• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No Limits on Disc Design

NERF...

I would just use a Nerf Football for almost anything straight, lol

Honestly used my nerf football with the tail for my first round on a DG course, then

went to the White Hen Pantry concenience store to buy 3 Discs! Those tails on the nerf ball

worked really well actually. I might have been better off just sticking with nerf ;)

Wasn't Salient's first disc, the Prometheus, pretty much a super class diameter distance driver?

Too lazy to look at the pdga site for the dimensions, but I want think it the rim itself was about the same size as any other distance driver just a larger diameter, which they claimed would allow it to glide better?

Obviously it was Salient, so it was more than likely just hype. Some were super flippy, the tigers were beefy...they were all over the place stability wise but still an interesting design concept.

I'd be curious to know if there's any desire for the pdga to revisit their technical standards to allow for more unique design potential or if the mindset is to keep approved discs fairly close in specifications to help ensure an even playing field.

Wasn't Salient's first disc, the Prometheus, pretty much a super class diameter distance driver?

Too lazy to look at the pdga site for the dimensions, but I want think it the rim itself was about the same size as any other distance driver just a larger diameter, which they claimed would allow it to glide better?

Obviously it was Salient, so it was more than likely just hype. Some were super flippy, the tigers were beefy...they were all over the place stability wise but still an interesting design concept.

I'd be curious to know if there's any desire for the pdga to revisit their technical standards to allow for more unique design potential or if the mindset is to keep approved discs fairly close in specifications to help ensure an even playing field.

Yea, it was just a large diameter distance driver. The rim felt like a speed 13 or so. The disc was super hyped up and then ended up being worse then most distance drivers. I had a few of them when they first came out hoping it would unlock some new distance potential but it didnt. At the time I had the discs I was almost at 600' of max distance and I dont think I could get the discs over 450' maybe. I had a lot of people try them too and not a single person liked it.

I think we have all wondered this, I would love to see this. I should hit up Trash Panda and see if he can do it

No reason that the magnets would need to be molded in to the plastic; at least to test the concept. Just need to make a few (evenly spaced) cavities in the rim, insert magnets, and glue.

Would love to see a disc hit the chastity belt and just stick!

Discs would be made out of super hard plastic.

Drivers would be much sharper.

Discs would have metal weighting agent in the wings.

There would be super heavy putt and approach discs.

There would be more drivers like the Aerobie Epic with huge wings.

There would be smaller diameter drivers.

Every company would have a disc like the Quest AT Turbo Putt.

There would be more discs like the Quest AT The Wheel for rolling.

And someone would make a disc that is a 70' long oval so you could just stick it in the basket instead of having to putt. Heck they could make ~300' long disc so you can ace any hole under 300'. Or a 1000' foot long disc...

Discs would be made out of super hard plastic.

Drivers would be much sharper.

Discs would have metal weighting agent in the wings.

There would be super heavy putt and approach discs.

And someone would make a disc that is a 70' long oval so you could just stick it in the basket instead of having to putt. Heck they could make ~300' long disc so you can ace any hole under 300'. Or a 1000' foot long disc...

MVP already does the weighted wing thing.

10 meter brick putter was a flop.

Sharp drivers would cause damage to hands.

Practicality of carrying a 300' disc? Or a 70' disc?

Last edited:
Someone can note exactly when, but a while back the PDGA polled the membership about continuing to allow designs like the Turbo-Putt, Wheel and their ilk.

I voted to close that can of worms as fast as possible.

Someone can note exactly when, but a while back the PDGA polled the membership about continuing to allow designs like the Turbo-Putt, Wheel and their ilk.

I voted to close that can of worms as fast as possible.

I dont remember being polled about this but I would have voted to let it keep going. The more odd stuff that is out there the better, in my eyes.

When I was a kid I had a frisbee (of sorts) that was made of a durable but very flexible material (think solid vinyl mesh) with a thin sandbag forming a circle around the edge. You could throw it like a ball, and if you tucked it correctly, it'd stay until it hit something (Think Matt Bell with the blowfly). If you didn't tuck it correctly or just balled it up in your hand like a sheet of paper it'd unravel as soon as you threw it. In that case it'd start spinning in the direction of the spin (somewhat logically). I can see that being useful for some odd shots, especially for getting over something and sticking where you land and not going far.

Anyway, from that I also think it'd be nice to have a disc that has both a firm and a collapsible setting. The collapsible setting would occur when there was an impact on the rim, and the firm setting would be manual. It'd be helpful for putting: set it to firm manually, putt the disc, and when it hits the basket it collapses. Therefore it'd (theoretically) reduce spit-outs and stop roll-aways.

MVP already does the weighted wing thing.

Metal weight?

10 meter brick putter was a flop.

When did I mention the 10 Meter Brick?

Sharp drivers would cause damage to hands.

Do you not understand what the suffix "er" does to the word sharp. You can make a disc sharper without causing damage to your hands.

Practicality of carrying a 300' disc? Or a 70' disc?

That's what caddies are for.