• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New player, need new disc?

JerichoBronco

This is probably too vague to answer but I'll ask anyways...

So my normal drive is a backhand. I get a good run at it, give it my all, really trying to whip my hips/shoulders around. I use a Valkrye driver, w/ a speed of 9.

Now I've been playing with my forehand and I can take a mid, use a nice easy throw and get the same distance as my driver with a backhand.

Here is my ? Does this likely mean that I'm need a driver with more speed or is it just more likely I have better form with a forehand?

DON'T GET A DRIVER WITH MORE SPEED. You don't need it yet.

They key to good distance is form, and alot of that is going to show up in the split second when the "hit" occurs, or snap. Its a lot easier to get that forehand for most people, however it is limited. It becomes a crutch. If you work on backhand form it will most likely produce more distance. It takes a while to get all the timing down but is worth it.

In realty, its good to be able to work both well. Its like batting, you probably prefer one way and are more comfortable, and can generate more power, but switching it up gives you an advantage.

Last edited:
The question is almost always the same....

How far are you throwing?

TL.DR You don't need a faster driver. Probably your forehand form is much better than your backhand.

Here's a test: Throw your midrange and driver backhand a few times and see which one goes further and by how much. If your driver isn't going much further than your mid, it's too much disc for you right now.

To answer your question, you definitely don't need a faster driver right now. Keep practicing with your midranges and your Valkyrie until you get the mid out past 200 feet and the Valkyrie out past 250 feet with accuracy.

It sounds to me like you have better form forehand, like I did/do. Keep practicing forehand as well as backhand. Some people throw forehand all the time, some people backhand, some people both. If you can get both down, you'll have a lot of tools to make you a great player.

Keep the valkyrie in the bag during rounds and throw your mid exclusively until you feel like your distance has really increased. Then take your valkyrie for some field practice and see if you can outdrive the mid with it. If not, keep at it brother.

Thanks so much for the advice.

To answer a few of the ?'s:

My backhand goes from right to left and I can throw it 250-275. That's with 100% on my throwing effort. I would say it cuts more than my forehand. I find myself using this when I need to shape my shots from right to left off the tee.

My forehand goes left to right, and stays straighter than my backhand. Same distances but I use maybe 75% effort. I did buy a Destroyer for my forehand, I like the flight path better and it seems more stable than my Valkyrie.

Sounds like I have the right discs for now, so I'll just keep at it.

Again I appreciate your feedback.

My backhand goes from right to left and I can throw it 250-275. That's with 100% on my throwing effort.

My guess is that you would get about that same BH distance with anything from a speed 5-14 because you are only throwing with enough power to get about a speed 5 up to it's designed speed.

However, the lower speeds will respond better to form flaws and teach you 10x better/faster than the Valk and especially the Destroyer.