• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New/Used basket, should I?

pigpen

Par Member
Bought a used Mach III last night.

It is a base model, meaning no portable stand. Should I buy the sleeve and lock her up?

I live in a nice neighborhood and I am considering not locking it up, just cementing a few pipes in the ground so I can move it around my back yard.
Dog passed last month so she will not be able to ward off any bad folks.
Neighbor is a stay at home mom if that matters.

Am I being too trusting.

I don't lock up my basket in metro denver and we have quite a bit of property crime. I just don't imagine thieves seeing a dg basket and thinking "EASY MONEY!"

Of course mine was $77 shipped so I'm a little less worried.

If you live in a nice neighborhood I imagine the last thing someone is going to steal is your basket. I don't know the exact setup, but if you just screw the pole to the pipes in the ground I think that would deter any would-be thieves. Most criminals are lazy opportunists.

The only way to make sure someone doesn't take it is to keep it out of sight. If someone wants something, in most cases it is easy to get. A bolt or screw will not offer much protection, neither will a lock that can also be cut. The person that steals your basket will probably saw it off and call it good or use a channel lock to take the screw/bolt out. Just put it in the ground and screw it in, IMO. That will be enough to deter the true opportunist. If you are going to worry, lock it up inside. Don't do things that don't make a difference if someone wants it.

Put a "Protected by Smith and Wesson" sticker on it. It'll probably be ok without it, but it's good to keep the bad guys in doubt.

(Mine doesn't have a sticker, but it is protected.)

Just slap a few "High Voltage" stickers on it and most clueless theives/vandalls won't risk it. A lock has never stopped anyone from stealing if they want something bad enough.

Put a "Protected by Smith and Wesson" sticker on it. It'll probably be ok without it, but it's good to keep the bad guys in doubt.

(Mine doesn't have a sticker, but it is protected.)

Don't own a S&W.
Will Beretta, Benelli, H&K or Colt stickers have the same impact?

I've got my $299 basket sitting free in my backyard...and I live a block from a course. No worries.

I leave mine outside. I used to bring it next to the house or inside, but it's been sitting there for a couple months now. Real bad weather is the what makes me bring it in. Don't want tree limbs falling on it.

I live in a nice neighborhood in a nice town.

Lock it. I had one stolen. The downside is not just the loss of a basket. You turn into someone who hates at least one disc golfer. It took me years to get over that. Protect both yourself and that guy who is going to steal it if you make it too easy.

Besides, there is nothing more embarrassing than taking up a cop's valuable time by explaining why you are crying about losing your Frisbee catcher.