• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] New player requesting disc recommendations for self and wife

HarisonKaito

All my life I have wanted to play disc golf, but I only recently found that there are two courses very near (15–30 minutes' drive) where we live. Seemingly I have wasted 20 years unaware.

My wife is very keen to play as well. But I'm not sure what discs to buy. We would like to play regularly but probably can't afford to buy light discs to start with and then upgrade after we've gained some experience.

So if possible I'd like to buy a small set (is 3 discs apiece too few?) for each of us now that will also be a set we will be happy using when we are accustomed to playing. So a learning curve handling more responsive discs is not a problem for our purposes; neither is a strength curve handling higher-weight discs.

I am 29 and my wife is 23; we are both fairly active. As a caveat to the previous paragraph, she would be the first to say that she is significantly weaker in the arm than me, and she would appreciate lighter discs overall. So although she will be content not working her way up in weight to her ideal disc, but rather starting out with it, her ideal disc might be lighter than mine. But I have little idea how much discs vary in weight.

We will be playing almost exclusively at the following two courses:

Lohmann Park, Urbana
Brent Johnson Park, Mahomet

I read another forum thread, Top 10 BEST Discs by Innova/Discraft, extensively and from it compiled a list of the recommended discs.

104 different discs were recommended by 55 different people. The following discs got at least 5 recommendations:

49 . . . Aviar
48 . . . Roc
45 . . . Buzzz
41 . . . Teebird
38 . . . Destroyer
32 . . . Firebird
27 . . . Leopard
26 . . . Eagle
24 . . . Comet
24 . . . Zone
21 . . . Wraith
17 . . . Valkyrie
16 . . . Predator
15 . . . Drone
14 . . . Challenger
13 . . . Rhyno
10 . . . Roadrunner
10 . . . Surge
08 . . . Nuke
07 . . . Beast
07 . . . Wasp
07 . . . XCaliber
06 . . . Avenger
06 . . . Orc
05 . . . Cobra
05 . . . Force
05 . . . Mako
05 . . . Meteor

Knowing that we'd like to buy discs that we won't have to upgrade from when we become accustomed to play,

• What set of discs do you recommend for me, and why?

• For my wife? Why?

And I don't have the first idea where to buy them, either. My first instinct was to look on Amazon; my second was to scratch that and find a forum.

Believe me, I'll appreciate any recommendations you can make. I know enough to know I need to ask for help.

Welcome to the addiction...

Starter sets from Innova or Discraft will do you well. If I recall correctly, both companies offer those sets in mens and womens/childrens weights. Either company's set will supply you with a putter, mid-range, and driver. They are also offered in base or premium plastic. Base plastic will be cheaper, but not as durable, and tend to "beat in" very quickly (meaning after a few good tree hits, your base plastic disc may not have the same flight characteristics it had when new... which may not necessarily be a bad thing). Premium plastic holds stability longer, giving you the same characteristics flight after flight.

My recommendations for weight would be 165-174g for your driver and mid, and max weight for your putter. For your wife, driver in the 148-165g range, mid around 165-170, max weight putter.

It sounds like you will be playing this game for a while so I suggest bypassing the cheapest plastic and jump right on to the more durable ones.

As far as molds, start out with slower speed discs (i.e. putters and mid-ranges). If you wanted to start racing cars, why would you want to jump to Formula One cars first that go 250 mph? One would do well starting off with slower cars to learn control while racing. Hold off on drivers until you can throw your mid-ranges with some distance and accuracy.

For now, avoid overstable discs. For right-handed throwers, these discs will fade to the left faster and rob you of distance and accuracy.

Not knowing how far both of you throw, I think it's a safe bet to get weights between 150g-160g for both of you. I still throw a 150g disc for certain shots.

Stick with the specs above and any mold you'll choose will be just fine. If you have a chance to actually hold the disc before you buy, then just go with what feels comfortable in your hand (still sticking with the specs).

Last edited:
Oh, and any of the vendors advertising here on DGCR are a good bet for online shopping, but I believe you have some local options down there for brick and mortar purchases (names are eluding me at the moment). If you shop EBay, Hyzerfarm is a great seller that will go out of their way to answer any questions you may have.

The weight ranges suggested seem to be right on, as far as specific molds go that aviar would be a great putter, and the Roc and Leopard would be a great starter combo. A DX Roc and Pro Leopard would get you started on a great track. Those discs would also work for your wife.

Discgolfcenter.com will have everything on that list, and free shipping also. Most of those discs will get you started on the right track so whatever you choose stick with and really learn how they fly. The technique forum will also have some good links to get the fundamentals.

Welcome to the forums :D

Stay away from these in red and I would recommend the blue to start off, also if you like this sport and stay with it you will be buying more discs… You will WANT to try different discs for the various feel and flight, also the discs aren't that expensive 8-18$ a piece and you can even buy used or trade on this forum.

9 . . . Aviar
48 . . . Roc
45 . . . Buzzz
41 . . . Teebird
38 . . . Destroyer
32 . . . Firebird
27 . . . Leopard
26 . . . Eagle
24 . . . Comet
24 . . . Zone
21 . . . Wraith
17 . . . Valkyrie
16 . . . Predator
15 . . . Drone
14 . . . Challenger
13 . . . Rhyno
10 . . . Roadrunner
10 . . . Surge
08 . . . Nuke
07 . . . Beast
07 . . . Wasp
07 . . . XCaliber
06 . . . Avenger
06 . . . Orc
05 . . . Cobra
05 . . . Force
05 . . . Mako
05 . . . Meteor

Plastic type: Inexpensive baseline plastic is the cheapest <$10/disc, but doesn't last as long. Most people like baseline plastic for putters, but premium plastic for mids and drivers. The baseline stuff is great for starting out because it doesn't cost much and you can play with it for a while to see if you like it.

Places to get discs: Go online to Marshall Street Disc Golf, DiscGolfCenter, Community Discs, those are my go-to stores with top notch service.

Discs: You should each start with a putter (baseline plastic), a midrange, and a low speed driver. I would recommend starting with weights in the 170s for putters, 165-172g for midranges and 160-169g for drivers.

Putters: Aviar Putt & Approach, Judge, Challenger, Magnet
Mid Ranges: Buzzz, Shark, Fugitive
Drivers: Leopard, TL, FD Jackal, Stalker

I'm not a huge fan but if your wife wants the lightweight discs specifically made for beginners with slightly smaller hands, you can't beat Lattitude 64's line of easy to throw discs the Ruby, Pearl, and Diamond.

When it comes to the plastics all the suggestions made by the previous responders are awesome. Being a rookie year player, who is on a crippled budget (recent 7k paycut) and with two little folk who also caught dad's discgolf addiction well I must choose discs carefully.

One more reflection on previous responders is this once you begin throwing and start to see improvement most likely you will become addicted to the sport and soon after you realize as I and many others have too that 3 discs simply won't do for very long.

Vibram is my choice of discs for many reasons longevity and durability being a big one. These discs take and absolute beating. Direct drives into nearby trees, spike hyzers into jagged sharpedged boulders even crashing through thorn brush. After months of this kind of treatment they look new and fly true.

Ridge
Ibex
Trak
Unlace

Those four will do you right from the beginning until ...........

Welcome to disc golf.

If you want to start out cheap, but not waste money.
Go buy just a Buzzz, go throw it.

As for where to buy, do you have a Dick's Sporting Goods, or Academy Sports nearby? Those big chain stores carry an OK selection of Innova discs. You should be able to find a good putter/mid/driver combo there.

Last edited:
If you want to get cheaper type discs, x-outs are a good option. Innova pro shop sells them (shipping is expensive unless you get $50 (I think). Other sites sell them as well.

If you can hold the discs to get a general idea of what you like - deep vs shallow, wide vs narrow rim, beaded vs unbeaded, you can get a general idea. Unles its a DG specific store, you will overpay at PIA, REI and others. Start with a handful of discs, (5-6 between the two of you should be a good start). As you find out what discs work for you (and your wife) you can expand from there. Even better, if you can play a round from someone's bag, and you can see what discs work best, that would be great.

Try to play with other so you can ask questions. It took me a year to figure out why my understable disc thrown flat kept turning and burning 50' out. I now know hyzerflipping it can get me max distance. Asking someone would have saved some time.

I also vote for premium plastic. It's a little more expensive up front, but it's worth it in the long run (IMO).

Here is what I would recommend on a budget but long term investment.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com

Buy 12 F2 Factory Second discs and get free shipping (over $75) and 20% off. You can each get 6 discs a piece.

You-

KC Pro Aviar 175g $8 putter
KC Pro Roc 175g $8 mid
DX Stingray 175g $6 mid
Pro Leopard 175g $8 fwy
Echostar Teebird 175g $8 fwy
Champ Firebird 170g $11 headwind/fh/utility

$49

Her-

KC Pro Aviar 165g $8 putter
KC Pro Roc 165g $8 mid
DX Stingray 160g $6 mid
Pro Leopard 165g $8 fwy
Echostar Teebird 165g $8 fwy
Pro Valkyrie 165g $8 distance/headwind

$46

$95 + 20% off = $76 shipped

Start out with just the mids and putter till you both learn how to throw consistently.

Innova actually sells a starter pack with an Aviar, Shark, and Leopard.

They are pretty inexpensive, but if you'd like you could simply both start with an Aviar and Leopard and go from there for $32 total between the two of you. If you want you could switch a Teebird for your driver instead of the Leopard if you are worried you will overpower it.

Stick to the DX plastic for now.

2 max weight Fly-dye Champ Grooves

Anything less... would be uncivilized.

#YOLOSwag

/thread

Stay away from these in red and I would recommend the blue to start off, also if you like this sport and stay with it you will be buying more discs… You will WANT to try different discs for the various feel and flight, also the discs aren't that expensive 8-18$ a piece and you can even buy used or trade on this forum.

9 . . . Aviar
48 . . . Roc
45 . . . Buzzz
41 . . . Teebird
38 . . . Destroyer
32 . . . Firebird
27 . . . Leopard
26 . . . Eagle
24 . . . Comet
24 . . . Zone
21 . . . Wraith
17 . . . Valkyrie
16 . . . Predator
15 . . . Drone
14 . . . Challenger
13 . . . Rhyno
10 . . . Roadrunner
10 . . . Surge
08 . . . Nuke
07 . . . Beast
07 . . . Wasp
07 . . . XCaliber
06 . . . Avenger
06 . . . Orc
05 . . . Cobra
05 . . . Force
05 . . . Mako
05 . . . Meteor

I "blued" the last two mids, great for beginners IMO

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. A lot to consider. And thank you for the helpful tips alongside.

One question about factory seconds. Since you're recommending them, they're clearly not unsuitable for use. So why are they seconds? Just unsuitabilities of appearance? Or simply unsuitabilities of form that won't mean a thing to me for years?

Good question on the F2 discs. I honestly don't know. I own a dozen or more factory 2nd discs from Innova, only one of which I could find any blemish on. It was no worse than it could get from its first tree hit. I have only bought them in DX, Pro and Star so I don't know if the same is true for Champ plastic. They are a great value IMO.

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. A lot to consider. And thank you for the helpful tips alongside.

One question about factory seconds. Since you're recommending them, they're clearly not unsuitable for use. So why are they seconds? Just unsuitabilities of appearance? Or simply unsuitabilities of form that won't mean a thing to me for years?

It could be a few things, like a bad stamp. Fleck of black in the plastic. Bubble in the rim. Really only cosmetic problems. Usually very minor from my experience. Nothing that would effect performance.

Great, thank you, that was what I was assuming since people recommended them. I'll gladly accept cosmetic problems for a halved cost.

Here is what I would recommend on a budget but long term investment.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com

Buy 12 F2 Factory Second discs and get free shipping (over $75) and 20% off. You can each get 6 discs a piece.

You-

KC Pro Aviar 175g $8 putter
KC Pro Roc 175g $8 mid
DX Stingray 175g $6 mid
Pro Leopard 175g $8 fwy
Echostar Teebird 175g $8 fwy
Champ Firebird 170g $11 headwind/fh/utility

$49

Her-

KC Pro Aviar 165g $8 putter
KC Pro Roc 165g $8 mid
DX Stingray 160g $6 mid
Pro Leopard 165g $8 fwy
Echostar Teebird 165g $8 fwy
Pro Valkyrie 165g $8 distance/headwind

$46

$95 + 20% off = $76 shipped

Start out with just the mids and putter till you both learn how to throw consistently.

why the ax weight on the Leo and teebird? just curios.