• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New mold vulcan?

i took a pic of the 2 vulcans side by side but with my normal vulcan upside down. theyre nearly identical. i would post a pic but im at work and dont have an accessible computer

I resized the pic and held my old stamp Z flash up to the screen and it is exactly the same as the blue/black disc on the right-hand side of your pic.

my thoughts, as someone that handles a lot of discs at work, would be that those are the same disc. You simply have 2 extremes. The one of the left looks low enough to be a Ninja while the one of the right is crazy high. The pieces don't look far off from the picture, they just look like they cooled differently. I have had a few people come into the store and tell me that their 160s Vulcans have been pretty stable for a Vulcan. This might explain it

Ah, the joys of Innova. I had the same thing happen with 2 Star Katanas. I had a 175 that I loved so I bought a lower weight, but it was so stable I couldn't get it 3/4 of the distance as my heavier one. Wasn't a worn-in issue either. I know variations can happen with any manufacturer, but it seems to happen more with Innova than the other major ones.

I'd keep it, crank out FHs as hard as you can, and amaze people that you're doing it with a Vulcan.

I know variations can happen with any manufacturer, but it seems to happen more with Innova than the other major ones.

they produce a large portion of the discs on the market. discraft is no where close. These new companies like MVP, Lat64, Legacy, etc are like micro breweries representing less than 1% of the market each. It really doesn't make sense to most people until you start working for a disc golf retailer. I know it didn't for me until I saw firsthand.

yeahh thats pretty bad. Maybe its stamped wrong..

they produce a large portion of the discs on the market. discraft is no where close. These new companies like MVP, Lat64, Legacy, etc are like micro breweries representing less than 1% of the market each. It really doesn't make sense to most people until you start working for a disc golf retailer. I know it didn't for me until I saw firsthand.
What disc golf retailer are you working for that Lat64 only accounts for 1% of your sales?

On subject, my first run Vulcan was a thing of beauty, nice long turnover out to 400+ with a smooth easy relase. The new batch from about a month ago is more like an Archon in both stability and distance. Gonna have to beat it in.

The numbers don't matter. The underlying theme is that Innova produces a lot more than other companies. They produce a lot of discs. Small companies have a lot less models and the owners are pretty much doing or visually overseeing 100% of the molding still. Small scale manufacturers produce higher quality discs, just like how a micro-brewery would produce a better quality beer than say Budweiser. They represent a minuscule portion of the market but receive more attention because the companies owners are hands in production.

What disc golf retailer are you working for that Lat64 only accounts for 1% of your sales?

Latitude isn't that popular, I know you throw it exclusively but still.

1. Innova
2. Discraft

No debate.

3-4 are Gateway and Millenium battling

5-6 are DGA and Lat64 battling

but by producing more discs, their quality control has gone downhill

Latitude isn't that popular, I know you throw it exclusively but still.

1. Innova
2. Discraft

No debate.

3-4 are Gateway and Millenium battling

5-6 are DGA and Lat64 battling

Lat64 is up there with gateway and millennium

DGA probably sells more baskets than discs

Larger volumes are no excuse for poor quality :\
Someone is running these products, its their responsibility to notice when something is wrong and notify a tech or engineer.
That holds true whether you run a million units a year or a thousand.
That being said I do love my innova drivers lol.

I understand the level of marketshare that Innova has. What I don't agree with, is the acceptance that because they make more, they're allowed to have a lower level of quality.

To use your analogy. Just because people may prefer micro-breweries doesn't mean Budweiser produces a lower quality. People are not getting sick off their beer or finding broken glass in their bottles. Taste preference is not analogous to quality. I would actually guarantee that due to their size, Budweiser holds themselves to even stricter level of quality. Whereas Innova seems to have an image of trying to pump out more molds faster.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking their business model. Apple does it much the same way. By the time all the bugs and issues with an iPhone or an iPad are solved, the next model is on its way and millions line up around the street to spend another $500. Innova IS Disc Golf. It is the first brand that a majority of new players will have in their hands (I know it was mine).

And I also acknowledge that the majority of casual players don't care, or don't notice the quality control shifts that some of us here do. But I'm also not appealling to the masses. I'm posting on a forum where people are the type to care about this, or (presumably) want to learn. People religiously hunt down older Rocs and Aviars, etc. because back then Innova seemed to care more about being a Disc Golf provider than a Disc Golf business.

I guess my point is, I don't know why people would give Innova a pass on quality and consistency just because they put out more volume. Reputation is everything, regardless of what you do. If the trend continues, the minority that do notice it will begin to influence the majority that don't know any better.

I understand the level of marketshare that Innova has. What I don't agree with, is the acceptance that because they make more, they're allowed to have a lower level of quality.

To use your analogy. Just because people may prefer micro-breweries doesn't mean Budweiser produces a lower quality. People are not getting sick off their beer or finding broken glass in their bottles. Taste preference is not analogous to quality. I would actually guarantee that due to their size, Budweiser holds themselves to even stricter level of quality. Whereas Innova seems to have an image of trying to pump out more molds faster.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking their business model. Apple does it much the same way. By the time all the bugs and issues with an iPhone or an iPad are solved, the next model is on its way and millions line up around the street to spend another $500. Innova IS Disc Golf. It is the first brand that a majority of new players will have in their hands (I know it was mine).

And I also acknowledge that the majority of casual players don't care, or don't notice the quality control shifts that some of us here do. But I'm also not appealling to the masses. I'm posting on a forum where people are the type to care about this, or (presumably) want to learn. People religiously hunt down older Rocs and Aviars, etc. because back then Innova seemed to care more about being a Disc Golf provider than a Disc Golf business.

I guess my point is, I don't know why people would give Innova a pass on quality and consistency just because they put out more volume. Reputation is everything, regardless of what you do. If the trend continues, the minority that do notice it will begin to influence the majority that don't know any better.

I agree and this thread has helped me to spend my money were I should. I just gave my only Vulcan to a good friend, and was considering getting a new one, but I just decided to look @ a Lat64 instead. I have noticed differences in Innova plastic even though I'm only say an avid intermediate player. I can't afford to get a replacement disc again and it not be what I'm looking for.

People will be saying the same things about Lat64 in 5 years. That company is growing extremely fast.

Latest posts