• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Nitro 23mm Driver

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
Just popped on the approved list:

Weight- 176g

dia- 21.2cm

height- 1.9cm

rim depth- 1.2cm

rim thick- 2.4cm

Yea Zam just said in the other thread the nitro will be the stable-OS of the class. With less gap between it and the Ocatane than Photon/wave...

I saw the specs for the new disc, is there any way to determine how they fly by them?

I saw the specs for the new disc, is there any way to determine how they fly by them?

Not really. You can tell how sharp the wing is from the specs (rim configuration), but you can't tell how high the wing height is, how domey it is, or how concave the underside of the wing is, which all have an affect on stability. However, over in the MVP Disc Sports thread, one guy has already given a mini review of how they fly for a slower arm so take a peak over there.

If you go to YouTube and MVP Discs' channel, it shows the flight pattern of this new 23mm class. It's a very stable disc for lower power arms. I mentioned in the other thread that I'd put it at 13 / 5 / -1 / 3 on Innova's scale. The Nitro will likely be compared to longer Photon by bigger arms.

How far do you throw, turtle?

The MVP graphs look pretty, but I wish they had distances next to those lines. What will this do at 350' of power?

class_nitro.png

I'm gonna get a blank and put a "Call me Mike" stamp on it.

Distances are misleading for the official charts IMHO, but with 350' of power, I'd guess that the middle line, or the power below that one, would apply for your throw. I'm about 350' as well and usually the middle line represents my arm, but in the higher two speed classes I would kick it a notch lower in effective power.

The MVP graphs look pretty, but I wish they had distances next to those lines. What will this do at 350' of power?

class_nitro.png

I always assumed the max on that chart was 500' and the minimum was 200'.

That would make the others 50' intervals.

Distances are misleading for the official charts IMHO, but with 350' of power, I'd guess that the middle line, or the power below that one, would apply for your throw. I'm about 350' as well and usually the middle line represents my arm, but in the higher two speed classes I would kick it a notch lower in effective power.

Same here. I throw a Volt like 325-350. For most of the discs, I get flight closest to the "longer" of the two middle lines.

The Nitro disc made by MVP Disc Sports was PDGA Approved on 5-13-2016.

"The MVP Nitro is a stable-overstable distance driver from the new high speed 23mm class. Nitro falls in the general stability lineage of Servo, Volt, Tesla, and Photon, with a turn-resistant profile that covers ground and guarantees a fade finish. Average throwers may need lighter weights or headwinds to achieve what little turn is offered by Nitro, while power throwers will find a workable and responsive shallow turn.

The 23mm class cores are deeper than typical MVP drivers to afford more glide for distance, and feature a nice dome not typically seen in MVP drivers. From its shape to its weight distribution, the 23mm class is built for distance.

The 23mm class features four models -- Energy, Nitro, Octane, and Catalyst, with their stability spectrum more evenly spaced than the 21.5mm class. In other words, Nitro and Octane will not have as great of a divide in stability as is seen between the Photon and Wave. Nitro will debut in grippy Neutron plastic." - by MVP Disc Sports
mvp_nitro.jpg

Photon on the left, Nitro on the right. Not having seen these two profiles side by side, I think it definitely supports the "longer Photon" theory. This Nitro had the worst flashing I've seen on an MVP disc. I sanded it down, but you can still see remnants on the tip of the overmold. Not really a big deal, and likely a molding factor with this sharp of a wing. But noticeable nonetheless.

Latest posts