• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the forum

buckeye44

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I have been playing disc golf for about a year. I didn't even know we had a course in are town until then. A buddy and I went out with a Innova starter pack and from then on I was hooked. After about a month I decided to buy a wizard, a buzz, and a teebird. Now that I feel I'm getting a little better I'm trying to build a bag and I was hoping for some suggestions on what I currently have. In my bag now I have 2 super soft wizards, a z buzz, a z buzz ss, a champ leopard, a champ teebird, and a z avenger ss. Are there any disc that I could add to my bag that would help my game? I've read a lot of the post on the site and everybody seems so knowledgeable. I look forward to learning more about this great sport.

Welcome to the Addiction, Curse, Sport, or whatever you want to call it from Mississippi!

Great place here to learn, love, hate, ridicule, and don't forget, nerd out on Plastic!

Welcome from NC my friend. You have a solid starter bag and definitely don't need more right away but I know how it is wanting more plastic. I would recommend a lat64 pure for touch shots and approaches and a champ firebird or lat64 trident (if you have a smaller arm) for skip and flex shots.

Welcome buckeye, from another Ohio native!

You have a great set of discs there. Likely will be the core of your bag for years...and why not? The Wizard is arguably one of the best putters, the Buzzz for midrange and the Teebird for fairways and drives. The others give you variety to shape some lines. Excellent choices.

Obviously, feel free to experiment, but know that most of us have more inconsistency in our throws than the discs themselves, so there isn't really a miracle disc. And there will be lots of advice on here to focus on 'slower' discs, rather than going with the temptation to get a high speed disc, thinking it will change your game. They're right. If I had it to do over again, I'd have saved myself a lot of time just walking right on by anything above a speed 9.

If any disc 'should' be added, you'll hear folks suggest a Comet. That's another slow, wide diameter mid that usually belongs in everybody's bag.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice guys. I think at this point I'm just looking for a reason to buy more plastic lol.

Welcome from the sweaty Sac from the California valley. I never realized this until recently, but maybe get an extremely overstable disc and use it for sidearm meat hook type shots, tomahawk shots and other get out of trouble shots. Maybe a mid for short distances and drivers for a little more distance.

Thanks guys. Good to see some fellow buckeyes on here. I would really like to play some of the courses in Columbus some time CrowLegs. I also want to check out disc golf mart. I've never been to a disc golf pro shop.

Welcome to the addiction, buckeye. The main DGM in town is very close to Griggs on Riverside. His smaller store is out my way in Pickerington between our 2 'picktown' courses. Hit me up if you're ever in the area.

Welcome from IL.

I would agree with Sumo. Adding something stupid overstable will give you options for shots that you might not be able to pull off with your current line up. Spike hyzers, low lines with big skips, flex shots with strong fade, tomahawks, are lines that can be most easily hit with overstable discs. I highly recommend getting meat hooks at a few different speeds. There are a bunch to choose from. I throw an esp zone for short shots, predator for long shots, and a champ banshee to fill the gap in between. I also throw a flick for overhand. I don't really need a separate overhand slot but... Oh well.

There are lots of other options too. Firebird, gator, drone, trident, xxx, sinus are great options at a variety of ranges. Try one or two or five. You will have fun with them.

Comets are awesome, but for me, a buzzz covers the same shots. The buzzz likes power and the comet likes finesse. I have bagged both but not usually at the same time. Big floaty anhyzers that don't come back are the only thing you can do with a comet that you can't do with a buzzz. Buzz is also faster and handles wind better.

Welcome from IL.

I would agree with Sumo. Adding something stupid overstable will give you options for shots that you might not be able to pull off with your current line up. Spike hyzers, low lines with big skips, flex shots with strong fade, tomahawks, are lines that can be most easily hit with overstable discs. I highly recommend getting meat hooks at a few different speeds. There are a bunch to choose from. I throw an esp zone for short shots, predator for long shots, and a champ banshee to fill the gap in between. I also throw a flick for overhand. I don't really need a separate overhand slot but... Oh well.

There are lots of other options too. Firebird, gator, drone, trident, xxx, sinus are great options at a variety of ranges. Try one or two or five. You will have fun with them.

Comets are awesome, but for me, a buzzz covers the same shots. The buzzz likes power and the comet likes finesse. I have bagged both but not usually at the same time. Big floaty anhyzers that don't come back are the only thing you can do with a comet that you can't do with a buzzz. Buzz is also faster and handles wind better.

Thanks for the advice. What do you think of the pd1 for the over stable driver shots?

Howdy from your neighbor Indiana!! You picked the best puttah ever right off the bat... :thmbup:

Super solid beginner bag, I don't see anything you'd need right away besides maybe an OS utility... I'd recommend the Banshee because (to me) it's very comfortable and feels similar to a TeeBird in hand. Happy discing! :thmbup:

Last edited:

Latest posts