• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Player, tell me everything

Mr.Bigg said:
Should I get a gazelle maybe or just use my roc for 200' shots?

If you can get your Roc to go 200' consistantly, consistantly mind you, on demand and close to the metal, don't even think of switching it out. Why do so many folks get the idea that every T shot has to give you a birdy shot, why can't you throw your Valk from the fairway? I just re-read the PDGA rule book and didn't see in it anywhere that if you are in the fairway you must throw a disc that says fairway on it. If a guy can put a 175 Monster in the basket everytime from 30' believe me, he's going use it? Use any disc that 1. you feel confident with and 2. don't let labels on discs dictate what you try, or where on the course you try it, try it all.

Here's one to try, go to your fav local course, take only your putters (3 discs at the most), raise the par on every hole one stroke and have at it. I think the best advise I read in the thread was to have fun, unless you're going to be the next Doss or Climo go for the fun and try everything.

Mr.Bigg said:
TannerBoyle said:
Don't give up on that Shark.

I dunno, I already think I like the roc better. Unless there is a shot a shark can make that a roc can't.

A newer Shark will be better at going straight than a new Roc, but IMO, not as well as a beat Roc.

When you're playing rounds, use the Roc, but take the Shark out with you when you're practicing. It will help you with learning technique early on, but you may not find a use for it on the course. Use your Roc a lot. See how far you can push it out. You should be able to throw it just as hard as your other drivers.

Definitely pick up a fairway driver and I'd say to use it instead of the Valk until you're throwing ~330' consistantly with it. I've been working on pushing my fairway drivers out twards 400' (I may even get there some day) and I've improved more in the few months of doing that than in the year and a half of throwing faster drivers.

Im gonna jump in and say thanks for that advice, I've been throwing my putter a lot more lately anyway on the advice i got from someone at league night.

I HAVE been discouraged by those big KC courses, I just moved there from Northern Va where the courses are short, small and in the woods mostly. Ive been playing for one year now and my distance is pretty lousy, maybe 300' if I'm lucky with my valk. However, I do throw my leopard/gazelles very accurately and they fly like I picture them to most of the time, just not as far as I'd like.

Cheers,
Jeffrey

dgdave said:
Drop the wraith and wait on that. You're flipping your valk most likely because of form. learn to throw that good first. When you go play, just take the roc and aviar. some of the best advice I ever got was,"learn to throw a aviar straight between 250-300 ft and your set." and that is true.

Don't get discuraged at some of those big KC courses either. Find some pros and ask for some advice. or go to emporia and find eric mccabe. super nice guy and a hell of a player.

Have fun

koronin said:
Im gonna jump in and say thanks for that advice, I've been throwing my putter a lot more lately anyway on the advice i got from someone at league night.

I HAVE been discouraged by those big KC courses, I just moved there from Northern Va where the courses are short, small and in the woods mostly. Ive been playing for one year now and my distance is pretty lousy, maybe 300' if I'm lucky with my valk. However, I do throw my leopard/gazelles very accurately and they fly like I picture them to most of the time, just not as far as I'd like.

Cheers,
Jeffrey

dgdave said:
Drop the wraith and wait on that. You're flipping your valk most likely because of form. learn to throw that good first. When you go play, just take the roc and aviar. some of the best advice I ever got was,"learn to throw a aviar straight between 250-300 ft and your set." and that is true.

Don't get discuraged at some of those big KC courses either. Find some pros and ask for some advice. or go to emporia and find eric mccabe. super nice guy and a hell of a player.

Have fun

I just moved from Iowa, and was used to playing on technical, wooded, shorter courses. A lot of the courses in KC (espcially when they're set long) will force you to attempt to make a lot of pars (and there are quite a few par 4's on the courses around here), with a birdie sprinkled in here and there. So as Dave said, don't get discouraged. Rosedale has a beginners league on Mondays that would be a great aid to your game probably. Getting involved with a league may be the single best thing you can do, because you get to develop as a player with other people who have a similar skill set.

Latest posts