• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie looking for help with drive, inc video

i just checked out the vid, there has been plenty of good advice already, but here is mine.

i was always taught to look at the target until, because of my reachback, my shoulder turns my head back, if you notice at :25 you are on your first step and your head is already looking away from the target. at full speed it looks like the first thing you do is jerk your head around and look away from the target. so maybe try to hold your eye on the target a little longer. you can turn your hips back (closed) while looking forward.

also, i think others have pointed out, your arm is faster than your hips. think about pushing off of your back leg. somewhere around :27.5 your hips are fully open and your elbow is bent and you have begun pulling through, but check your back knee, its still bent and pointing away from the direction you are moving. at this point your knee cap should be pointing toward the target, which pushes your hips around and your arm should still be reaching back, just starting to be pulled forward by the motion of your body....the point is your back leg doesnt seem to be doing anything, it needs to be the powerhouse, notice your follow through is really shallow, its because your left leg is lagging behind, if you push off with that back leg and drive your hips open, your follow through will be full, your right arm will whip around towards your back...

i hope this makes sense...its all a lot to take in...but you are already on the right track video'ng your drive and asking for advice. we should all do that...good luck..

I'm new to Disc Golf too. I'm friends with Midnightbiker personally. He's told me some things. (that is how I became interested) I've watched a few vids on YouTube about throwing and the X-Step. My issues are not speed/distance (at this time), but making the disc go the way/direction I want it. I know from talking to Midnightbiker, the disc is either over-stable or under-stable by design. I currently have 2 discs. An Innova Gazelle and an Innova Aviar. So any tips for throwing to ensure the disc goes where I want it is very welcomed. Since I'm more than a newbie. I'm hoping to move up to newbie status :D . I have a 4 acre pasture I can practice in. So what is advised? MANY THANKS!

I'm new to Disc Golf too. I'm friends with Midnightbiker personally. He's told me some things. (that is how I became interested) I've watched a few vids on YouTube about throwing and the X-Step. My issues are not speed/distance (at this time), but making the disc go the way/direction I want it. I know from talking to Midnightbiker, the disc is either over-stable or under-stable by design. I currently have 2 discs. An Innova Gazelle and an Innova Aviar. So any tips for throwing to ensure the disc goes where I want it is very welcomed. Since I'm more than a newbie. I'm hoping to move up to newbie status :D . I have a 4 acre pasture I can practice in. So what is advised? MANY THANKS!
Playing catch with your aviar while continually increasing the distance should get you comfy with that disc.

Thanks all for the continued advice! :)
Update: I've been practicing the Dan Beto drills daily with great result! Currently I'm getting close to the same distance as before, with just the `1-step` hit! I'm noticing that I'm getting a lower, flatter trajectory as well as a `whoosh` sound on the hit that I didn't have before. Integrating a reach back proves to be a little more difficult than I thought, so I'm going a little bit at a time. It looks like this practice field may soon get too small! :)

Follow through! Make your pull slower and accelerate once the elbow passes the shoulder and keep the disc closer to your chest. Your X step looks ok, but your not gaining any power because you are slowing down at the hit. Your arm should explode around on the follow through and you are dropping your right shoulder. Finish with your right shoulder high.

Thanks all for the continued advice! :)
Update: I've been practicing the Dan Beto drills daily with great result! Currently I'm getting close to the same distance as before, with just the `1-step` hit! I'm noticing that I'm getting a lower, flatter trajectory as well as a `whoosh` sound on the hit that I didn't have before. Integrating a reach back proves to be a little more difficult than I thought, so I'm going a little bit at a time. It looks like this practice field may soon get too small! :)
sounds good keep it up:)

Latest posts