• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko's old style of putting vs new

people who putt like that do it because their theory is that the disc angle when it hits the chains has a better chance of falling in and not spitting out

What are you guys putting with that you have to switch to zones and gators in wind?? I have always just used my regular putter and normal putt stroke and just aim different or adjust the nose angle

I use aviars, but I'm a habitual nose-up style of putter and get in trouble in heavy winds with my aviars.

My question about Nikko (and some other pros I think I've seen) is, Why the "nose down" approach? It seems like he throws nose down putts consistently, so it's either his intended style or a bad habit. I'm not sure which, but either way I don't see it helping him.

Nose down prevents stalling out on longer putts.

My question about Nikko (and some other pros I think I've seen) is, Why the "nose down" approach? It seems like he throws nose down putts consistently, so it's either his intended style or a bad habit. I'm not sure which, but either way I don't see it helping him.

Pitch/push putting is pretty prone to to being nose down. Its just tough to throw a push putt any other way

Just seems like an ineffective way to throw a frisbee (ok, DISC) of any sort. Though yes, his comebackers aren't as bad as some other pros... I'd rather see no need for the comebackers, though.

i dunno. schusterick is significantly worse i feel like. but when you're watching mcbeth can like 98% of his putts inside the circle everyone else seems like they fell off..

i dunno. schusterick is significantly worse i feel like. but when you're watching mcbeth can like 98% of his putts inside the circle everyone else seems like they fell off..

I don't know that Schusterick was ever that great of a putter. I definitely feel like Nikko is worse than he used to be, though.

I've done the same, but meh...winds are usually at or above that here and I've learned it's better to have a little hyzer...only miss one way and adjusting to winds is what we do in DG so just aim different.

Makes no sense. Putt with hyzer in a 20 mph crosswind? Good luck.

Doesn't matter if it's r/l or l/r. You're either gonna sail or you won't ever make it to the basket. The way you putt you'd have to compensate way too much for anything to go near the basket if the wind is as stiff as you claim.

Last edited:

Doesn't matter if it's r/l or l/r. You're either gonna sail or you won't ever make it to the basket. The way you putt you'd have to compensate way too much for anything to go near the basket if the wind is as stiff as you claim.

I agree this is a problem from personal experience. I have tried to putt the disc more flat, but it is just super inconsistent. I have come to the realization that I have to take the bad with the good. I usually just try to adjust ever so slightly when windy.

Plenty of guys pitch/push putt with hyzer. Shultz, climo, locastro, brinster, the list goes on. McBeth even uses a slight hyzer as well.

Yeah, not really fair to compare the McRobot to actual humans.

Wouldn't that exacerbate the problem? The gator would fade and show even more flight plate to the wind.

One would think so, but all I can say is that it works for me. My Star Gator tends to get blown around less, finds the ground more quickly when it dumps out.

A gator or zone putt can handle a decent r-l crosswind on a hyzer if you spin it. A confident stroke is needed.

In crosswinds, I tend to either disc up to the Rask or pull out the K1 Burg, neither have enough lift for a cross wind to affect them greatly...assuming you don't allow the wind to see the bottom of the disc.

Yes, I actually putt with the Rask at times