• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No Limits on Disc Design

Horsman

Pandamonium Discs
Gold level trusted reviewer
If there were no PDGA guidelines on disc design, what would discs look like today?
Would they look all that different from what we use currently?

The Aerobie Ring flies pretty far.

It does, but do you think people would actually use it. I keep trying to think of where disc design would be if there was nothing holding it back and I keep thinking that the form factor that we have now is pretty close to optimal.

Probably different materials, maybe some metal pieces or even legal wooden discs like Flywood that were able to be mass produced.

Heavier weight ratios for sure, there used to be some very interesting smaller discs that were 200g but not legal and for overstable discs that could be interesting.

Probably wouldn't actually be good, but I could have seen more Quest style specialty discs being produced if it was legal to do more things like that.

I would also like to assume that safety is never a concern.

There is NEVER anyone in the way and NO ONE will ever get hurt.

So spikes/blades added to cut thru brush could be possible as long as you make sure to grip it in the right place.

I would also like to assume that safety is never a concern.

There is NEVER anyone in the way and NO ONE will ever get hurt.

So spikes/blades added to cut thru brush could be possible as long as you make sure to grip it in the right place.

Correct, I wanted people to be able to think outside the norm and not have to deal with safety since I think thats why we cant have knife edge discs or discs that are too hard and too heavy.

That would be a funny experiment. Attach rare earth magnets around the rim of a putter and see if you can get it to hang from the chains even if you just graze the edge.

I think we have all wondered this, I would love to see this. I should hit up Trash Panda and see if he can do it

So magnetic saw blades?
And we'd just get them at the hardware store. :|

This is an interesting question. I think weight would be the biggest thing. A frisbee can only be molded in a few ways to actually fly appropriately for disc golf use. We would definitely have something higher than a speed 13. I don't see spikes on the bottom working out for most people but definitely some discs molded with the hit and sit mentality I am just not sure how that would be done.

How about disc launchers along the same/similar concept as sling shots?
I've seen pictures of something like this. It could add mad distance to anyone's drive.

Somehow have the spikes on the disc only come out after the throw. Like a little mechanical switch that you can activate or deactivate.

Would be interesting to see if something could be built so that you can alter the state of flight at anytime throughout the flight path. Like you can manually make some air flaps open up to slow a disc or make it more OS or something.

How about disc launchers along the same/similar concept as sling shots?
I've seen pictures of something like this. It could add mad distance to anyone's drive.

This is where I didnt want the conversation to go.

Latest posts