer…

On the neighbors roof? You knock on the door and bring a ladder over? :popcorn:

When I first learn how to throw backhand farther I pumped my yikun Gui too hard and it got stuck in a neighbor's gutter 20+ft up. I got my extension ladder and got it, but it was a near run thing.

More fieldwork with new MD3 (C-line). I compared it with an old MD3 today, and earlier against Hexes of various wear.

Unsurprisingly, it flies a lot like the old MD3. If anything, a bit more LSS, but it's a close thing. I don't notice the microbead on the old MD3.

FH work was great, was able to knock out 300-320'ish throws with wind in various directions. Only one throw was wonky, and it was hard to tell if it was the disc or the throw, but it was into a fairly stiff L-R headwind on a FH anny nose-up throw. It *really* dug into the wind and folded in on itself, turning topside into the wind. It was an odd angle and not a great throw, but I didn't notice the same exaggerated response from the Hexes. Again, probably just a bit too nose up and too much anny, and nothing to learn from.

Great line-drive disc with various winds. I'll second the comment about wind-indifference, it seems to react less strongly than some discs to similar conditions. It would be an easy disc to bag, a solid mid.

I threw it once today during tags. 335' 4-5' uphill with a strongish right to left cross, slight tail if anything. Won $15 for CTP so it almost paid for itself... :D

If I had to give one reason to explore it, it would be wind resilience.

I threw it once today during tags. 335' 4-5' uphill with a strongish right to left cross, slight tail if anything. Won $15 for CTP so it almost paid for itself... :D

If I had to give one reason to explore it, it would be wind resilience.

I threw 5 holes in blaring winds off the lake yesterday. Agree the MD3 (and P2*) almost don't care about the wind. Brisk headwind? Straight. Tailwind? Floats. Crosswind? But, was there really crosswind? If it's released with nose flat wrt trajectory, it follows the line.

*P2 in driving situations, not putting. I couldn't make a put in the wind at all.