• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newb help with disc choice for

Todd Merica

Hello,
I am a 1 year newb. I have a beat in 166 gm DX beast that I can hyzer flip for a beautiful long straight drive or tunnel shot (and if I snap it hard enough it will flip up and go left, I am a lefty thrower).
I want to move up to champ plastic, and I was wondering what weight and disc would be easy for me to hyzer flip in champ plastic (the champ seems more stable).
I throw a DX beast, Viking, leopard and cheetah. I just started throwing a west side Underworld but I cant quite get the hyzer flip on underworld.
I have read that a lighter weight or blizzard Katana or Vulcan is easy to hyzerflip and I just want peoples thoughts or real life experiance with these or other champ plastic that seems easy for a newb to hyzer flip.
Thanks!

I would strongly advise agains buying something that fast. It might flip, but it won't do so consistently (especially at such a light weight). If the Underworld isn't flipping for you, you might want to look into a Diamond.

I've got a champ beast that I used as my go to hyzer flip disc. I also have tried the katana and vulcan in star. I'm not as successful with the katana or vulcan, and didn't even bag them after trying to work them in. If your good with the dx, i would keep it in the bag and pick up a champ in the same weight or just a bit lighter. The champ will be a little less flippy in general and will take more time to break in. I'd throw the dx if you have a little room to the left for it to turn and come back. I'd throw the champ when you have a little room to the right in case you don't get a complete flip up.

Just buy a new, slightly heavier, DX Beast.

OR, if you want to Switch things up, you could go with a certain hyzer flipper from MVP. An Inspire would work well also.

I am not adverse with throwing a non Innova for sure, I love the feel of my underworld but I cant hyzerflip it for that super straight shot. ( but I almost can, maybe a few more trees lol).
Maybe a beast in a lighter weight champ, or even a blizzard would hyzer for me eventually?
A diamond to hyzerflip, I will look that up, also saw a MVP but wasnt sure on the name? and a inspire.
From what I have seen so far here, even a Katana or Vulcan in light blizzard might not hyzer flip like my beat in DX beast does.( I am a lefty, and if I really snap it it will pop up and go left, a little less snap I get a nice striaght or very light S out of it.
If this helps, I still stand and throw, and I am 250-280 average feet thrower.
If I go with blizzard I can walk in the store and get them , and return them of I dont care for them.
Buying online I am stuck with them, but if they are known to hyzer for a tosser that cant get over 300 ft then I am willing to try them.
Thanks for the info so far guys, I plan to get some new plastic Tuesday, so keep the advice coming!

Last edited:
Axiom, a company started by MVP, makes the inspire. MVP makes a switch, which is an understable fairway driver. MVP also makes an inertia, which is one of there high speed drivers. It in my opinion, closest to a beast from MVP. My bag is all MVP, so I'm a fan.
However, I would go with something you know and trust and can try out locally. I'd try the champ beast, and go exploring from there.
I throw right around 300 myself. Your next disc will probably not get you the 20 feet your looking for. Just work on your form and it will show up.
But I will add, I hate blizzards, just awful feeling to me.

I would also recommend staying away from blizzard plastic. I have tried a bunch of different ones and it is really hit or miss, some have been super flippy and others much more stable than they should be, even staying with the same mold.

What weight and plastic is your underworld? I'd also say diamond or jade if you have a heavier underworld in VIP and want it to flip up more. Both discs are sneaky long for their speed. The switch and inspire are also in the same class of disc and while I do love MVP I personally didn't mesh very well with them. The inertia however is just plain awesome. Pick up a 150 class and I think you'll like it a lot. If you want to get innova in champion / star maybe look for a 150 class sidewinder? Overall I think diamond for fairway duties, inertia for distance and keep beating in your DX beast for turnovers would be a great combo.

Not sure what the plastic type is on the underworld, but its feels like a champ with the grip of a star and it is 169.
Someone on another thread said star was less stable then champ, but I was under the impression that they are about equal in the stabilty Vs a DX?
I threw a 150 blizzard (something or other) and it just felt all wrong to me, I just got it high in the air really quick, not sure why unless it was the weight.
I am up to try anything from innova right now because I can get it on the shelf, then maybe order some of these others later down the road.
So I am hearing sidewinder and mambas as well?
Thanks for all the advice, I plan to pick up a lightweight champ or blizzard beast today, and tomorrow I see what they have in the other store across the mountian as per the advice I see here.

I would also recommend staying away from blizzard plastic. I have tried a bunch of different ones and it is really hit or miss, some have been super flippy and others much more stable than they should be, even staying with the same mold.

I'm not sure if that's a blizz problem or just a general problem for lightweight discs.

I have some lightweight early champ, star, as well as 11x that has been inconsistent. Yet, I've bought multiple production generations of 163g blizz Wraiths that fly exactly the same as the last one.

I threw a 150 blizzard (something or other) and it just felt all wrong to me, I just got it high in the air really quick, not sure why unless it was the weight.

If you release nose-up with a light disc it will rise more than its heavier, same mold counterpart. More so if you're getting the ligher one up to speed but not the heavier.

If you want to improve as quick as possible, use discs that accentuate form flaws. Those would be slow (those you can at least power up or overpower), light, understable or a combination thereof.

Granted, you'll need to carry stable discs as well because some shots demand it but when ever you can take the straighter-to-turn over line, do so.

I used 140-150g Wraiths for max D drivers for about a year and controlling them as they beat in to extreme understability was the best training a disc can offer.