• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wanted - advice on multi pack of one disc sets

Timharrison

Hello,

I played some disc golf today with my family and really enjoyed it. I'd like to buy a 4 discs set to get started (one for each family member), however all the starter kits I can find are for different types of discs for one person, rather than several of the same "one disc does everything" in different colours. Can anyone pls recommend me a set or let me know if there are any 2nd hand ones for sale?

I am not interested in buying 4 sets of 3 discs at this stage because we wouldn't get good value out of these given we're unlikely to play very often.

Thanks

Tim

Look at the Innova factory store factory seconds. Might work to start with an Aviar Putt and Approach or similar basic putters. Other makers sell packs of just putters. I'm looking at some Gateway Wizards at the moment, and they sell in twos and fives. Some vendors allow you to see the actual discs, so you can choose color and weight. You have lots of options, but starting the family out with a box of putt and approach type disks is absolutely the way to go. That's what everyone learns with.

Hello,

I played some disc golf today with my family and really enjoyed it. I'd like to buy a 4 discs set to get started (one for each family member), however all the starter kits I can find are for different types of discs for one person, rather than several of the same "one disc does everything" in different colours. Can anyone pls recommend me a set or let me know if there are any 2nd hand ones for sale?

I am not interested in buying 4 sets of 3 discs at this stage because we wouldn't get good value out of these given we're unlikely to play very often.

Thanks

Tim

do you have a local play it again sports that has a used disc golf section

personally i would buy a putter like a dx aviar for each family member and call it a day

start up cost would be $30-40 after tax depending on where you get them

Not sure where you live or if you have any local sources for discs but if you are looking for one disc per person and don't plan on playing often then just go to your local Dicks, Academy, Play It Again, or any dedicated disc golf store in your area and pick up some Innova discs in DX plastic. Should be about $10 a disc. I'd probably say for a "do everything" disc for beginners maybe go with a midrange like a Shark, Mako, or Roc. Whatever you end up doing I hope you all have fun.

I guess I kind of said what elmexdela said but I'd probably go midrange vs a putter if a newer player was going to play infrequently with just one disc.

The only multi-disc package of the same discs, that I've ever seen, are putter packs. But those are usually 6 to 10 discs.

My suggestion is to buy four putt/approach discs...these are good places to check:
Play It Again Sports
Dicks Sporting Goods (usually carry Innova)
Big 5 Sporting Goods (usually carry Innova)

Is there a local disc golf store near you? Try that and they can be very helpful on picking discs for beginners.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting all the same disc, but comparable midranges suitable for novice players. With slight differences, the one or two in the family who catch the bug will have a great starter set of options. Look for a Discraft Comet, a Discraft Buzzz, an Innova Shark, and one more that feels and looks like those. If you can, get bright colors (pink, blue, neon yellow, and orange). Ink your contact info and text / phone number inside the rim (you WILL have lost discs returned if you ink a girl's name, just saying...)
But most of all, Have fun!

Hello,

Thanks

Tim

Very good advice already! Let me help. Go here:

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/dx-shark-factory-second/

Add the quantity you want, probably in the 160-165g class (opinions?). Important: in the NOTES while checking out, ask for all different colors for family members. They're usually good to fulfill requests.

Instead of one disc in 4 colors, consider 4 different discs that aren't SUPER different. Maybe 2 putters, 2 fairways. The upside is that if one person doesn't really enjoy it, or you go to play by yourself...you have 4 discs. When all 4 of you play together, everyone has their own. There isn't enough of a "1 disc does everything" feature that you're gaining much of anything by having the same mold for every person.

So if I was going Discraft, I might get a Luna, a Roach, a Buzzz, and a Meteor...not horribly different for new players to throw...but different enough you might like having all 4 of them if you get a little better and go out on your own. Also lets all 4 of you throw something a little different from time to time if you want to experiment or trade off for a round.

Hello,

Thanks

Tim
Another way to go is a local DG shop, PIAS or other, that sells used discs for a decent price. The PIAS near me sells many used discs for $5 each, which means you only spend $20, or you can get two discs each instead of one. Personally, I would rather have 8 used discs than 4 new ones, and have more to experiment with.

There are only two types of 'multi packs' that I'm aware of:
Putter packs - this can be sets of 6 or 10 and it's so you have plenty of putters and don't have to walk back and forth as much when practicing.

Starter packs - this is normally a 3 disc pack (putter, midrange, and some kind of driver).

For what you are asking, you'd be better off going to a local shop (even PIAS) and just picking up the discs you want for your family. I'd suggest for a 1-disc per person, you get a putt/approach disc which will be a 3 or 4 speed. Discraft Zone, Innova Rat, Axiom Envy are three discs that do both AND can be used off the tee.

However, what happens when you 'outgrow' the disc you have? If you get start packs, you can 'grow' into the other discs in the pack.

Latest posts