• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the sport, SE Virginia

BMWRider

Hello everyone!

I quit working this year to complete my dissertation (I am a former teacher & retired Coastie) and got really sedentary really quickly. I am a paleo eater so I am not overweight, I was concerned that sitting behind a computer terminal was kicking my a#% and making me lazy. My youngest son took me disc golfing and I was immediately hooked. I have two courses a few miles from my home and in two weeks (with a good amount of crappy weather) I have been able to play six days. This sport is great and the folks who play it seem to be the best. Anyway I really just want to thank all of you. I put together an inexpensive bag using the three discs thread (three identical putters, three mids and three distance). My boys bought me a basket so I can practice my putts (100 a day) and mid-range throws. I have played at my local course with two experienced players that gave me good advice that I confirmed here on the forums (all I am playing with right now is a mid-range and a putter). This has been a blast! Anyway, thanks again and I hope to see you all out there.

Cool deal. Welcome from just outside Farmville, Va. What courses are you playing?.........jerry

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Welcome and have fun. I hope to play some courses in Virginia one day.

im in VB. what courses have you been playing?

The course at Newport News Park is 10 minutes from my home so when I have an hour and a half I go there. I have also played New Quarter in Williamsburg and think it is an amazing place. Great scenery, thoroughly kicked my son's butt (and he is a decent player) and the players there were all very cool. The guys in the pro shop seemed to love the sport, always a plus.

I have Bayville Park, Bennett's Creek, Bryan Park, Munden Point, Portsmouth Coast Guard Base (I am a retired Coastie and as far as I know this is the only course on an installation in the USA), and The Haymaker on my wishlist. Are there any others here in VA that are "must go?" I also have a Charleston, SC list, that is where my son lives. I have played Park Circle there and have a few others there as well. I have a Saturday trip to Richmond coming up so I will be sure to visit one of the ones up there.

Anyway, thanks for saying hey, confirms my two week impression, I have not met a disc golfer I did not like yet.

i would love to play portsmouth, i need someone to get me in though (im not military).

you'll have another course just down the road from you in a month or two- Waller Mill Park in Williamsburg. It is going to be a beast of a wooded course.

chesapeake is in the process of making a course too

The course at Newport News Park is 10 minutes from my home so when I have an hour and a half I go there. I have also played New Quarter in Williamsburg and think it is an amazing place. Great scenery, thoroughly kicked my son's butt (and he is a decent player) and the players there were all very cool. The guys in the pro shop seemed to love the sport, always a plus.

I have Bayville Park, Bennett's Creek, Bryan Park, Munden Point, Portsmouth Coast Guard Base (I am a retired Coastie and as far as I know this is the only course on an installation in the USA), and The Haymaker on my wishlist

Welcome to the sport and site :thmbup:

Had a chance to play Newport News last July on a vacation to visit some friends. Fun course and seemed like a great group of locals there as well. On the day we played they were hosting a tourney right when we were finishing up. Nice enough to invite us to join them but did not have the time to stay and play, wish we could have.

Also played New Quarter and loved it, beautiful course and very well maintained. Got in a few rounds at Bayville Park too, man that place was hopping in the summertime. People on every pad just about. Very fun DG vacation for me with some nice courses.

I have Bayville Park, Bennett's Creek, Bryan Park, Munden Point, Portsmouth Coast Guard Base (I am a retired Coastie and as far as I know this is the only course on an installation in the USA), and The Haymaker on my wishlist. Are there any others here in VA that are "must go?" I also have a Charleston, SC list, that is where my son lives.

Bayville Park is a decent course, but make sure you get there early. That place gets ridiculous busy during the day.

As far as other courses, on your way to Charleston from Newport News, do yourself a favor and swing through Wilmington and play Castle Hayne, otherwise known as "Castle Pain." You'll be glad you did!

you'll have another course just down the road from you in a month or two- Waller Mill Park in Williamsburg.

That will be awesome. If a season pass is reasonable I would buy that one too. I also know that the Gloucester Park system is looking to build a park up there. That would be great too.

Welcome to the sport and site :thmbup:

Thank you very much. Where are you from in Michigan? I was station in Grand Haven and lived in Holland, I keep thinking they could have some sweet courses up there. Your experiences at our local parts reflect mine.

As far as other courses, on your way to Charleston from Newport News, do yourself a favor and swing through Wilmington and play Castle Hayne, otherwise known as "Castle Pain." You'll be glad you did!

I am putting it on my wishlist now. Thanks for the tip.

Welcome! If you're ever over in the Lynchburg area, let me know! I'd love to play a round!