• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Workout Idea

RobS

I was thinking of ways to help my distance on rainy days, and I came up with an idea. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks or if they've ever tried this. Basically my idea is to drill a hole in the flight plate, just inside the edge of the rim, of a random champion/z type plastic driver, slide a carabiner in said hole and attach it to a cable machine or resistance band. Then you would practice the motions of your drives. Don't release the disc though! Having that fly back at you would not be something to enjoy. :doh: I picked champion/z line because they are affordable & durable. I'm leaning more towards the band that way you have increased resistance as you move towards the hit, and because who had an adjustable cable machine at home. What do you guys think? Dumb? Might be on to something? Already been done?

I honestly think you'd be better off working on grip strength or actually working out. It's a nice idea, but if I'm going to train I'm not just going to train one part. sort of like skipping leg day. There are plenty of exercises that could accomplish what you are going for. :)

I use a resistance band to loosen up my back in the morning before I play. I hooked it to a heavy shelf in the garage and originally had a champ groove hooked to the other end. The disc wound up being uncomfortable once the power band got stretched more than 10'-12'. Now I just use the power band without the disc. I think he helps loosen me up, but I don't think it added any distance to my drives.

Not a bad idea but just remember that most of your distance is going to come from your core in disc golf. Instead of using a band and it possibly messing with your form I would just do some core workouts, sit-ups, crunches, super mans, etc... Just an idea!

I don't really think that added physical strength adds much to your drive. Simon Lizotte isn't exacly muscular, but he throws pretty far. I would rather spend my time putting indoors (if possible), or just waiting for the rain to pass.

You'll probably get better results with some good field work. Practice mindfully, throwing with as much attention as you would in a round.

I was thinking of ways to help my distance on rainy days, and I came up with an idea. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks or if they've ever tried this. Basically my idea is to drill a hole in the flight plate, just inside the edge of the rim, of a random champion/z type plastic driver, slide a carabiner in said hole and attach it to a cable machine or resistance band. Then you would practice the motions of your drives. Don't release the disc though! Having that fly back at you would not be something to enjoy. :doh: I picked champion/z line because they are affordable & durable. I'm leaning more towards the band that way you have increased resistance as you move towards the hit, and because who had an adjustable cable machine at home. What do you guys think? Dumb? Might be on to something? Already been done?

I have actually done this exactly (with a resistance band). I attach the other end to the middle hinge on a door frame. I feel like it helps me tell which muscles are engaging as I go through the throw in slow motion. The other thing it is good for is feeling the pull on a straight line because you always have the resistance on that line. I don't think it is particularly good as a method of building or strengthening muscles other than your grip because I don't think it is productive to try and pull through full speed on it. There is just not enough control and it is not similar enough to a real throw.

I think feldy made reference to this resistance band idea in some video for learning correct pull through. I do callisthenics and yoga. I've lost 20#s since last summer from cutting out the weights but I throw better than I did when I used to lift weights.

Thanks for all your input! I would definitely use this in addition to my existing work out routine and field work. I should have stated my backhand is god awful. I really just need to get the mechanics down, and figured this could help me with pulling on that one straight line. I hoped it would help with focusing on pulling harder and faster as you move closer towards the hit too. But thanks again guys.

Latest posts